: Cadillac SRX for 2012: More Power, Features

Lord Cadillac
07-26-11, 11:25 AM
DETROIT – A new 3.6L V-6 – the segment’s most powerful standard engine – headlines updates to the 2012 Cadillac SRX. It enhances a combination of performance, technology and refinement that is resonating with more luxury crossover customers.SRX retail sales rose 17.7 percent in the first half of 2011, building on a record-setting 2010 sales increase of 150 percent.

The new 3.6L – known by its “LFX” engine code – is the sole engine offered in the SRX. It delivers 16-percent more horsepower (308 hp / 230 kW) than the previous V-6 and provides greater low-rpm torque. Vehicle responsiveness is dramatically improved in all operating conditions – launch from a standstill, around town maneuvering in traffic, passing maneuvers and full-throttle acceleration. It is matched with the Hydra-Matic 6T70 six-speed automatic transmission, which features a driver-selectable Eco feature that alters the shift points and throttle progression to help optimize fuel economy.

SRX also brings enhanced features for 2012, as well as updates that make it quieter and more refined – including new sound-absorbing material placed strategically throughout the vehicle. The Base and Sport suspension systems have been revised to improve the ride quality.

“The improvements we’ve made to the 2012 SRX make an already great luxury crossover even better, giving our customers more performance and features,” said Don Butler, vice president of Cadillac Marketing. “Many of the changes are a direct response to consumer feedback, demonstrating Cadillac’s commitment to total customer satisfaction.”

Feature and content enhancements for 2012 include: (click here to continue reading (http://cadillacmagazine.com/2011/07/26/cadillac-srx-for-2012-more-power-features/))

http://cadillacmagazine.com/2011/07/26/cadillac-srx-for-2012-more-power-features/

JimmyH
07-26-11, 03:52 PM
Good to see they are discontinuing the turbo. I never thought it was the right engine for the SRX.

PJ1520
07-26-11, 04:03 PM
Why not? The turbo was right there in horsepower and had 11% more peak torque than the 2012's V6.

PJ

Lord Cadillac
07-26-11, 04:24 PM
It's not that the turbo was really great it's that the V6 was pretty bad for a vehicle competing with the best in the segment...

Why not? The turbo was right there in horsepower and had 11% more peak torque than the 2012's V6.

PJ

JimmyH
07-26-11, 04:25 PM
I guess I am not a fan of forced induction. I have never driven anything with GM's new turbo V6, but I have driven other older and newer turbos. The older ones are not applicable, but VW's turbo4 for example; I remember turbo engines having lots of lag, and being high-revving. This one is the opposite; no lag to speak of, which is good, but it runs out of breath as the engine speed increases. Not something I would expect. And of course there is the extra cost and weight of turbochargers. I would probably be okay with a supercharged engine. But that's still more weight, and the roots type are prone to heat soak.

I know the day will likely come when all cars will have some kind of forced induction. In the meantime, I will stick with natural aspiration, preferably a big V8, as long as I can.

PJ1520
07-26-11, 04:54 PM
JimmyH.........I have always subscribed to the school of thought that teaches there is no substitute for cubic inches (liters, displacement). But I think the 2.8L turbo performed admirably. The GenII is only about 150 pounds lighter than the GenI. Yet the turbo got that weight moving out in a very respectable fashion. That is the reason the new 3.6L V6 will be so popular in my mind. It has near turbo horsepower albeit not quite the torque, about 30 lb. feet or 10% less.

I like everything I have read about the improvements on the 2012. Cadillac certainly is not sitting on its laurels here. I believe GM has made all of the right moves to continue closing in on this market segement's leader, not just be content for sitting in second place.

For the poster who said a heated steering wheel is unimportant, speak to my wife. She will straighten you out in a hurry. :thepan:

PJ

JimmyH
07-26-11, 06:40 PM
My biggest concern with these new Cadillacs is how much they are going to cost to fix when the warranty is gone. Probably cheap next to BMW and MB, but still alot more than the more basic cars out there. I was watching Motorweek a while back, and they were praising the new Tourag hybrid for all its wonderful technology. The whole time I kept thinking "I feel sorry for the poor soul that will have to get that car fixed after warranty."