Cadillac Owners Forum banner

What are those lights on the rear impact strip for?

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  brougham 
#1 ·
Those lights on the rear bumper that are incorporated into the impact strip, what are they for? I turned on the lights, used the Hazard lights used the blinkers and hit the brakes... and those bumper lights never came on. I checked them and cleaned all of the grease out of the sockets, they still don't work. bulbs look brand new.:wtf:

#6 ·
Shit! now I gotta crawl back underneath the boat and double check. I coulda swore they are seperate from the back-up lights......I'll be right back........well those lights ARE the back-up lights and the strip-lights are only reflectors. this is my first Cadillac and it does not have an owners manual. I'm trying to get the car as straight and clean as I can, so I get ahead of myself sometimes. Thanks for all of the replies.

#7 ·
Rear fog lamps for the European and Asian export market.

They had amber rear signal too". I've seen those lights on some of the Big Bodies on youtube, I wondered where those came from, they're not my thing, but I also wondered why GM did not make this brighter, more safety oriented type of tail-light standard for the model. The yellow is brighter and that's a good thing (especialy if you don't want your ride rear-ended and totalled by someone who's can't see your standard red tail-lights in the bright sun) those Fleetwood tail-lights can get cloudy and dim, that's real dangerous.

#10 ·
^Yellow is more visible than red, and when the brake lights and turn signals are the same color and intensity, it can be a little distracting. There have been a few times where I have been following an old Caprice or Bonneville, and didn't realize they where braking or had the blinker on; it's just a wall of monotone light. The amber signal breaks up the monotony and makes you pay attention to what the car in front of you is doing. That's why all European imports and most post millennium cars use them.

#12 ·
It's proven science that yellow is more visible than red. Yellow light had a faster wavelength that transmits farther over distances. Red light has a slower wavelength that is it harder for our eyes to receive. That's why, if you ever look at the stars, all of the red ones are dim and barely viable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.