: HDD - How Do You Use It?

etexlady
07-25-11, 03:20 PM
How do you use the HDD in your SRX? I've recorded a few songs on it from a USB that has my iTunes library on it. The process of putting the songs on the USB from iTunes was more of a challenge than actually transferring them to the HDD. Anyone have a different use for the HDD?

Kuya
07-25-11, 08:19 PM
Hmm. . . . just curious . .

Are you saying that if you transfer iTunes song to a usb, you can then record them to the HDD in the SRX? I have never even attempted to use the HDD because it seemed . . . not worth it. I buy my songs but I was told you can't record iTunes songs to the HDD so I never tried . . .

etexlady
07-25-11, 10:18 PM
Yes, I "dragged and dropped" mp3s from my computer's iTunes library onto a USB. I then inserted the USB in the SRX. The screen said "reading USB" and shortly afterwards, every song title on the USB was listed. I selected a few of them and hit the record button and those songs are now on the HDD.

sube5186
07-26-11, 12:48 AM
Hmm. . . . just curious . .

Are you saying that if you transfer iTunes song to a usb, you can then record them to the HDD in the SRX? I have never even attempted to use the HDD because it seemed . . . not worth it. I buy my songs but I was told you can't record iTunes songs to the HDD so I never tried . . .

You can do this as long as the songs are not "protected". Mp3s purchased from some music stores have what's called DRM (Digital Rights Management) encoded into them. This prevents them from being copied or recorded. These types of songs are referred to as "protected". The technology was designed to prevent you from sharing music with your friends, etc. It's just one of the ways the music industry is trying to counteract dismal sales. If your songs don't record onto the SRX's HDD, then more than likely they're protected. Don't forget you also have the option to record your own CDs onto the HDD as well.

Sube

Kuya
07-26-11, 06:27 AM
Thanks etexlady and Sube !!

I am guessing that most or ALL songs that I have purchased via iTunes store are protected? I actually don't own a single DVD . . . for years, I have just purchased songs I want one at a time from iTunes :(

You can do this as long as the songs are not "protected". Mp3s purchased from some music stores have what's called DRM (Digital Rights Management) encoded into them. This prevents them from being copied or recorded. These types of songs are referred to as "protected". The technology was designed to prevent you from sharing music with your friends, etc. It's just one of the ways the music industry is trying to counteract dismal sales. If your songs don't record onto the SRX's HDD, then more than likely they're protected. Don't forget you also have the option to record your own CDs onto the HDD as well.

Sube

mrl859
07-26-11, 08:44 AM
Yes, I "dragged and dropped" mp3s from my computer's iTunes library onto a USB. I then inserted the USB in the SRX. The screen said "reading USB" and shortly afterwards, every song title on the USB was listed. I selected a few of them and hit the record button and those songs are now on the HDD.Two points:To clarify, I don't believe the SRX will play AAC format songs (those downloaded from the itunes store for example) without converting, and why transfer to the HDD? I just keep a 16 GB usb thumb drive plugged into the usb port in the vehicle all the time and use it as an HDD. Much easier to add/remove/modify songs.

sube5186
07-26-11, 05:31 PM
Why transfer to the HDD? I just keep a 16 GB usb thumb drive plugged into the usb port in the vehicle all the time and use it as an HDD. Much easier to add/remove/modify songs.

:thumbsup:

Well said. I do the exact same thing, also with a 16GB thumbdrive. On the HDD you can only create playlists by manually adding one song at a time. Needless to say, if you have hundreds of songs on each playlist that's just not feasible. With a thumbdrive, you simply copy and paste songs to a folder, name that folder whatever you like. Voila! Instant playlist. The only advantage the HDD has over a thumbdrive is the ability to delete songs. You can't delete songs off of a thumbdrive from the car.

Sube

mrl859
07-26-11, 09:49 PM
:thumbsup:

Well said. I do the exact same thing, also with a 16GB thumbdrive. On the HDD you can only create playlists by manually adding one song at a time. Needless to say, if you have hundreds of songs on each playlist that's just not feasible. With a thumbdrive, you simply copy and paste songs to a folder, name that folder whatever you like. Voila! Instant playlist. The only advantage the HDD has over a thumbdrive is the ability to delete songs. You can't delete songs off of a thumbdrive from the car.

SubeTrue. However, you can pop it in your computer and add/delete/modify at will.

Kuya
07-26-11, 10:52 PM
Ok . . . makes sense.

I typically just plug my iPhone into the usb port to play my songs . . . but I hate when I am doing short drives . . in and out of the car . . keep unplugging phone, etc. I think I will invest in the 16G USB.

Thanks