: Prestone's Extended Life 5-year/150,000 miles coolant vs. Dexcool = Same Thing?!

M.A.C
07-24-11, 02:09 PM
I just flushed the orange Dexcool in my STS and replaced it with Prestone's Extended Life Coolant (http://www.prestone.com/products/antifreeze_coolant/product_list#product-378) only to find out that it has the same formulation as Prestone's GM approved Dexcool. I know there are knowledgeable people who will correct me if I'm wrong, but this means I simply replaced the GM Approved orange Dexcool with Prestone's green clone version of Dexcool? Is this correct?

EChas3
07-27-11, 11:29 PM
I looked into this idea when I had to have the water pump replaced. They must be different (the die if nothing else).

I stuck with Dexcool. Maybe I'm foolish but I know my warranty is still good.

M.A.C
07-29-11, 02:08 PM
I looked into this idea when I had to have the water pump replaced. They must be different (the die if nothing else).

I stuck with Dexcool. Maybe I'm foolish but I know my warranty is still good.

I think there is a slight difference between GM Dexcool formula and Prestone's Extended Life Coolant. The main thing is that replacing Dexcool with Prestone's ELC still maintains the 5-year change requirement and apparently does not have the same problems as Dexcool. If you're using Dexcool, it's important to make sure the cooling system is sealed, including making sure the surge tank cap is good. If you happen to see coolant leaking on the driver's side near the fire wall, check the surge tank overflow hose for leaking. If it is, buy a new cap.