: So who is left on the board?

rueben44
07-27-11, 06:05 PM
As someone that has followed this board a while before getting the car this month I have noticed a trend.....downward. What I mean is I guess most people have moved on to other cars or something because post are getting far and in between. Sure you may be 100 views but no one is going to answer LOL!

So once again can we do a little check in?

Like I'm in Houston,TX
90 Allante with 83K
I've just owned it a month and it is burning through my pockets.
tomorrow I'm doing shocks all around, Vacuum thing on the transmission and replacing the
oil filter because it is leaking. I get more and more fond of the car as I drive it and boy
it gets more attention than I thought it would have.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f42/rueben44/NewImage.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f42/rueben44/NewImage2.jpg

Ok if there is anyone out there....

OffThaHorseCEO
07-28-11, 11:01 AM
im here!

i check this section everyday at least one a day, not much activity here like you said.

heres my AllantÚ. Shes an 89 with 90k. The paint was scuffed on the doors so i repainted it

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/Offthahorseceo/Caddy/DSCN1099.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/Offthahorseceo/Caddy/DSCN1101.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/Offthahorseceo/Caddy/DSCN1103.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/Offthahorseceo/Caddy/DSCN1104.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/Offthahorseceo/Caddy/DSCN1105.jpg

I put some aftermarket wheels on that i understand arent everybodys cup of tea but i like them and they are attention grabbers. heres a better shot
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/Offthahorseceo/IMG_00000061.jpg

and one with the top down
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/Offthahorseceo/IMG_20110407_170454.jpg

rueben44
07-28-11, 07:42 PM
Yea I check by once a day also and....it is dead. What size are those rims I really like them. My buddy has a hardtop and after he has been looking at my car he has decided to fix his up. I really thought I would have been able to grab it from him.
Here is a pic of the wheels I plan on buying in 18's. After toiling on installing the shocks all around today I am calling it quits and going to the shop in the morning.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheels/avarus/swap/avarus_av6_sm_ci3_l.jpg

Anyone else around

OffThaHorseCEO
07-29-11, 06:21 PM
Thanks, the wheels are 20's

I "lucked out" and found them already painted white with the red strip, they are supposed to be black with the aluminum "lip"

i like the wheels you posted too, are those 2/3 piece?

my car is out of commission right now, i started some maintenance a bit too late on my only day off, got the engine tilted exhaust manifold bolts out and the cat bolts out but cant get the cat or manifolds off. it got dark and i gave up.

when i get more time to finish i'll be replacing the exhaust manifold gaskets, spark plugs, plug wires, gutting the cat, replacing the lower heater hose and general clean up.

rueben44
07-29-11, 08:07 PM
No they are a single cast. I understand your situation with running out of time that is how I end up almost every time I am doing work. I have gotten mine to idle well but I am having issues with it running a little ruff when going into second. Oh well I guess I will just have to spend the money to get it running better. So I want to know what your ride quality is like because even though I want 18" I would love some 19's even more.

OffThaHorseCEO
07-30-11, 10:59 AM
well, to be 100% percent honest, it didnt degrade my quality one bit. ride height is still the same and the ride is still what i was used to.

HOWEVER, my front suspension has needed work since i got the car, so that could be why i didnt notice a difference, it was probably already as bad as it was gonna get.

maybe you can take the car to one of those rent a wheel places, they usually have first week free promotions, just have them throw any set of 19's on and see how you like the ride. then take em back and tell em you didnt like the ride.

rueben44
07-30-11, 08:25 PM
LOL! That is to funny but a good idea. Well man looks like we are it no one else is left here. I guess without a support system the Allante's will be phasing out and into history.

On a side note I did 3 of my shocks today and boy is the ride so much nicer. If I can get the car to just run better off the line it would be a dream.

OffThaHorseCEO
07-30-11, 09:19 PM
i hate to link a competing board but try this

http://allante.us/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

or google allante net. its not poppin by any means but theres more activity there and its an all allante forum. there are a few gurus there who have parted multiple allantes and know the finer details.

my name there is Martin

rueben44
07-31-11, 01:20 PM
oh yea I have been meaning to email my registration but did not have my vin on hand to complete it. I will do that today and will look for you on that forum also.

m0ng0
08-15-11, 05:19 AM
I just purchased a 93 so I will be here all the time, reading lurking and learning all I can about these beautiful cars !

OffThaHorseCEO
08-15-11, 12:18 PM
congrats on your purchase! hope you enjoy your allante and post LOTS of pics

rueben44
08-15-11, 10:24 PM
Yea congrats and as I said in another thread post some pictures.

larry3828
09-16-11, 09:23 AM
I'm new here, too. Hate to think I've just gotten on a board and now it's going away. Anyway, I've owned a red 93 with tan interior for about two years now. It was originally owned by my mother-in-law who decided it would be a good idea to give it to my son when he graduated from high school. Not!! I warned her it wasn't a good idea, but she did it anyway and he proceeded to try to destroy it for the next couple of years. He thought it was a hot rod and would race people in it and he had three accidents with it--all pretty minor. The last one required the replacement of the left front fender and headlight and dents needed to be fixed on both rear quarter panels and pretty much the whole thing needed to be repainted. I finally took it from him and gave him $10k to put down on an F-150 quad cab which he stills has 2+ years later and loves it. The truth is that I lusted after it when she had it and wanted to buy it from her when she got tired of it. So it worked out pretty good for me. It had just over 21k miles on it when she gave it to him and now it is around 31.5K miles. I've put about 3000 miles on it in the 2+ years I've had it, but it has issues and I will be picking the brains of those of you on here hopefully to try to get it back in the shape I'd like to see it in.

Lord Cadillac
09-16-11, 10:35 AM
I don't think there's much Allante discussion going on anywhere, honestly. There were some serious issues between a few very active members on other Allante forums years ago - and after that fallout, a lot was lost. I'd love to see more Allante talk but, honestly, it's unlikely to happen at this point...

OffThaHorseCEO
09-16-11, 12:35 PM
The unfortunate thing is that knowledge and especially parts for the allante are so rare that people are trying to privatize it for profit. The biggest response to almost any questions involving a minor fix is "call dick hussey/johnny monzo/tom rohner he'll have the part". Most people want to try a fix first. Most issues on AllantÚs have been addressed hundred of times and dont always need parts to fix. Unfortunately without the proper advice or a good FSM people attempt a fix blindly or dont attempt it at all. This sacrifices the integrity of these cars and decreases their value.

The people trying to privatize the information supposedly do it to increase the value of our vehicles, to me though, the lack of free flowing accurate information is only hurting our cars. When someone looks to buy one and checks a few sources for repair information and cant find any, they arent going to bother with the car.

I urge anyone who has information and know how to chime in here at every convenient opportunity. If youve fixed it and are familiar with the procedure offer up some advice. If youre fixing it take pictures and post them up with the procedure. even if its a minute detail you never know if someone else might need it.

The other board i linked to has and HAD some great information. Recently they went through what i believe was a power struggle and lots of posts were lost and the forum is now much more difficult to navigate.(we were also locked out for about a week total) All the FAQ's which described in detail various fixes are gone. many picture attachments that were included in how tos are gone.

of course that could end up happening to any forum, but with Cadillacforums.com i am confident it will NOT be due to a power struggle.

Lord Cadillac
09-16-11, 01:23 PM
Yes, there were various power struggles at a few of the old Allante forums - but they're really a shadow of what they once were. There will be no power struggle here. And no information will be lost. What's shared here will stay here. Information is property of the community - meaning all members...

D Yaros
09-17-11, 09:03 AM
I am here, and have been for some time. Never, have I ever seen a lot of activity. My Allante is a 1992, Pearl White. I shall be glad to help others, in any way I can, though I am still an Allante novice. I usually check in once a week.

mikel912
09-17-11, 12:09 PM
What you call privatize, I call support. I have been involved with Allantes since the early 90's. The value and knowledge of the 3 people you mentioned is PRICELESS. Without these people many if not most of the cars would already be junk. You will notice there is lots of information, very little of it accurate. When you NEED a part or info these people are the only ones who can provide it, try going to GM. These people have made businesses and careers out of keeping these 25 year old cars like new. When you count up the mistakes that GM made in the design and build of these cars it is amazing that any of them are still viable. My Allante is a 93 with 181,000 miles. I have called or e-mailed the 3 you mentioned many times for parts and info, they are always helpful and ACCURATE, and YES! they have the part you need.

OffThaHorseCEO
09-17-11, 01:21 PM
What you call privatize, I call support. I have been involved with Allantes since the early 90's. The value and knowledge of the 3 people you mentioned is PRICELESS. Without these people many if not most of the cars would already be junk. You will notice there is lots of information, very little of it accurate. When you NEED a part or info these people are the only ones who can provide it, try going to GM. These people have made businesses and careers out of keeping these 25 year old cars like new. When you count up the mistakes that GM made in the design and build of these cars it is amazing that any of them are still viable. My Allante is a 93 with 181,000 miles. I have called or e-mailed the 3 you mentioned many times for parts and info, they are always helpful and ACCURATE, and YES! they have the part you need.

i think you may have read my post in the wrong tone or maybe misconstrued. I am not taking away anything from any of the 3 individuals mentioned as they do offer tons of information for FREE. What I did say is that most of the time when a problem comes up, no matter how minor, they are told "D/T/J carries the replacement" instead of this is how i fixed mine" or "this is how the service manual says to fix it" etc etc.

Hey btw, i ordered my leatherique conditioner, im gonna do one more treatment with it and then when it gets cold i plan on redying. I still wanted to know what brand dye you used to make sure the seats match the armrest if i end up buying from you

D Yaros
09-24-11, 12:58 PM
I and my Pearl White '92 are here. We check in once per week, and are also active on Allante.net

abweiss
10-08-11, 09:12 PM
I am new here I have a 93 polo green with 60k on the odometer

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

wcoates
12-08-11, 03:41 PM
i hate to link a competing board but try this

http://allante.us/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

or google allante net. its not poppin by any means but theres more activity there and its an all allante forum. there are a few gurus there who have parted multiple allantes and know the finer details.

my name there is Martin

Martin is a active member on the other site. I haven't been here for months but checked in as the other site is also DEAD. Thought everyone must have come here. Obviously wrong!

OffThaHorseCEO
12-08-11, 06:16 PM
Not anymore wcoates. They put me on "ex-member" status again. :D

mikel912
12-09-11, 12:25 AM
we are still here. Top down motoring. Now that you have taken the plunge, if you bought the right car things will actually get better. And for the money spent what could you buy that gives you the same satisfaction as your Allante? 184,000 miles and going strong. I actually put very little into my car, but keep it well maintained, 93 Montana Blue, 1 of 151. and yes I get attention. You will find that once you are comfortable with the car it will become very enjoyable.

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 AM ----------

I use the SEM brand spray color to match the interior. Yes! Dick and Tom have the EXACT color matches for your needs. I have been involved with the Allante for about 15 years. I do have quite a bit of knowledge of the car, but nothing close to Tom or Dick, and probably Johnny Monzo. Unfortunately a lot of the info that is put out there is well meaning, but not always correct. Thus when I need accurate info I do look to these people. I have always had a very good result. Dick has put a lot of his very valuable info (brake diagnosis) on his web page for anyone to read and take advantage of, along with the GREAT expense of reproducing, and warehousing parts. I am thankful that these people CAN make a living supporting these cars, without them the cars would be difficult to keep going. Enough preaching, hope all is well with your car.

OffThaHorseCEO
12-09-11, 10:37 AM
I use the SEM brand spray color to match the interior. Wow really? and it holds up? thats actually surprising but good to know.

Yes! Dick and Tom have the EXACT color matches for your needs. :sneaky: lol i see what you did there

I have been involved with the Allante for about 15 years. I do have quite a bit of knowledge of the car, but nothing close to Tom or Dick, and probably Johnny Monzo. Unfortunately a lot of the info that is put out there is well meaning, but not always correct. Thus when I need accurate info I do look to these people. I have always had a very good result. Dick has put a lot of his very valuable info (brake diagnosis) on his web page for anyone to read and take advantage of, along with the GREAT expense of reproducing, and warehousing parts. I am thankful that these people CAN make a living supporting these cars, without them the cars would be difficult to keep going. Enough preaching, hope all is well with your car. i can appreciate that. i never said i had anything against them making money off of it. They still are the parts kings. If I was in the area id still gladly pay them to do repairs tweaks adjustments diagnosis or even a routine check up on my car because i know they know better than anyone else. Parts and service are one thing. Information is a totally different thing

wcoates
12-10-11, 01:07 PM
have only been around Allantes for 6 years and was an active observer on the other site when it went thru the power struggles mentioned. Amazing the number of knowledgeable people we have lost. But that is water under the damn. We are what is left. Still think this PITA car has potential to be the best bang for the buck in the toy car arena. Unfortunately (IMHO) this is an older guys car, don't know how to get young guys involved/interested.

mikel912
12-12-11, 12:01 AM
The Club magazine, the insider is printed quarterly, each quarter there is a Tech article by Tom, or Dick, or both offering accurate information along with pictures. I have kept every one of them being a charter member of the original Allante club. That is why it is frustrating when well meaning people offer up advise that I know is not accurate. The car can be very frustrating if you do not know all the little secrets, but with knowledge, like how to adjust pull down motors, the car is a dream. By the way, I can raise and lower my top in less than a minute. This is because I spent a day at the Robbins Top shop. These are the people that REDID almost EVERY NEW Allante from the factory! They donated a new top on my red 88 for an article in one of the Allante magazines. Much more goes into the magazine than meets the eye.