: The 2013 Chevy Malibu.

ga_etc
07-26-11, 07:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TOaH951jdM&feature=feedu

Looks like the styling pulls from the current Malibu, LaCross, and Camaro. But the only engine choices planed are 4 cylinders. What a waste.

ben.gators
07-26-11, 08:03 PM
It seems that rear end sits too high!? And about the engine, I hope in next years they provide the customers with more engine options to choose from...

cadillac kevin
07-26-11, 08:11 PM
overall its not a bad looking car. I like the current maibus tail light treatment alot more than the 2013 malibu but I do like the front and side styling of the 2013 more than the current Malibu. the interior looks cool in 2 tone- and it appears to draw from the 1990's olds 88 dash (curvy dash lines go into door panel).
I'm not excited about a 4 cylinder only car, but in reality this is a family sedan. it doesnt need a ton of power and the projected 38mpg would be great.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-26-11, 08:52 PM
I really like that. Totally unique and unmistakeable. The current Malibu, while very nice, took a lot of it's design from the Passat.

Four cylinders are where it's at in this segment. Most of the brands in this segment offer a six cylinder as well, but the vast majority of sales are of the four cylinder. I'm excited to hear about this new 2.5L I-4 from GM.

Jesda
07-26-11, 09:02 PM
I heard a V6 would be available the following model year.

Aron9000
07-27-11, 01:32 AM
I really like the rear roofline/c pillar, it isn't so sloping that it impedes rear seat headroom, yet it looks swoopy.

IMO I don't feel a six cylinder is needed if GM markets a larger car above the Malibu with a v6. I'd really like to see a RWD full size Impala with v6 and v8 options.

Stingroo
07-27-11, 01:38 AM
It's nice and all, but that nose looks a lot like the Taurus nose.

I have mixed feelings on it. 38mpg sounds like a good number though. We'll see how it does in the real world.

Jailtime
07-27-11, 03:44 AM
It looks great, love the interior. But 4 cylinders belong in motorcycles.

The Tony Show
07-27-11, 09:25 AM
The Ecotec Malibu is perfectly fine to drive, especially for a class that buys based more on economy and practicality over performance.

Stingroo
07-27-11, 09:38 AM
The Ecotec Malibu is perfectly fine to drive, especially for a class that buys based more on economy and practicality over performance.

Exactly. Oh woe is me, four cylinders! Come on guys....

Rodya234
07-27-11, 09:41 AM
Hell, if they can make a four for the new model that beats the Camry's V6 and gets better fuel economy then more power to them. Sometimes I feel that a lot of people here carry the opinion that every vehicle ever should be RWD and have a V8...

The Tony Show
07-27-11, 09:46 AM
Hell, if they can make a four for the new model that beats the Camry's V6 and gets better fuel economy then more power to them. Sometimes I feel that a lot of people here carry the opinion that every vehicle ever should be RWD and have a V8...

^ Truth.

The general population of car forums on the Internet is so out of touch with reality that it's mind boggling. Every announcement is met with cries of "No V8? No RWD? FAIL!!".

How do you guys think Honda became a juggernaut? (I'll give you a hint: It wasn't RWD V8s) By building inexpensive, well engineered 4 cylinder cars with decent power and great reliability, that's how. Look at how well the Chevy Cruze is doing right now, despite the fact that it's *GASP* a FWD 4 cylinder.

90% of car buyers don't care how many cylinders it has. They want it to look nice, not break down, get good gas mileage and have enough power to pull into traffic or pass when they ask it to. That's it.

RippyPartsDept
07-27-11, 10:29 AM
I heard a V6 would be available the following model year.

i'm surprised nobody has picked up on this comment yet

Stingroo
07-27-11, 10:35 AM
Too busy with knee-jerk reactions! Shut up with your "logic" and your "thought"! This is a CADILLAC FORUM!

:lol:

Florian
07-27-11, 10:37 AM
Chevy finally built a Camry....hooray!

F

Florian
07-27-11, 10:38 AM
They should call it the Chevy Malibluehair....those are the only people who will buy an underpowered Japanese knock-off.

F

gdwriter
07-27-11, 11:03 AM
I simply don't care for 4-cylinders because of the drone on acceleration. Even a good Honda 4 has it (I got really tired of it in my '99 Accord). The Ecotec Malibu I had in Honolulu wasn't bad, but the Altima I had in North Carolina was horrid, especially with the CVT. I much prefer the smoothness and more mellifluous sound of a V6 or V8 (well, the extra thrust is nice, too).

Overall, the 2013 Malibu looks good, as did its predecessor. The taillights may be a little overwrought for my taste, however.

brandondeleo
07-27-11, 12:22 PM
The 2013 seems to be blending in even more with the LaCrosse, Taurus and everything else on the road. I liked the previous generation more. It had more class. This looks like a LaCrosse, Taurus, Camaro, and Camry had an orgy which resulted in an unwanted lovechild.

ryannel2003
07-27-11, 01:33 PM
This is a much better looking car IMO and I loved the old one. I don't understand all the comments about the V6's to be honest. The V6 in the midsize car segment is dead. I personally don't mind 4 cylinders and I'm pretty sure my next vehicle will have one.

brandondeleo
07-27-11, 02:10 PM
The V6-I4 battle is similar to the V8-V6 battle. They both have their strong points. I was happy with the 2.4L 149ci 150hp I4 in my Sebring sedan. It had plenty of pep, even when passing, and it got decent mileage. V6's usually get better gas mileage in addition to the increase in power and torque. It all depends on the car it is put into.

johnny kannapo
07-27-11, 05:15 PM
A +2 year out projected model is mythical. These never live up to the standards as publicized when they arrive at the dealers. There is no guarantee we will even have drive able cars in 2 yrs.

http://funnyartpictures.com/pics-funny-stuff/?images/midsize/cars-transportation/auto-donkey.jpg

Bro-Ham
07-27-11, 05:34 PM
I don't see or feel the magic with the new Malibu, no new ground appears to have been broken in terms of impressive styling or loveability. The 2007-2011 Malibu seemed sexier when it first came out, plus it still hasn't gotten stale - a miracle for a domestic car after five years. The 2012 Malibu looks like it's trying way too hard. :)

orconn
07-27-11, 05:35 PM
The only V-6 engine I ever really liked was the 3 litre 4OHC V-6 that came in my Alfa Romeo 164 (which was really just a detuned Ferrari V-6). Starting the the Buick V-6 of the early 1960's (subsequently sold to Rover of GB) I have always felt the a V-6 sounded and generally performed light a cheap and unbalanced engine. Up until recently V-6's have been lacking in power and generally crude in their performance. While strides have been made, recently, in the refinement and power output of the V-6 engine, if I couldn't have the Alfa V-6 I'd really much rather have a straight six OHC engine in my luxury car. In fact I might well chose a good OHC 6 cylinder V-6 over a V-8 in many applications!

orconn
07-27-11, 05:44 PM
I don't see or feel the magic with the new Malibu, no new ground appears to have been broken in terms of impressive styling or loveability. The 2007-2011 Malibu seemed sexier when it first came out, plus it still hasn't gotten stale - a miracle for a domestic car after five years. The 2012 Malibu looks like it's trying way too hard. :)

I agree with Bro-ham, the restyling seems to have been a downgrade of the model rather than setting a new styling level like the preceding model. At a glance I would think it was a Toyota, not a Chevy! Certainly not a compliment. The previous model was conservatively distinctive and actually looked, as with VW styling of late, as if it belonged in a more costly market segment.

SDCaddyLacky
07-28-11, 06:54 AM
I do like the front end and side styling better than the current year, but the taillights got to go!! They are horribly ugly. The current tail lights look fine, but it could be much better. i actually rented an 09 Malibu which was a great car, very well built. The only problem that I didn't like about it was how much it drank gas! I had the 2.4 DOHC and the MPG's were bad, I averaged only 20-21 for city and high 20's for Freeway driving. My 94 Fleetwood does better on gas, or got about the same as the Maibu. I don't understand how a 4 cylinder car with only 175 HP average the same MPG's of a V6 or even some V8's?

Other than the terrible gas mileage, the Malibu is probably the first Chevy in years where you could tell that GM put a lot of effort into. For one thing, these cars are super quiet and ride nice. The 2.4 engine actually has some balls, it's acceleration is very fast for not having much power.

I do agree on giving people options on wanting a V6, I personally don't like 4 bangers at all, a V6 is a perfect balance of power, smoothness and quietness vs any 4 cylinder. 4 cylinders when new feel great, but overtime when mileage accumulates, like over 100,000, that engine will vibrate more, become nosier and wont run as smooth. A V6 wont have these kinds of problems, or at least not as severe.

Lets hope Chevy doesn't do any cost cutting in the newer Malibu's, because the current models are very well done, better than some Jap brands, Hint....Crapola Toyota's

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-28-11, 07:09 AM
Well as of right now, the Cruze is the best selling car in America, doing about 25,000 units a month. Hopefully GM will take the things that are so successful for the Cruze and apply them towards the Malibu.

My dad bought a brand new Malibu LS in June of '10. It's a pretty base sedan, I think the only option it has is the floor mats, but for what he wanted, it's perfect. It's very quiet, very well built and feels a lot more substantial than other cars in the segment, especially the '07 Camry XLE-V6 he traded for it. The Camry had a lot of noise & rattle issues, and the Malibu has much better build quality and fit and finish. Coming down from the Camry's 269 hp V6 to this 2.4L I-4 was tough, but he never complains about the mileage..

drewsdeville
07-28-11, 07:18 AM
I do like the front end and side styling better than the current year, but the taillights got to go!! They are horribly ugly. The current tail lights look fine, but it could be much better. i actually rented an 09 Malibu which was a great car, very well built. The only problem that I didn't like about it was how much it drank gas! I had the 2.4 DOHC and the MPG's were bad, I averaged only 20-21 for city and high 20's for Freeway driving. My 94 Fleetwood does better on gas, or got about the same as the Maibu. I don't understand how a 4 cylinder car with only 175 HP average the same MPG's of a V6 or even some V8's?

Other than the terrible gas mileage, the Malibu is probably the first Chevy in years where you could tell that GM put a lot of effort into. For one thing, these cars are super quiet and ride nice. The 2.4 engine actually has some balls, it's acceleration is very fast for not having much power.

Interesting observation. I've experienced just the opposite on my gf's 2.4 '09 Malibu. She's a more aggressive driver than I care for, and consistently averages 28-30, depending on the week. On a 1,000 mile highway trip this year, we managed 36mpg's. I find the mileage to be fantastic for a heavy car. My friend's tin can '01 Accord coupe with a famed Honda I4 can't touch it.

Power-wise is a different story - it's quite light on power. It's nothing I notice if I'm casually going about my way, but it's impossible to ignore during quick low speed maneuvering in the city. Highway passing power is adequate, however, perhaps due to proper gearing of the 6-speed.

I also agree with Gary - the engine is relatively quiet. While some 4 cylinders can be annoying (though many also sound wonderful), the 2.4's are whisper quiet at low speeds and also very muted under full throttle.

The only real compromise I find with the 2.4 is a lack of low gear power, but if you can get passed that (I can, I'd have no regrets owning one), it's a pretty respectable engine all around.

Stingroo
07-28-11, 07:37 AM
My aunt bought an '09 and raved about it constantly for the first year that she had it. Seriously, in person, on facebook, everywhere. In a similar experience to Chad's dad, she had a Camry before hand, and when all the unintended acceleration BS was going around, she traded it in. She says its the best decision she ever made, car-wise.

I think overall the redesign looks sportier and all around nicer - and yeah, I love the tail lights. lol I just think the front end needs to be a little more angular and less Taurus-like.

CIWS
07-30-11, 07:42 AM
Holy Crap that reviewer puts me to sleep.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-30-11, 08:17 AM
He reminds me of Rainn Wilson.

And after looking at the '12 Camry's photos, the Malibu had better kill it in the sales race. It's got so much more to offer!

hueterm
07-30-11, 09:48 AM

Well...V8 at least...