: How long can a BMW 528i run for with a belt thrown off?

RippyPartsDept
07-27-11, 03:33 AM
Title says it all.

brandondeleo
07-27-11, 03:44 AM
How far can you push a BMW with an American car? Lol.

Jesda
07-27-11, 03:47 AM
Depends on the belt.

I think the I6 E39 uses separate belts rather than serpentine. Wait, are we talking about E39?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/BE39/POR_BE39_BASflt_pg3.htm#item13

Stingroo
07-27-11, 05:39 AM
Foar EVAR if it has a manual transmission and is the best possible thing for YOU at the time when YOU buy it and YOU make sure to tell US about it often.

;)

RippyPartsDept
07-27-11, 06:05 AM
it's an auto

it only has one belt (serpentine)

i think it's a 2000 maybe 2002...

i call it the good bodystyle....
i don't know the Exx numbers

looks like this but white and i think the lower front bumper design might be slightly different
http://www.leaseliquidations.com/images/database/00%20528%202.jpg

i'm just trying to gauge the damage that has been done

it still runs fine, but no power steering or water pump (i think)
because the belt is not driving any accessories

battery is pretty new which is why i think it can even start and run without the alternator

Jesda
07-27-11, 07:03 AM
I guess later E39s all use a serp belt.

Well, in that case it would run for a couple minutes. Cooling system is already a sensitive area, and without the water pump expect some boilage of liquids.

RippyPartsDept
07-27-11, 09:56 AM
how long running at coolant redline can these things take before doing serious damage?

it was run hot
not sure for how long yet
but it still seems to run okay when we started it up last night
then i pointed out that his belt was off and immediately cut off the engine and posted this thread

Jesda
07-27-11, 12:34 PM
Lots of E39s seem to undergo major surgery because their previous owners allow them to overheat. I'd say no more than 5 minutes at extreme temps before the head is warped.

orconn
07-27-11, 07:09 PM
If the car is in cosmetically good condition with relatively low miles and can be had for peanuts (which should be the case under the circumstances) might make a nice car, and if the engine turns out to be fried a replacemnt should be able to be had for a few grand!

RippyPartsDept
07-27-11, 09:20 PM
The car is currently owned by one of my friends. It's in decent shape, paid off, he's put a fair amount into it this year - and apparently he's going to have to put some more in.

We'll find out soon if any damage was done when he drove it home the other day.

concorso
07-31-11, 04:17 PM
Lots of E39s seem to undergo major surgery because their previous owners allow them to overheat. I'd say no more than 5 minutes at extreme temps before the head is warped.FWIW, I think 5 minutes is WAAAAY too long. From what Ive read, the safe bet is to turn the car of and have it towed the instant you see the temp climb very high. Some guys have seen major damage after less then 2 minutes. On my 3rd E39, and thats the first thing I did with each of them, fixing/replacing that cooling system... Repairs will be very expensive, and itll be just as cheap to replace the entire engine.

RippyPartsDept
07-31-11, 08:03 PM
so to follow up a bit

he did run the engine hot for a little while... probably around 5 minutes... maybe a bit more

he got a new water pump belt and thermostat installed for $400
(i assumed he got new coolant and, but i'm not sure... would new coolant and oil be a mandatory precaution?)

car runs just like it did before though

also: it is a 2000 year model