: Bought it, parked it, but today, drove it, I'm a "V" believer

deckofficer
07-27-11, 12:41 AM
Long story short, after buying the V, 6-speed manual, it sat in the garage, didn't have any time to drive it. However, I did enjoy reading some of the posts here about the V driving experiance. I thought it was good entertainment but felt the V's attributes were a bit over-blown by the good folks here on this forum.

Well as my friends always seem to point out, I'm sometimes wrong and I'm wrong again about the assumption that the V is "just a nice but heavy, Grand Touring type of car". For as few of these units that are produced, we V owners are the recieptiants of some talented and serious engineering. Most of you don't know me, but I'm an old school gearhead, having owned many one off hot rods and many muscle cars. To put my forth coming evaluation of the V in perspective, I have a rod now that if the V shared the same power to weight ratio, it would need an output of 1075 hp, which upon reading this forum, I know it can be done, but I won't do that to the V.

The first "real" drive was eastbound on hwy 50 in California, over the Sierras at 7600' elevation, down into Lake Tahoe and return back to Placerville, all windy roads. I got my 92 year old Dad out of the house (when we get out of the house I cancel my physical therapy with him for that day) for this drive. I can hear you guys saying "What a fool, super crank and bank type of roadway and he takes Dad". That my new friends here, is part of the engineering beauty of our rides. To test my theory, I'd say "Dad, you know what speed we are going?", he replies 45 when going 65, 65, when going 85, etc. Combine that with cornering attributes that for the smoothness of all transistions and total lack of stiff or harsh suspension means I had a great time and dear old Dad was none the wiser. For you folks that are familar with the trans-Sierra route of State hwy 50 going to Tahoe you KNOW about the curves and few and far between passing lanes, this hwy the V rules. Imagine this, every yellow sign curve speed "recommendation", you can count on a 50% faster speed with flat cornering and your passenger not even knowing the speed. Now passing, though impressive for 4300 lbs, is sadate compared to my Track-T, but my T wasn't on the highway, other "normal" cars were, and this V really reals them in. I have never taken Dad over 100 mph ever, but today in those passing lanes, we did on 3 occasions and he had no idea. His comment was "when I was driving this road alot, they never slowed down in the passing lane, but sped up to make it impossible to pass". Things haven't changed, but the V at altitude just flys by all the normally aspirated cars like they DID slow down. Dad's perception at 92 isn't what it used to be, but if he felt the other drivers were slowing down so we could pass, I'll just let him keep that image for future trips to Tahoe.

I don't believe I've ever felt this good about a new car purchase, and the cars I've owned in the past set the bar rather high. Finally had to fill the tank, 14.9 mpg, not bad for pulling a 7600' summit and going over 100 on 3 passes. I guess I am V addicted and want to thank the folks on the forum for describing their driving impressions, even though I thought they were inflated, now I know they are not.

Geez, I finished typing this and scrolled up to proof read, and saw that I started this with "to make a long story short". Boy was I wrong, you just can't relate your first real spirited driving experiance in a short missive.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/deckofficer/CTS-V/DSC004911014x760.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/deckofficer/CTS-V/DSC004971014x760.jpg

Razorecko
07-27-11, 01:10 AM
very cool ! kudos to you for taking the old man on a nice cruise

translux
07-27-11, 01:19 AM
Awesome post-yes the V is the real deal!

baabootoo
07-27-11, 01:23 AM
I even appreciated mine more after driving it a while, and settling in.

thebigjimsho
07-27-11, 01:40 AM
I had my V loaded up with tools and track wheels/tires and luggage when hitting Tail of the Dragon with a friend in a C5 Vette. Had no problems keeping up with him. Not a tourer.

Actually, no, it's a GREAT tourer. When you want it to be...

deckofficer
07-27-11, 02:22 AM
very cool ! kudos to you for taking the old man on a nice cruise

He deserves it. Always treated me good as a kid.

garfin
07-27-11, 08:46 AM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and impressions! The more you drive it, the more you appreciate it and the more you love it! Now get it out on a road course to really have your eyes opened to what this thing is capable of! Definitely built to be driven!

Best regards,

Elie

thebigjimsho
07-27-11, 01:06 PM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and impressions! The more you drive it, the more you appreciate it and the more you love it! Now get it out on a road course to really have your eyes opened to what this thing is capable of! Definitely built to be driven!

Best regards,

ElieI have always freely admitted that I still was more attached to my '04 than my '09. But with more seat time comes more memories. A road trip and week in Charlotte including that run of Tail of the Dragon helped my appreciation of my '09. My first track day where I was running dedicated track tires and pads at VIR left me really impressed. I don't know if I'd be as happy driving my 440hp '04 now...

deckofficer
07-27-11, 01:36 PM

Best regards,

Elie

Elie,

I have plans to do that. It is funny that a lot of the Western State's racing schools use the CTS-V as the training car. I'll bet most instructors will show how a corner is handled with the nanny activated, then switch it off for comparision.

Teutonaddict
07-27-11, 03:08 PM
Geez, I finished typing this and scrolled up to proof read, and saw that I started this with "to make a long story short". Boy was I wrong, you just can't relate your first real spirited driving experiance in a short missive.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/deckofficer/CTS-V/DSC004911014x760.jpg

Not too long in the least. Great story. And glad your expectations have been exceeded! Beautiful photos (and color combo) BTW!

My Dad retired out in Sacramento back in the 80's and we made that trip up to Tahoe together a number of times, unfortunately always in a rental. We both were engineers, but I'm the only gearhead. For him, cars were always simply transportation, "Point A to Point B" as he put it. As a one-time truck driver, he was good enough to turn me on to the superior involvement of manual transmissions.

When I saw the picture of your Dad, it reminded me of when I took mine to Spartanburg, SC to take delivery of my then-new 2000 M5 at the BMW plant. At least as an engineer, he could appreciate the incredible capability built into these high performance machines. He became more of a gearhead by osmosis later in his life. I know that if I'd been able to take him for a ride in the V up to Tahoe, he'd have been even more impressed! Glad you were able to share that with your Dad!

Prof
07-27-11, 03:18 PM
Would give anything to be able to go for a ride with my Dad in the V...those of you that still have one around...take him for a ride for me!

deckofficer
07-27-11, 03:18 PM
Not too long in the least. Great story. And glad your expectations have been exceeded! Beautiful photos (and color combo) BTW!

My Dad retired out in Sacramento back in the 80's and we made that trip up to Tahoe together a number of times, unfortunately always in a rental. We both were engineers, but I'm the only gearhead. For him, cars were always simply transportation, "Point A to Point B" as he put it. As a one-time truck driver, he was good enough to turn me on to the superior involvement of manual transmissions.

When I saw the picture of your Dad, it reminded me of when I took mine to Spartanburg, SC to take delivery of my then-new 2000 M5 at the BMW plant. At least as an engineer, he could appreciate the incredible capability built into these high performance machines. He became more of a gearhead by osmosis later in his life. I know that if I'd been able to take him for a ride in the V up to Tahoe, he'd have been even more impressed! Glad you were able to share that with your Dad!

Your comments really hit home. My Dad is also a M.E., and when helping me buy a car for college in 1971, my heart was set on a '65 Sunbeam Tiger, his response "we don't need any V8s other than the car that tows our travel trailer". Since he moved in with me after my retirement 3 years ago, he has become quite interested in my stable of rides, to the point of declaring now he wished he had that interest with me 40 years ago. Kind of funny how things turn out.

thebigjimsho
07-27-11, 04:25 PM
My father had me into cars very early. Had me parking his '72 BMW 2002 in the garage when I was 8(he still has it). Now I'm driving Vs and he has a Toyota Sienna as a work vehicle. I let him drive my V whenever he wants.

My mother loves faster cars and has been disappointed in her Subaru Legacy since it replaced her Forester XT(turbo). So, once in a while, I let her drive the V. She loved my '04 with full B&B exhaust(and no cats). I had to convince her my '09 with 630hp was easy to drive as well and she's driven that a couple times.

They taught me to love cars and also to love long drives. Growing up in MA and my mom being from CA, we would go out every year, alternating between driving and flying. I had been in a car cross country 5 times before I even had my license and another 5 times since. Day trips in the Bimmer going up to NH, ME, VT or the Berkshires while listening to oldies was a regular occurance...

deckofficer
07-27-11, 05:20 PM
The way this thread is going, I'll bet a few Fathers get a phone call tonight. Its a good thing.

garfin
07-27-11, 08:47 PM
Would give anything to be able to go for a ride with my Dad in the V...those of you that still have one around...take him for a ride for me!

Wise words, indeed. I would love to still have my Dad around today and take him for a little spin in the V... he always would go out of his way to nurture my interest in cars at every opportunity. He taught me everything from how to drive a manual (3-on-the-tree!) to changing a tire. Those moments are so precious... and with that being said, I'm very proud that at this stage of the game, my son has already taken me for a ride in the V, last year, for a few laps around Mosport's Grand Prix Track! :D. Cadillac Track Experience... instructor in the shotgun seat and (beaming) Dad in the back seat soakin' it all in!
These Vs are simply incredible!!

Elie,

I have plans to do that. It is funny that a lot of the Western State's racing schools use the CTS-V as the training car. I'll bet most instructors will show how a corner is handled with the nanny activated, then switch it off for comparision.

Good stuff! I know you'll have a blast!
FWIW, I'm still trying to figure out the difference between "Competitive Mode" and having all nannies off! Maybe I still need to push it further...
Competitive mode seems to be very non-intrusive on the track. I had an "Oh sh*t" moment on Mosport this May in Competitive Mode... long story short, it was me who kept the car off the wall on 5C and not the Stabilitrak!

Best regards,

Elie

JFJr
07-27-11, 09:56 PM
Yeah, those of you that have living fathers that appreciate high performance cars are really lucky. My 92 year old mother is the only one left and she doesn't like pulling g's or any other fun driving sensations.

And off subject, you guys that are putting your cars through their paces on high speed road courses are the best! That is the real strength of the car and is building its well-deserved reputation.

Jud

thebigjimsho
07-27-11, 10:10 PM
here here!

Florian
07-27-11, 11:24 PM

absolutely..... :sigh:

F

JimmyH
07-27-11, 11:38 PM
The way this thread is going, I'll bet a few Fathers get a phone call tonight. Its a good thing.

not mine. You guys who have great relationships (any relationship at all really) with your father are lucky.

deckofficer
07-28-11, 11:18 AM
not mine. You guys who have great relationships (any relationship at all really) with your father are lucky.

Jimmy,

Sorry to hear that, but is it too late just to say "Hi"? When gone, its the ones left behind that can have regrets.

JimmyH
07-28-11, 03:18 PM
I still talk to him several times a year. It isn't that bad. It just isn't much of a relationship. I invite him over every time I talk to him so he can see his grandkids. His response is always the same "Let me check with my wife" and that's as far as it goes. It sucks because we have a lot in common. Engineering, cars, etc. Just not our outlook on life.

deckofficer
07-28-11, 04:24 PM
I still talk to him several times a year. It isn't that bad. It just isn't much of a relationship. I invite him over every time I talk to him so he can see his grandkids. His response is always the same "Let me check with my wife" and that's as far as it goes. It sucks because we have a lot in common. Engineering, cars, etc. Just not our outlook on life.

Jimmy,

I'm sure you have already done this, but have you put a couple of his Grandkids in the back seat of your V and headed over to his place telling him "join us for an A&W rootbeer float, shotgun seat is waiting for you".

MotownPimp
07-28-11, 04:44 PM
Deck,

You probably know this but take the drive along 49 from Grass Valley to Sierraville; one of my fav runs.

And if in the neighborhood:

- HWY 20 from I 5 to 101
- HWY 128 from 101 to Mendocino coast.
- 101 from Willits to Crescent City (long drive...250 miles or so).

Luv the red Coupe. That would have been my choice if not for our almost identical red SUV

deckofficer
07-28-11, 05:15 PM
I wish I had the time to drive any of my rides. I stay home and take care of Dad. I've had the V a week, took it for one drive. I will be in SoCal the 1st weekend of Aug for the 101 Fun Run for the T-buckets. I have a 1923 Track-T, so those folks accept me as one of them. On the famous Escondido Cruise Night, they close a 4 lane street for of all things, T-bucket parking only, it is a lot of fun.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/deckofficer/DSC010841014x760.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/deckofficer/DSC011201014x760.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/deckofficer/DSC010551014x760.jpg

JimmyH
07-28-11, 05:30 PM
Jimmy,

I'm sure you have already done this, but have you put a couple of his Grandkids in the back seat of your V and headed over to his place telling him "join us for an A&W rootbeer float, shotgun seat is waiting for you".

I would if I had a V :D

deckofficer
07-28-11, 06:11 PM
I would if I had a V :D

Lets see Jimmy, last two quarters a 2009 CTS-V on Kelly Blue Book went from $41K to $50K, you, Pop, and kids would do a A&W rootbeer float if you had a V, I'm kinda thinking out loud here, but reuniting with Pop and having a new V that like the 2009 will start appreciating and the banks are paying you squat in interest on your savings and if you finance you'll get 0.0% loan, things are adding up here, go buy your V sir.

JimmyH
07-28-11, 06:13 PM
Actually, I am waiting to see what happens with the ATS-V. V2 is just a little too big/heavy for my taste. I miss my 05 V, but in the meantime, the Camaro SS is holding me over.

deckofficer
07-28-11, 06:34 PM
Rootbeer in the Camaro works good too. A car your Dad, if a motorhead, would enjoy.