: Stabilitrak

xiruffridahix
10-20-04, 01:04 PM
When do you use the stabilitrak button/system? the manual gave somewhat of a confusing explanation.

T_Dogg8
10-20-04, 01:38 PM
i leave it on, but was told if i wanted to have fun in the winter, to turn it off.

xiruffridahix
10-20-04, 03:52 PM
does it use more gas when it's on?

hcvone
10-20-04, 04:00 PM
It uses no more gas, I some times do not use it in the deep snow where the wheels would be spinning, but most of the time I leave it on. :)

MEJIA
10-21-04, 11:50 AM
I always keep it on....

I can go faster into curves than some cars!!!

You can feel when Stabilitrack and think "If I had it off, perhaps I could have gotten into more trouble" like rolling over.

However as the manual says: Stabilitrack is not designed to go against rules of physics, just to give you an extra hand ;)

Mejia

rawdog805
12-14-04, 01:33 AM
How in the world do I know if my Stabilitrak is on in a 2002??? is there a light thats supposed to come on in the dash??

skides1
12-14-04, 01:44 AM
Tun it off when you are towing a trailer. The sensors can be tricked by the added forces not created buy the truck itself>

skides1
12-14-04, 01:51 AM
Stabilitrack combines the info gatherd by the ABS sensors, throttle position. brake force, yaw (g-force) sensor, and more. For example: If you enter a corner too fast and the rate of yaw exeeds the capabilities of the tires(a pre-programmed value) the ECM reduces the throttle no matter where your foot is. I am not sure if Stabilitrak is as good as Benz or Lexus sytems but they will actually put on the brakes and use radar sensors to sense an impending collision. They will also suck your seat belts in (tighter). I have a freind with a GS430 Lexus that will trip you out!

rawdog805
12-14-04, 03:17 AM
How in the world do I know if my Stabilitrak is on in a 2002??? is there a light thats supposed to come on in the dash??

??? is there a light that comes on to let me know that I have it turned ON???

Playdrv4me
12-14-04, 03:51 AM
??? is there a light that comes on to let me know that I have it turned ON???

Uhh no. Quite the opposite, you are notified primarily when you turn it OFF. I believe your little text display under the gauges will say "TRAC OFF" or "STABILITRAK OFF" if you turn it off.

rawdog805
12-14-04, 04:34 AM
Uhh no. Quite the opposite, you are notified primarily when you turn it OFF. I believe your little text display under the gauges will say "TRAC OFF" or "STABILITRAK OFF" if you turn it off.

ohh ok kool thanks... now how would I go about turning it off??

slk230mb
12-14-04, 09:05 AM
ohh ok kool thanks... now how would I go about turning it off??

On the 2002 there is a button right next to the "rear park disable" and under the Onstar controls.

blingblingcv
12-14-04, 12:53 PM
For the stabilitrak there should be a button right by the onstar and rear parking buttons. Turn it on and an orange button should come on.

rawdog805
12-14-04, 02:17 PM
For the stabilitrak there should be a button right by the onstar and rear parking buttons. Turn it on and an orange button should come on.

I push that and no orange light comes on??? Im not sure if the little bulb is blown or if its just not working??

When you push the button is it supposed to feel like the parking assist putton next to it?? The Parking assist button has a snap too it, but my Stabilitrak button doesn't...

rawdog805
12-15-04, 02:46 PM
I push that and no orange light comes on??? Im not sure if the little bulb is blown or if its just not working??

When you push the button is it supposed to feel like the parking assist putton next to it?? The Parking assist button has a snap too it, but my Stabilitrak button doesn't...

can someone go outside and push their Stabilitrak button and tell me if it clicks into place or not??

slk230mb
12-15-04, 04:37 PM
No click or lights near the switch. Just a push. The DIC should light up.

rawdog805
12-15-04, 07:42 PM
No click or lights near the switch. Just a push. The DIC should light up.

DIC??? what the heck is that??

skides1
12-15-04, 07:44 PM
Driver Information Center

rawdog805
12-15-04, 07:45 PM
Driver Information Center

Ok is that the one above the CD changer.. Or is that the little square in the Instrument Cluster??

Because the Little display in my Instrument cluster shows absolutely nothing...

Is there a fuse for that??

Albertomac
12-16-04, 09:04 PM
It uses no more gas, I some times do not use it in the deep snow where the wheels would be spinning, but most of the time I leave it on. :)

That means that when Im on the deep sand on the beach I must turn it off?

ALLeyez187onME
12-16-04, 09:21 PM
No the button doesnt click into place and it takes a few seconds for the light to show up, showing that you've disable stabilitrak. By the way, I've taken it off in the rain and put the pedal to the metal on a turn, It felt exactly the same, nothing at all happened. I highly doubt this will make a difference for you guys, unless maybe your in the snow, or REALLY heavy rain, cuz it wasnt sprinkling it was raining.

slk230mb
12-16-04, 09:51 PM
Ok is that the one above the CD changer.. Or is that the little square in the Instrument Cluster??

Because the Little display in my Instrument cluster shows absolutely nothing...

Is there a fuse for that??

There is no fuse, its part of the whole cluster. Looks like a dealership trip.

rawdog805
12-17-04, 01:07 AM
This is crazy... I went to the Caddy dealer and they said that it looks very fishy, it looks as if "someone" placed a big piece of black electrical tape over the message center display... I called the dealer that I bought the car from and I will be taking it back tommorrow so that they can remove the tape from the display and I can see what message is under it...

If its something about the engine or something bad like that then I will be contacting someone about the Lemon Laws in New York State, but if its not then they can just fix the problem and reset the code...

I will be taking my digicam to take pics to document the whole situation in case they try to say that it wasnt like that when I bought it or some stupid ish like that..

slk230mb
12-17-04, 09:57 AM
This is crazy... I went to the Caddy dealer and they said that it looks very fishy, it looks as if "someone" placed a big piece of black electrical tape over the message center display... I called the dealer that I bought the car from and I will be taking it back tommorrow so that they can remove the tape from the display and I can see what message is under it...

If its something about the engine or something bad like that then I will be contacting someone about the Lemon Laws in New York State, but if its not then they can just fix the problem and reset the code...

I will be taking my digicam to take pics to document the whole situation in case they try to say that it wasnt like that when I bought it or some stupid ish like that..

Sounds very fishy at best. If you don't mind me asking who was the purchasing dealership and the one for service?

rawdog805
12-17-04, 02:00 PM
Sounds very fishy at best. If you don't mind me asking who was the purchasing dealership and the one for service?

I just bought the vehicle a month ago... The dealer that I got it from, bought the car from a auction in philly...

I took it back today and they took the tape off and turns out that there is a problem with my stabilitrak system and that the error message that "someone" was trying to cover up with the tape...

The error message says SERVICE STABILITY SYSTEM... so that explains why my stabilitrak has not been working correctly..

slk230mb
12-17-04, 03:09 PM
Well now what you know there is a problem they better fix it for free.

skides1
12-17-04, 03:28 PM
How many miles on it? If I remember-like 60K? Warranty? I your dealer takes the hit-no harm-no foul. If not brace yourself for a hit. I just spent 780 at the caddy dealer today on a starter and an SES light. I won't even speculate on the variable rate shocks-I read STS owners are getting smart buy getting passive units with sensor bypass so they don't have to spend like 3G's on shocks. I don't know what State your in but if your under 30 days you may have some leverage. If not-I would try to ask nicely for the dealer pay for the repairs or go to the small claims court with affidavits from the tech who found the tape. Sounds kinda what has happened to me of late-I have my oil changed at a reputable shop-My rear diff went out costing 3K b/c no fluid-it had a small drip but I thought OK, the shop refilled it, no biggie. NOT! I changed my own oil last week-drain plug stripped. Chapter two: I've been having a vibration on acceleration-I assume all the fluids are OK. NOT! The Caddy dealer did a fluid check: Transfer case DRY! I hate shotty service! :want: Same crappy values on your dealership-I don't think the prev owner or auction house had the time or care to do the black tape and you'll never prove who did. Welcome to my House of Pain-I'm really going to try to pin something on somebody-whether it involves :canttalk:

rawdog805
12-17-04, 11:13 PM
Yeah the dealer is taking care of the problem for "FREE", I have bumper to bumper for 100,000 anyways... I was just pissed that someone did that, also worried that it may have had a worse problem code..