: Major road noise and vibrations....

h2kool4tn
07-24-11, 11:21 PM
This may not be all the truck's fault because we drove to Atlanta from Knoxville today and back, almost immediately hitting the GA highway, the road noise gets louder and louder. I did stop once, thinking my tires were flat. But it's so loud I had to pump up the music to dampen the noise. I have the 22" wheels each at 35 psi. Should I let out some air? I hate to give up these wheels for the 18" ones. What about the famous Cadillac Magnetic Ride thing, how do I know if that is working... ?

fmfa0801
07-25-11, 12:09 AM
we drove to Atlanta from Knoxville today and back, almost immediately hitting the GA highway, the road noise gets louder and louder.
Sure it isnt the road or is in consent no matter where you are driving now? I think 35 PSI is what is recommended for the escalade. Could be a wheel bearing or driveline related. Does it happen only at certain speeds or the faster you go the loud it gets or is it loud with the engine running at a stop? Also what kind of noise is it and where does it sound like its coming from?

fmfa0801
07-25-11, 12:11 AM
You could of also threw a wheel balancing weight to. Look to see if any are missing

the cadillac man
07-25-11, 01:43 AM
sounds like a wheel bearing to me i know it just get worse as you drive and varies with the speed.

hcvone
07-25-11, 08:04 AM
I do a lot of interstate road driving and some of the concrete roads really make my tires scream, really bad on my Corvette's on certain roads too

h2kool4tn
07-26-11, 01:19 PM
Well I'm taking it in for a regular oil change this week, maybe I can ask for them to check all the other problems... for now I am deflating it to 31 psi because of the extreme heat in TN.

hcvone
07-26-11, 07:10 PM
If you want to end any tire balance issues get your wheels road forced balanced, you will not believe the difference, smooth as glass

smiley47
07-26-11, 07:29 PM
I'm not familiar with road forced balancing. Is it done by a specialty wheel shop or available at a Caddy dealership? My EXT with 22's isn't nearly as smooth riding as the dealer's loaner base Escalades with 18's so I might have to give it a try.

hcvone
07-27-11, 08:00 AM
Some dealers have the correct Hunter machine, but many do not know how to use it correctly, your best bet would be a good tire shop that has a Hunter Road Force Balancing machine, they do more tires than the dealerships do. :)

rjm
07-27-11, 11:05 AM
Its just the lousy Bridgestone tires.

I make the Knoxville-Atlanta regularly. In my previous DTS there are stretches of I-75 where the road roar/noise from the Bridgestoneswas so bad that I LITERALLY couldn't hear myself think. I haven't driven the Escalade on that route yet, but I expect more of the same. Those Bridgestones--Turanzas--were also horrible about flat-spotting if the car sat for longer than 5 minutes, which of course lends an extremely bumpy ride for the first few miles, and would hydroplane at moments notice in the lightest of showers or the heaviest of downpours. I argued between Cadillac and Bridgestone for over a month and finally gave up and replaced them on my own dime (even thought I'd leased the vehicle).

After that experience I swore I would never have another set of Bridgestone tires. These on the Escalade are somewhat quieter, but thats not saying much, so far they haven't been as prone to hydroplaning, but its still there. And with this heat, they are flat spotting faster than you can say flat spot. Which drives my crazy since I never drive more than a few miles at any given time over the course of a regular day, I never dry long enough for the flat spots to smooth out.

Before I drove this vehicle home, I did plenty of online research and hoped that perhaps the Bridgestones on my DTS were just a bad set, but now that I've lived with a different set for a few months, my conclusion is that Bridgestone just makes cheap, lousy tires.

hcvone
07-27-11, 03:22 PM
Not true about the Bridgestone tires on your Escalade, they are probably the hardest tire compound out there, this allows them to give great tire mileage, I have many customers going 50k plus on 22's, being a wheel manufacturer we get to see many tires and how they hold up, most 22's are gone at 20k miles, and believe it or not I have gone through a set of 22's in 7k miles, but they stuck like glue. :)

quattrotman
07-27-11, 09:19 PM
My money would be on your tires being the culprit. You'd be surprised how bad tires can make your driving experience. I had some goodyear's once that looked like new but were several years old (looked new because of the hard compound). They balanced out fine and looked perfect but if you ran your hand over them there was a tiny unevenness. They were scalloped which meant some tread blocks were different depths than others.they vibrated and howled like crazy. Hard compound tires will last forever but their actual useful life is less than the wear bars would indicate in my experience. I guarantee you if you got new tires everything would be fine. It's not the size, they're just done. Hard and scalloped or even slightly flat spotted.

jlnewell
02-22-13, 01:37 PM
Have a 2008 SRX after replacing tires 2nd time at about 85K I started getting bad road noise even at low speed. The tires are Firestone Destinations and have about 10K on them now. I have kept rotated and balanced by Firestone Dealer. You can run your hand over the tire and feel raised edges on tread. When noted to dealer at last rotation he said yea I need new suspension!! Right!! I think this is a bad tire design. Need to know if anyone has had similar experience. Guess it could be wheel bearings but don’t think so…

Thanks for any replies!

wesyder
02-22-13, 03:04 PM
Have a 2008 SRX after replacing tires 2nd time at about 85K I started getting bad road noise even at low speed. The tires are Firestone Destinations and have about 10K on them now. I have kept rotated and balanced by Firestone Dealer. You can run your hand over the tire and feel raised edges on tread. When noted to dealer at last rotation he said yea I need new suspension!! Right!! I think this is a bad tire design. Need to know if anyone has had similar experience. Guess it could be wheel bearings but don’t think so…

Thanks for any replies!

Had same issue on an 06 srx, have alignment checked, i didn't keep car long enough after i bought new tires