: Has anybody done smaller rear brakes?

Junkie414
07-25-11, 01:24 PM
Anybody done any smaller rear brakes, C5, fbody, etc...? Also anybody tried to get anything smaller then a 18" wheel out back? I'd love to run a 16" rear wheel if I could with a Hoosier 28x10.0x16. Was wondering if its the spindle or the brakes that keep us from going smaller.

Junkie414
07-25-11, 02:45 PM
Also does anybody know what size the base model CTS rear brakes are?

baabootoo
07-25-11, 03:12 PM
No, and why smaller? You'll lose serious braking power. The caliper is the limiting factor and you MAY be able to find a 17" that will squeeze on there. There's a lot of 17" GTO wheels out there for cheap to try out.

serturbo
07-25-11, 03:24 PM
He wants to go smaller for drag racing purposes because he wants to run slicks. Slicks do a much better job of absorbing the shock of a manual tranny or high stall auto. 17s may or may not do. As far as I know, only M/T (I think) has them for 17s. 26x10.5 or something like that and it's not even a regular slick. It's one of those DOT slicks with the slits in them.

Junkie414
07-25-11, 05:15 PM
No, and why smaller? You'll lose serious braking power. The caliper is the limiting factor and you MAY be able to find a 17" that will squeeze on there. There's a lot of 17" GTO wheels out there for cheap to try out.

Most of the braking comes from the front, its just something I want to try it. It wouldn't be a hard swap if I wasn't happy with it. People get these cars in the 1.5x 60ft on an 18" tire. So with a slick in a 16" wheel I would imagine a high 1.3x would be possible. Which is a huge help if you're trying to get more ET out of a car.

He wants to go smaller for drag racing purposes because he wants to run slicks. Slicks do a much better job of absorbing the shock of a manual tranny or high stall auto. 17s may or may not do. As far as I know, only M/T (I think) has them for 17s. 26x10.5 or something like that and it's not even a regular slick. It's one of those DOT slicks with the slits in them.

Nailed it, with a slick/large sidewall radial I'll be able to hit the tire much harder! + a CTS-V sitting on a set of blacked out Bogarts or Welds sounds pretty sick to me

Prof
07-25-11, 06:26 PM
On my SRT 10 to get to 15 inch wheels with slicks, I went with Wilwood Dynalite Pro Series Rear Disc Brakes...it was quite an exercise but well worth the effort.