: *help* caddy is up on blocks / / fog light issues - 2008 sts

2kcanada1
07-26-11, 04:45 AM
Hey guys/girls - need some help here. I've searched the forums and took some advise from other postings to no avail.

2008 STS

When I turn the fog lights on at the switch no light comes up on the dash to indicate they are on, and no lights come on either (worked 2 weeks ago)
The one light that was non operational looked like someone CUT the wire (must be from the metal bracket and a bump) - maybe it shorted?

Pulled bumper off, changed bulbs, still does not work. Checked wiring, still looking alright. Is there a ground for them? The plug in to the lighting box looks good, need to do a volt test (but the turn signals work, so power must be going to them)

Things I have done:

Checked fuses - good (swapped with spare and tested again)
Checked relay (swapped with spare and tested)
Checked fuse box under back seats (nothing looks to bad)
Checked main ground - looks okay, not having any other electrical problems.
Banged my head up against the garage wall - (still doing it)

Any suggestions????? She's still on blocks in the garage as I don't want to put it back together till I figure this out.

ddalder
07-27-11, 12:29 AM
When you activate the switch, does the indicator illuminate on your cluster showing they are on? If you, do you hear the relay engage when the switch is activated?

2kcanada1
07-27-11, 12:59 AM
Nothing on the cluster - any idea? I just got a little clip light power tester today - never used it before, but will try to figure out if there is power to the lights. I just find it wierd that the cluster doesn't even turn on.

ddalder
07-27-11, 01:13 AM
I would suggest that your problem is not forward of the firewall. The fog light switch grounds an input on the Instrument Panel Module (IPM). The IPM will then activate the fog light relay while sending a data message to the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) instructing it to turn on the fog lamp indicator. I would start by looking at the multifunction switch and related wiring. The fault may also be within the IPM. This (if defective) would be a dealer only repair as it would require reprogramming with information specific to your car. Definitely start simple though by checking the switch and wiring.

2kcanada1
07-27-11, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the reply, I was beginning to think the same, as the relay does not engage at all - headlights do/hi/low - no fog.

Now the big question: where and how do I get at the multifunction switch ground/wiring?

The vehicle is still under warranty - but I am afraid that they'll say "you put on after market HID's it's your fault" ffs. (I took them out and replaced with regular bulbs now)

EChas3
07-27-11, 09:38 PM
Is there any possibility your high-beams are not off? High beams will disable the Fogs.

2kcanada1
08-01-11, 01:55 PM
I put it all back together - and it ended up that the car needs to be RUNNING for the fogs to activate. WTF.

It all works now - but still recovering from the head injury when I banged my head on the wall.

ddalder
08-01-11, 04:02 PM
Ummm, yes. The brake lights are the same. They won't come on either if the car is off. Thought you were aware of these things since they had been working previously.