: [Rant] Poor Craftmanship - Losing Faith In Cadillac Quickly

///M Eater
07-25-11, 10:49 PM
First off, I am not a troll. As a few of you know I purchased a 2010 Platinum just over a year ago. I have about 35k miles on it now and it is a completely different car than what it was when I purchased it, negatively speaking.

How can GM's top of the mill, luxury SUV expect to compete against others in its class with the quality and craftsmanship it presents? I have ridden in a friends Range Rover a few months ago and that is, by far, leaps and bounds ahead of my Escalade in nearly every single way, as well as cheaper. Sure it turns heads from the outside but the inside surely doesn't.

Over the course of 35k miles, I have replaced
2 A-Pillar Bose Speakers
2 (going on 3) Door Handles
3 or 4 Sets of Armrests in the 2nd Row Seats (Captains Chairs) Its not even like they need to support a lot of weight, they cant even hold a friends arm comfortably without breaking!
1 Misc Part in the Front Passenger window due to squeaking and leaving marks on the tint (still not fixed)
The glovebox falls open at random times, its been fixed twice - still does it

The service dept. tells me these are all mostly common design flaws. If so, way to go GM...

Not to mention no DROID compatability on the NAV system?

The car in general has absolutely no plush feeling whatsoever. The miscellaneous parts throughout the car are sourced from all other GM cars. It seems like they truly pieced it together with the parts they had laying around. I mean, couldnt GM give their top of the line SUV a little thought and make it somewhat unique instead of using everything from seats, to window controls, to steering wheels from other cars in their model line? The steering wheel is the same one GM uses in my company's Express cargo van...come on!

I hope its just this Escalade because if not, GM has made one huge mistake in terms of quality...

I am not trying to offend anyone or anything. I am just simply stating this car has left me with a lot more to be desired. Mechanically it is a champ though :thumbsup:

(Flame suit on)

///M Eater
07-25-11, 10:54 PM
Oh and before I forget....

No heated mirrors....are you kidding me? You know how annoying it was to have my mirrors freeze this winter on an 85k dollar car? Again, my company's (stripped) Express vans have this!

And no rain sense wipers.

Sloppy shifting transmission (especially 2-3).

The list goes on...

BIG85JEEP
07-25-11, 10:59 PM
You won't hear any flaming from me dude, I'm with you 100%...I just posted this in another thread

Man I tell you, this truck had been the most expensive and biggest POS I've ever owned. I've had the running board motors replaced (need another one already) factory 22's replaced, rear defogger re-soldered, door lock actuators replaced, quarter panel repainted from surface rust on the panel causing the paint to flake, idles and shifts like a turd and the hunk of junk stalls on its own when ever I tow with it and all my dealer tells me is "can not duplicate".... Sorry, I'll stop, this isn't my rant thread but come on Cadillac.... This will be the last Cadillac I EVER own.

I could go on but what good is it going to do me?

evois
07-25-11, 11:25 PM
no problems with my hybrid. it is a workhorse and gives me excellent mileage. waiting to buy another escalade hybrid in 2014 in addition to what I got. reliability beats luxury in my mind.

Tec80
07-26-11, 01:01 AM

No heated mirrors....are you kidding me? You know how annoying it was to have my mirrors freeze this winter on an 85k dollar car? Again, my company's (stripped) Express vans have this!

The list goes on...

The heated mirrors are linked to the rear defogger switch...unless they thrifted them, like they did with rainsense. On the other hand, I have a 2007 with rainsense and it is worthless, I'd trade for regular intermittent wipers because when the rainsense doesn't work, you have to turn the low speed wipers on, even for light mist. Then they chatter.

The trans shifting issue has a fix, there is an updated calibration.

hcvone
07-26-11, 07:25 AM

The list goes on...

Heated mirrors are standard, they have been on all 7 of my 2007 and up Escalade's, I know because I live in the arctic, maybe yours are not working but they are standard and work great. The rain sense wiper thing sucks in simple terms. I own 2 range rovers, one of them has been to the dealer more times than my 7 escalade's and 11 corvette's put together, the joke is with range rover owners is you need a second car if you own a rr, and for the lst 7 years they have always been in the botton 3 of owners satisfaction, that is per jd powers, yea I though by spending a 108k the rr was the ticket, it's really nice, but many problems

Big Windy Ext
07-26-11, 08:08 AM
You are not alone,I am surprised I enjoy the vehicle as much as I do considering the amount of visits to the service dept.On general reliability,I haven't had to walk so thats a big plus.I can't keep up with the problems,minor but a real challenge,I'm waiting for a few more problems to lump together with this months problem,the window trim paint flaking,I get around the no power when hot issue by putting it in Tow/haul an unresolved issue after two service visits.Oh well,thanks for the chance to vent a little .

rjm
07-26-11, 10:47 AM
I have to agree.

I picked my '11 a few months ago and so far a little over 3K miles, and haven't experienced any problems.

BUT, the quality of the materials used don't belong in a Chevy, much less a Cadillac. Everything appears to be solidly constructed, but after cleaning it a few times, I find myself constantly saying "Of all the cheap, lousy ways to save a buck."

Case in point:

--the unfinished headliner along the windshield
--unfinished carpet edge in the second row, not to mention the cheapness of the carpet itself
--cheap, cheap plastics used for the lower half of the door and IP
--flimsy lid on the center console, and the glove box door
--unbelievably cheap, unconvincing fake wood
--memory system that isn't much of a memory system
--no led interior lighting
--lack of rainsense (I have to go all the way back to my '94 DeVille to find my last car w/o a rainsensor!, and I get a new one every 2 or 3 years)

I could go on, but others have pointed out most of the shortcomings.

Its not that I don't like the truck, I do. But I've always driven a big Cadillac sedan, first a Fleetwood, then Sedan deVille, nest DeVille, and finally DTS. With the end of the DTS, I was left in the lurch. After much searching, driving, re-driving, I'd settled on an S550, but there was just something about it that wasn't right, it just didn't fit me.

Which brings me to the Escalade. Compared to my last 2 DTS, well there is no comparison (and my '08 was a Platinum). Its like they come from 2 completely different manufacturers. I know ones a car and the others a truck, but the build quality, quality of materials used, etc. the DTS is leagues ahead of the Escalade. I don't think its asking too much to expect them to be comparable (considering the Escalade costs more it should be better).

I don't want it to sound like I'm being too harsh on the truck, I really do like it and driving it (usually) puts a smile on my face, but it is a truck. My attitude might change if I start having problems, but I'm hoping its like all my previous Cadillacs in that I have the oil changed and the tires rotated a few times, then move on to the next one.

BIG85JEEP
07-26-11, 12:46 PM
...The trans shifting issue has a fix, there is an updated calibration.

Any type of bulletin number on this or something I can reference my dealer to?

Thanks!

Squiggly
07-27-11, 09:06 AM
This is part of the reason I am looking into buying a '59 series 62 convertible. I want to be able to have a car that I know wasn't built with compromised luxury due to budgets. This is also why I like my Escalade (2004) compared to my Dad's (2007). As different as they are outside, the interior feels much more comfortable to me and other people I have had in the car. The sound systems aren't even comparable, as there is absolutely no depth in the '07. I have much more leg room, and clearance from the roof even with the seat dropped all the way (I am 6'4). His center console shakes, as I have noticed in others at the dealer. When quickly accelerating, the shifts are very violent. The headlights, especially the high beams, are significantly dimmer. The list goes on. All those things compromised when it comes to function, for a few strips of chrome trim. Don't get me wrong, I still like my dad's car, and Escalades in general (they are my favorite cars), but when I drive it, there is so much more to desired. I would never buy a foreign car over an American car, however there is obviously room for serious improvements. I don't blame Cadillac as much as I blame GM. They are allowing fully loaded Chevys to have all the features of ours. I would think that they should lower the budgets for Chevy, GMC, and Buick (just slightly) so that designers don't have to cheap out on materials and eliminate luxury features.