: Performance Chips?

JediSamreye
07-23-11, 07:47 PM
I have been seeing chips all over the place, i have been wondering if there really work and / or if they hurt your car. I looked in the FAQs and didnt see anything so I was wondering if anyone on here has had any luck / horror stories about them

dkozloski
07-23-11, 08:20 PM
There are no performance chips that do anything for an STS and most are worse than nothing. There is a CAI that makes more noise but no performance gains. Exhaust is about it. Cadillac left very little on the table when they designed this thing.

JediSamreye
07-23-11, 08:47 PM
I figured as much, the chip stuff has always seemed super hokey to me anyways. So does the k and n even have any gains?

Subsailor613
07-23-11, 09:45 PM
The K and N CAI filter is NOT recommended, as it is a oil type filter,
and it pulls oil off the filter and deposits it on the MAS=Mass Air Sensor,
and gives you a code (Check engine light) . :cool2::cool2::cool2:

JediSamreye
07-24-11, 02:10 AM
I was meaning the drop in OEM filter made by k and n, ive run some higher hp engines (ej20, etc.) with those filters and never got a CEL. I dont mean a CAI

dkozloski
07-24-11, 02:29 AM
The K&N filter element is wetted with oil to trap dirt. The oil can contaminate the MAF sensor and give you a CEL.

jedhead
07-24-11, 04:01 AM
I have used K&N filters in many cars for 35 years, never had a problem. The only cases that I am personal aware of with MAF problems were caused by the owner over oiling the filter element after cleaning. If you use the oil very sparingly and allow the oil to wick, you should not have any problems. I have had a K&N on the Honda for 145K no problems or CEL. I have had a K&N on the SHO for 186K no problems or CEL. I have had a Spectre Intake with simular type of filter since Nov 2010 with 15K miles, no CEL.

Bob

dkozloski
07-24-11, 04:11 AM
Independent head to head tests have shown that the air filter element that traps dirt the most efficiently, has the lowest restriction to airflow, and will hold the greatest amount of dirt is the original equipment ACDelco paper filter. It's on the internet so it must be true.

JediSamreye
07-24-11, 12:53 PM
so it looks like there is a debate here, so no one on here has actually installed a K & N drop in on their STS

KRSTS
07-24-11, 01:39 PM
so it looks like there is a debate here, so no one on here has actually installed a K & N drop in on their STS

I have had one in my 2008 STS for three years with absolutely no issues.:cloud9:

dkozloski
07-24-11, 03:32 PM
It's not worth arguing about. The only part of the operating range where an air filter makes any difference at all is at the extreme top end. Of course that's where we all drive or machines.

onlyuscars
07-25-11, 07:26 PM
I went corsa exhaust and volant cai, seat of pants says faster, but no concrete proof either way

ezstriper
07-27-11, 11:20 AM
put a drop in K&N in 2 years ago...been fine... V6

jedhead
07-29-11, 03:08 AM
I have 24K miles on my Spectre Intake with an oil impregnated filter. No problems. Some owners did have problems with the engine getting a lean condition at first because so much more air was getting into the engine and the stock PCM was not able to compensate. A smaller insert for the MAF cured the lean condition issue. I didn't have a problem because my tune was able to compensate for the higher volume of air going into the engine. STS-V

Bob

porkfarm
07-29-11, 07:30 AM
Same boat here... both K&N drop in and Volant.. Never had an issue. Just have to let the filter dry after cleaning and re-oil. Never had a code. And they do give it one heck of a growl if you have a non stock exhaust.. Getting on the highway is a sweet sound.