: Repair Your Rear-Seat Pass-Through Door Latch in a Few Minutes

basscatt
07-25-11, 02:00 AM
For the last 7 or 8 years I have learned a whole lot and contributed a little. Now it’s my turn to return the favor by showing you how to repair that latch that holds the Pass Through Door closed in just a few minutes.

In pic 1 you see the latch. Gently, with your thumb press in and down on the cover, see pic 2.
78208 78209

Pic 3 shows the latch with the cover removed, and you can see the spring that is usually missing, causing the whole problem.

Pic 4 shows what’s under the cover – the black thing is connected to the cable. When the cable is pulled, the black wedge moves to the left, pulling the latch up, releasing the door.

Pic 5 shows the latch with the replacement spring. The spring sits on a little plastic tip. Pic 6 shows the spring in place.
78212 78213

STEP 7 - refer to pic 3 - shows the latch and spring in place, now just slide the cover back up and you are done.

you say "OK - GREAT but where do I get the spring?"

The spring is larger in diameter, a little longer, and a little stronger than a regular ball point pen spring. What I found is that the spring from a “BIC PILOT G-2 05” was the perfect diameter, but a little short, so I stretched it a little to make it a total of 1 inch long – PERFECT!

I hope this helps someone out.

basscatt
07-25-11, 02:17 AM
double post

ILoveCaddy
10-24-11, 09:24 PM
I found this forum a few weeks ago and the amount of information is just staggering.

My pass-thru door has been broken for a while and thanks to Mr. basscatt it is now fixed.

Thanks basscatt.

ILoveCaddy
02-06-12, 11:14 PM
I have fixed 2 other caddys using this fixit, has anyone else used it with success?

johnok2
08-08-13, 05:02 PM
I have a broken latch but I can't open the attachments in the post.i

Ranger
08-08-13, 10:55 PM
They've probably been deleted by Bass.

Submariner409
08-19-13, 11:59 AM
They're up in his albums - Community tab ^^^, Albums, rear seat pass-through.

If the album has gone to History there, click his username, open the profile. Left column, Albums.