Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1975 Coupe De Ville? Worth purchasing?

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  HartfordGuy 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

After stopping at the navy base today, I saw a 1975 Coupe DeVille for sale. The car is in good overall shape, with a straight body and nice aligned panels. The interior is red leather, which is in great shape, including the headliner. The dash has a small crack in the center section. The roof is a white vinyl top, which is in good condition overall except for the lower trim band which wraps around the bottom of the roof to hide the screws and clips that hold the vinyl to the roof. On each side, they are bulging out a bit. The paint is red, with no scratches or cracks, but it looks like it needs a light going-through with some Ultimate Compound and a polisher to get the vibrant "RED" color back. No rust anywhere on the car including the floor pans and undercarriage.

The odometer reads 41K miles. I'm assuming the engine is the 500 cu. in. Tires are good all around. The car was purchased by an older gentleman who lived in Oregon, to be restored, and after passing away, his daughter received it, and now wants to sell it.

How do these cars hold up? Any trouble spots I should look out for? Any common issues on these cars? They are asking $3900 for the car, but I want to be sure I can make my money back if something comes up... Sound like a safe bet before I call and check with the owner?

I'm used to dealing in newer vehicles, so when a classic like this comes my way, I get a bit nervous about dropping a few G's for it.

Thanks,
Nick

See less See more
#2 ·
The basic issues with this car have to do with rust, notably around the backlight, under the vinyl top, and in the lower body, especially behind the front wheels, in the rocker panels, and behind the rear wheels and in the trunk pan. The bulging molding gives me pause. Take a magnet and go back and test all the body all over, especially in those areas I mentioned and in those areas where that top molding is bulging. I'm willing to bet there was major rust there that was covered with bondo that's now giving way.

Also, $3900 is a bit steep. If all is in order, look to pay closer to $2500-$2700.

#3 ·
Sounds nice and a fair price. Areas to look at closely are the chrome rocker panels. Those trap in water which cause rust under the moldings. If the front fender rocker molding is held on with a sheet metal screw that is a bad sign. Under the vinyl top edge is a rust prone area as well. Rear plastic fender extensions fade and get brittle with age. Replacement kits are available though. If the car isn't rusty and the paint and seats are presentable go for it. The crack in the dash pad is minor. All 1975s have the 500 cu.in V8.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.