: Goldilocks Has Been in my V, stealing my volts, and my embz

DRod
07-27-11, 09:53 AM
Although I found no signs of blonde hair, when I attempted to start my car this morning, it started. But it was uber sluggish. So, I check out the battery voltage meter. It read 13.2 OK. I shut the car off and gave it a twist...same result: sluggish start.

Then, I looked down at the gauges. It's usually set on tire pressure. But it was about 3 meters over (oil temp?). And my odometer/speedometer, which usually shows both, only displayed the odometer. Next, I noticed that my 1/3 tank of gas was only reporting "LOW RANGE" on my display. Even after driving for several miles, it didn't change.

Thoughts? Other than someone sneaking into my garage and taking it for a spin? Or trolls?

CadzillaTN
07-27-11, 09:56 AM
Could be bananas in your tailpipes.

DRod
07-27-11, 10:01 AM
I ain't fallin' for that!

RippyPartsDept
07-27-11, 10:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HktV2yGtLv8

bjv
07-27-11, 12:00 PM
Within a couple of days you will need a new battery. Batteries usually die that way- you may get one warning sign or no warning signs. My car did the same thing last week and I had to put a new battery in it. In fact I'm about to enter a new thread about my battery change experience.

DRod
07-27-11, 12:05 PM
That's what I thought. Wasn't sure if there was some other random occurrence creating this problem.

Feel free to add your story to this thread. It'll still come up in searches. Although, I guess some people might get confused with all the banana in the tailpipe and Goldilocks references.

cvettr/cts-v
07-27-11, 12:25 PM
The sluggish start and the guages changing indicate battery was extremely low it did this when my first battery went bad with 1 exception. On mine once it was started all guages read correctly and when reset to which ones I wanted displayed they stayed there and read correctly. I was able to then schedule an appointment and get battery replaced under the original warranty.

thebigjimsho
07-27-11, 12:27 PM
You're gonna die, clown!

DRod
07-27-11, 12:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPO7e3zZAHs&feature=related

Claimslngr
07-27-11, 12:53 PM
If not in warranty the best (read cheapest) is a grp 78 from Wallie World. If you are careful then you can reuse the battery cover and no one will ever know.
Good Luck!

Just remember to take off the handle. A butterknife or a putty knife work the best!

CancerJCC
07-27-11, 01:58 PM
Yep battery on its way out. The no digital speed reading with only odometer is what comes up when the battery is re-connected after being unhooked. Or in your case dying.

DDS rollin a CTS
07-27-11, 02:32 PM
Thoughts? Other than someone sneaking into my garage and taking it for a spin? Or trolls?

Underpants gnomes.

EdmundGTP
07-27-11, 04:12 PM
prolly cuz of el nino..

JimmyH
07-27-11, 07:55 PM
oops

DRod
07-27-11, 09:15 PM
Definitely the battery. It was dead by lunchtime. I called Costco and WalMart, and neither had the battery in stock. I read a few strong reviews on both...bang for the buck looks best in both cases. So, I went to one of the Caddy dealerships and spent $127 on another Delco. Bleh. Oh well. Thanks for all the "DUH...battery" replies.

thebigjimsho
07-27-11, 10:25 PM
embz!!! it's teh EMBZ!!!!!

JimmyH
07-27-11, 10:32 PM
Right before I did one of the dumbest moves of my life and sold my V, I was planning on moving the battery to the trunk. One can put whatever model of battery one wishes back there.

D3l7a3ch0
07-28-11, 09:58 PM
my battery died this way... it was maybe three days between first sign of trouble and complete failure (wouldn't even keep the dome lights on)

in other news... the forum is telling me private messaging has been disabled. uhh... would love to know what your recommendations for shops in SA are.

D3l7a3ch0
07-28-11, 09:59 PM
my battery died this way... it was maybe three days between first sign of trouble and complete failure (wouldn't even keep the dome lights on)

DRod, in other news... the forum is telling me private messaging has been disabled. uhh... would love to know what your recommendations for shops in SA are.

Dan_Gurney
07-28-11, 10:19 PM
any real benefit to the battery cover... was this stock on all years... my 07 didn't come with one.

I just had to go through this same thing, same warning signs and all. put a new walmart battery in for $88 and good to go. Gm battery was probably still under warranty, but the last two have only lasted one year (according to the gm records when i bought it) and didn't seem worth the trouble to deal with the dealership... Walmart is everywhere...

EdmundGTP
07-29-11, 01:29 PM
As far as I can tell, the only thing the battery cover does, is look like haggard ass after it starts flaking and falling apart as it ages..

bjv
07-29-11, 01:42 PM
As far as I can tell, the only thing the battery cover does, is look like haggard ass after it starts flaking and falling apart as it ages..

The cover on my 07 looked pretty good, at least until I started taking the battery out and then I discovered that it had deteriorated a bit. I intended to put it back on until I discovered it was deteriorating.

I've discovered that in our hot climate batteries don't last as long as they should. Typically the best normal lead/acid battery you can buy might only last 36 months no matter what the battery is rated for. The OEM battery in my V lasted over 4 years which is pretty good. I wondered if the insulating cover might have helped with this.

EdmundGTP
07-30-11, 02:24 AM
Tough to say. I've only been living in AZ for about 4 years now. In my beater car (which I've had since 04) I have an optima red top that's been running strong for the past 6 years almost, and it's been through 3 Phoenix AZ summers, parked outside the entire time. I've heard people here say that most batteries don't last more than a couple years with the heat here. I'm basically waiting for the red top to die, but if it keeps holding out, I'll most likely get one for the V as well.

D3l7a3ch0
07-30-11, 08:23 AM
I wanna put it in the trunk, first of all. (as always) that would be great.

JimmyH
07-30-11, 04:36 PM
As evidenced by the recent trend of manufacturers putting them in the trunk that's where the battery belongs.

thebigjimsho
07-30-11, 04:55 PM
That's for fat cow cars...

JimmyH
07-30-11, 08:40 PM
like your V

wait, when you say "fat cow" are you talking about the car or the driver?

thebigjimsho
07-31-11, 03:08 AM
drivers would not make sense...

D3l7a3ch0
12-31-11, 03:57 PM
in the spare tire sump maybe

thebigjimsho
12-31-11, 04:21 PM
Rock a diggity...

JimmyH
12-31-11, 04:26 PM
Goldielocks is a hot babe. Too bad I'm married.