: No cruise control in 5th gear?

WesH8398
07-24-11, 11:40 AM
I've noticed this over the past few weeks. I thought it was just a random event and that I had some electrical gremlins to work out, but yesterday something dawned on me. I was going 75 km/h in 5th and tried to set the cruise. It wouldn't set. No green light illuminated on the dash, and no crusie control happened. I flicked the switch on and off a few times and tried setting it again; still nothing. Then I thought about changing gears and trying it. I shifted to 6th, same speed, and voila. Cruise control set.
I repeated this this morning on my way to work and it was the same scenario. I'm SURE I've had the car on cruise in 5th gear before, but now it wont set. I tried different speeds and still no go. Then I shifted to 6th and it set just fine.
Are our cars programmed to only 'cruise' in 6th? I'm going to try 4th later today which will answer that question anyway. So assuming it's supposed to set cruise in 5th, why wouldn't my car be doing so? Any ideas?

repenttokyo
07-24-11, 01:58 PM
CPS? do u have any codes store?

WesH8398
07-24-11, 03:08 PM
No lights, no codes, no nothin'... This is strange. I'll also mention that after I get cruise set in 6th, if I cancel that and go back to 5th and try to set it again, it still doesn't work. It's something to do with that gear...

WesH8398
07-25-11, 09:05 AM
I got it to engage in 5th a couple times today, but after the first few times it worked, there were a few times it didn't. Again, it still engaged every time in 6th and 4th. This issue is specific to 5th gear... wtf...

darkman
07-25-11, 09:19 AM
See attached.

WesH8398
07-25-11, 10:13 AM
Thanks Darkman. I don't have the necessary scan tool to do any of those diagnoses, unfortunately. I'll have to just deal with it or see the dealer about it I guess.

darkman
07-25-11, 10:19 AM
I know the trouble shooting procedure requires a scan tool that most of us do not have, but the procedure often identifies which components or component connections to check.

Naf
08-09-11, 05:59 AM
I am gonna take one of the mech with me for a test drive, i have had a similar issue and it ended up being the tune. This is extremely weird how i only have cruise up to 4th gear and not in 5th and 6th

mberisha
08-09-11, 07:55 AM
The Vs have cruise?

Naf
10-24-11, 02:17 AM
found out what my problem was...

I had the computer calibrations wrong, leave the pulses per rotation at 40, disregard the 17 pulses for manual transmissions..

I also calibrated the pulses per km/mi so i am exact..

WesH8398
10-24-11, 09:24 AM
I haven't done any tuning, so that's not my prob.