: HVAC Issue and dealer says its normal, anyone else sweat bullets too?

MrMaschine
07-23-11, 05:49 PM
My AC has been acting funny since spring but now that its supper hot out my car blows warm air for 10-15 min
when i am driving in local roads, the AC will not blow cold until i get on the highway and take up to 80MPH

Dealer took it in 2 times and on the invoice it said the airvents operate normal at 58 degree max cool.

Anyone here have the same issue? Can it be a leak or a sensor malfunction? I am so tired of having it at the dealer and nothing ever gets repaired.

granted the car is black and the interior is but so is my Denali and it doesnt do this.

mrl859
07-23-11, 05:51 PM
Try a different dealer. It should begin to cool within 60 seconds, even at rest.

MrMaschine
07-23-11, 06:01 PM
these dealers suck if you ask me. cant wait til i get the survey in the mail

newcadman
07-23-11, 06:20 PM
My AC has been acting funny since spring but now that its supper hot out my car blows warm air for 10-15 min
when i am driving in local roads, the AC will not blow cold until i get on the highway and take up to 80MPH

Dealer took it in 2 times and on the invoice it said the airvents operate normal at 58 degree max cool.

Anyone here have the same issue? Can it be a leak or a sensor malfunction? I am so tired of having it at the dealer and nothing ever gets repaired.

granted the car is black and the interior is but so is my Denali and it doesnt do this.

As for airvent temp ideally you should be seeing a temp. in the neighborhood of 42 degrees when the thermometer is in the center air duct, the side vents are closed and the fan speed is at one setting above the lowest fan speed setting.

May wish to arm yourself with your own air duct thermometer ( snap on tools sells them I believe ) for around $20 or less . Stick it in air duct and if you are not seeing the temp right at or around the 42 mark tell them( dealership) in no uncertain terms that anything other than that temp is not correct and is unacceptable.

Best of luck and don't take no for an answer.

neuronbob
07-23-11, 07:34 PM
It was over 90 degrees today here in the Cleveland area and I had ice cold air blowing from the vents in a little less than 60 seconds. Thank goodness. Your situation is clearly NOT normal. Keep pressing this up the food chain at your dealer, and even point them at this thread. Seems like you need a different dealer.

Domsz06
07-23-11, 09:53 PM
not normal. It was 110 here few weeks ago and I had to turn it up to about 72 it was so freaking cold in my car. I LOVE the ceramic tint on my car as well :D

kgb14
07-24-11, 12:06 AM
When it is near 100 degrees and the sun has been baking the interior all day in the work parking lot, my black interior does take about 10 or 15 minutes before it cools down. It does seems like the air isn't working well but when I park in the shade it does just fine. I have begun to use a sunshade to keep the interior from being so hot you can't touch it when you get in and it has helped considerably.

PRICELESS
07-24-11, 12:26 AM
Every once in a while it seems as if mine blows warm for a lil longer than normal ......gets me ???

baabootoo
07-24-11, 01:18 AM
58? It should be more like 38 like was said.

haterinc
07-24-11, 01:27 AM
agreed... ice cold within a minute but with the ceramic tint, it doesn't get that hot inside either so it cools down fast

shade
07-24-11, 01:56 AM
Here is the real deal :)
Mine also blows at 43 degrees I cant get it any colder. When I first got the car it wouldnt blow that cold so I took it into the dealer and it was a little overcharged from the factory. After going with this for a few months still not good enough.
Saw an ad at the local Chevey dealer(when I was having my Tahoe serviced) for arctic blast - they pull out a few ounces of 134 and replace it with this synthetic stuff. Ended up working a little better so it was worth it.
I always had the issue with it taking too long to cool down so what I did was....

Bypassed the heater core. Running the car on a cold start AC was good. Run around for awhile and shut the car off for say 20 minutes. AC would take 20-30 min before getting back down to where it was cold.
Bypassing the heater core doesnt allow any hot coolant to enter where the evaporator is. So they are not constantly fighting one another.
Now the AC cools much faster and stays cooler.

The overall solution is a larger condensor - ours is too small. I had a vendor look into this and actually tested out a larger one but they didnt get good enough results to mass produce. Hell I would have taken it for another 3 or 4 degrees cooler

Any vendor out there want to take the challenge? Damn Dom not sure how the hell yours freezes you out but more power to ya...Prick :)

In the winter I'll put it back.

jzchen
07-24-11, 09:00 AM
Set at 72 degrees F I will sweat when it's hot. At 70 I'm fine, if that helps you any...

Rabbitctsv
07-24-11, 10:22 AM
I had the same problem, the dealer said the same to me, Answer me this! are you always in and out of the throttle? ( LIKE I AM? ) the compressor has a built in safety that will keep it from destroying itself at high RPM's and quick throttle blips. I know my vette did not and I would blow the belts off it until i got in the habit of turning it off before i went crazy on the throttle (1000 rwhp), Im glad the CTSV has this built in, this is what you might be filling !

Mystical_Ice
07-24-11, 10:26 AM
i think these cars have probably the worst A/C system of any car i've ever owned.

flyingv
07-24-11, 05:01 PM
I had a similar problem about a week after getting my car. Mine would blow cold @ freeway speed, but immediately heat up when I slowed down. Took it to the dealer, they replaced the Hi-Lo AC pressure switch and it was all good after. I would definitely agree the system in our cars Is a little week for a GM product, but it's way better than my brother's 3 series BMW.

David Nicholas
07-24-11, 06:54 PM
It's all BS. The AC should start blowing cold within two or three minutes of your starting the engine, or it's not working right.
How long it takes to cool down the interior will depend on the color, the outside temperature, the sun, and all that stuff, but the system should blow cold air throught the ducts fairly quickly.
You need to find another dealer.

JOEYCTS-V
07-24-11, 07:28 PM
I had a problem a few days ago when the temperature was 106 with high humidity. It took my car forever to cool off after sitting in the sun all day. Today when it was a little over 90 it cooled off immediately. I guess in extreme heat it's hard for it to keep up.

Torxila
07-24-11, 08:36 PM
100 (humid) degrees in Detroit this week, temp set to 60, I have the fan on high (recirculating mode inside air) for no more than 2 minutes before I HAVE to turn the fan down to 2nd slowest speed or it's a meat locker. "I'm a BIG 'ol sweathog" and my coupe will perk up my nips! I also have ceramic tinted windows and cooled Recaros. This is probably the coldest AC I've ever had, something must be wrong with yours, try another dealer.

Good luck
George

Mystical_Ice
07-25-11, 01:58 AM
It's all BS. The AC should start blowing cold within two or three minutes of your starting the engine, or it's not working right.

Agree - except the AC should start blowing cold within 5 or 10 SECONDS of starting your engine. It's sad that my 1999 camry blows colder air (within seconds) than my $75k cadillac...

BLitzkrieg
07-25-11, 10:04 AM
My 09 black CTS-V is horrible with the AC. I have to get up to speed to get some air across the condenser and have the fanon low before it gets cold. Now my buddy 09 pearl white CTS-V is freezing the moment you turn it on.

jdodman
07-25-11, 10:51 AM
I have a similar but different problem. I have been to the dealer twice in 4 months, with my 2011 CTSV for AC failures. Not slow, but all out failure. Seems I keep blowing a seal on the condensor. On Friday it was 106 here and for the 5.5 mile ride home after work, it never blew cold. I was pizzed thinking I would be back at the dealer again today (Monday) for a 3rd seal, but after a weekend in the garage, and 75 degrees this morning, it worked perfect. I don't get it.
Also, for what it is worth, a guy at work has the exact same CTS V as mine (color, year, everything) except he has an automatic trans, and he says his AC is always perfect. Could it be something to do with the manual trans ?

I also notice if you stop into a store and shut off the car, then jump back in 5 minutes later, the ac also struggles to come back.
Now I keep it at idle and hope it is still there when I get out.

mannyz
07-25-11, 11:12 AM
Also, for what it is worth, a guy at work has the exact same CTS V as mine (color, year, everything) except he has an automatic trans, and he says his AC is always perfect. Could it be something to do with the manual trans ?

Who's car is faster? :)

BLitzkrieg
07-25-11, 11:34 AM
I have a similar but different problem. I have been to the dealer twice in 4 months, with my 2011 CTSV for AC failures. Not slow, but all out failure. Seems I keep blowing a seal on the condensor. On Friday it was 106 here and for the 5.5 mile ride home after work, it never blew cold. I was pizzed thinking I would be back at the dealer again today (Monday) for a 3rd seal, but after a weekend in the garage, and 75 degrees this morning, it worked perfect. I don't get it.

I also notice if you stop into a store and shut off the car, then jump back in 5 minutes later, the ac also struggles to come back.

Mine is an auto and its friggen hot.

shade
07-25-11, 03:04 PM

It stops blowing cold after you shut it off because of the coolant that also circulates throught the heat core system for dual climate control.
Bypass the heater core and this issue goes away. I did it about 2 months ago I was sick of it not getting cold again after driving it

MrMaschine
07-25-11, 03:14 PM
Wow cant get over everyone's reply that this AC issue isnt just my car. Is there something wrong with the cars plumbing and component design? I never had a car act like this and its very annoying i started leaving the car run in front of stores and the office lately.

Has anyone gotten dealer relief in terms of a repair?

shade
07-25-11, 06:43 PM
Reread my post here
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/235812-hvac-issue-dealer-says-its-normal.html#post2662177

Domsz06
07-25-11, 09:53 PM
Here is the real deal :)
Mine also blows at 43 degrees I cant get it any colder. When I first got the car it wouldnt blow that cold so I took it into the dealer and it was a little overcharged from the factory. After going with this for a few months still not good enough.
Saw an ad at the local Chevey dealer(when I was having my Tahoe serviced) for arctic blast - they pull out a few ounces of 134 and replace it with this synthetic stuff. Ended up working a little better so it was worth it.
I always had the issue with it taking too long to cool down so what I did was....

Bypassed the heater core. Running the car on a cold start AC was good. Run around for awhile and shut the car off for say 20 minutes. AC would take 20-30 min before getting back down to where it was cold.
Bypassing the heater core doesnt allow any hot coolant to enter where the evaporator is. So they are not constantly fighting one another.
Now the AC cools much faster and stays cooler.

The overall solution is a larger condensor - ours is too small. I had a vendor look into this and actually tested out a larger one but they didnt get good enough results to mass produce. Hell I would have taken it for another 3 or 4 degrees cooler

Any vendor out there want to take the challenge? Damn Dom not sure how the hell yours freezes you out but more power to ya...Prick :)

In the winter I'll put it back.

he he he sorry :D I still am not sure I get what you did lol.

I had the same problem, the dealer said the same to me, Answer me this! are you always in and out of the throttle? ( LIKE I AM? ) the compressor has a built in safety that will keep it from destroying itself at high RPM's and quick throttle blips. I know my vette did not and I would blow the belts off it until i got in the habit of turning it off before i went crazy on the throttle (1000 rwhp), Im glad the CTSV has this built in, this is what you might be filling !

Interesting.... My z has not had any issues yet...

i think these cars have probably the worst A/C system of any car i've ever owned.

Really? I don't get it. I swear sometimes I wonder if I really have a v or not. I don't get how my car has absolutely zero of the "common" issues, and it was made in aug of 08.......

Domsz06
07-25-11, 09:55 PM
It stops blowing cold after you shut it off because of the coolant that also circulates throught the heat core system for dual climate control.
Bypass the heater core and this issue goes away. I did it about 2 months ago I was sick of it not getting cold again after driving it

I'm going to have to go try this, to see if mine does it. So are you saying that after you drove around, and then stopped for say 20 min, and then got back in it it wouldn't cool off?

Q8 6.2
07-26-11, 01:18 PM
This thred is un accurate you can't give opinion of the Ac effectivenes with out saying what environment you are in... in cool areas the ac will always be ice cold..

this car compared to others in my invionment has the worst god dam Ac.

cdog533
07-26-11, 01:33 PM
In my 2010 manual, it's blowing cold in about 15 seconds when its 90 outside - even when idling. Car cools down in minute or two typically.

If you aren't seeing this, then I am guessing you are low on refridgerant or the cooling system has an issue. At any rate, it should idle and blow cold air, just like a Hyundai... All the dealer excuses are complete BS. A car should be able to blow out conditioned air at idle.

shade
07-26-11, 01:45 PM
I'm going to have to go try this, to see if mine does it. So are you saying that after you drove around, and then stopped for say 20 min, and then got back in it it wouldn't cool off?

Correct the heat from the coolant is still sitting in the heater core area when you shut the car off and it heats that whole area up(by the evaporator). So when you start the AC again it has to cool all that heat from the coolant that flowed into the HC.
Again it wont make the AC get colder then its lowest temperature it will just help it get there much faster.
The only downside is in the winter I will need to hook it back up my wife doesnt like to be cold and get those nips standing up like Mt Everest :)

The post above from forum member Q8 6.2 gave me the idea in another thread as he had also did this.

Also for the record I live in AZ so its one of the hottest climates around.

Domsz06
07-26-11, 03:33 PM
Correct the heat from the coolant is still sitting in the heater core area when you shut the car off and it heats that whole area up(by the evaporator). So when you start the AC again it has to cool all that heat from the coolant that flowed into the HC.
Again it wont make the AC get colder then its lowest temperature it will just help it get there much faster.
The only downside is in the winter I will need to hook it back up my wife doesnt like to be cold and get those nips standing up like Mt Everest :)

The post above from forum member Q8 6.2 gave me the idea in another thread as he had also did this.

Also for the record I live in AZ so its one of the hottest climates around.

Yeah I remember him talking about it. Again I've never noticed this issue when I'm out doing errands, but IDK. I really don't seem to drive in lots of all sun, seems I"m always parked in a garage. Yeah your for sure in one of the hotter climates then houston.

Domsz06
07-26-11, 03:35 PM
This thred is un accurate you can't give opinion of the Ac effectivenes with out saying what environment you are in... in cool areas the ac will always be ice cold..

this car compared to others in my invionment has the worst god dam Ac.

I agree with you and while houston isn't quite as hot as you we do hit many 110+ days so i'd still say it gets hot here and to date I have not had this issue you guys are all talking about. However I also do not run lots of errands in the heat of the dayso maybe that's why.

Q8 6.2
07-26-11, 06:59 PM
the problem with this car Ac it was designed for the v6 then they put a big V8 and didnt do a good job with the Ac routings... I think the motor trans and ac cooling on this car is under sized and needs to be lil bigger From the factory.

After I added a heat exchanger it's even worse with the whole lower grill blocked the Ac the radiator and even the trans have all shot up.so I think people who complain about the Ac have all got heat exchangers :)

JFJr
07-26-11, 07:14 PM
Well, no, it doesn't blow my glasses off after sitting idle in the hot sun for a few hours, but, magically, it cools the car in a few minutes, and Florida has one of the hottest climates on the planet. The V1 would go to max fan speed, under the same circumstances, but the V2 doesn't, and my car is black/black, but the cooled Recaro seats are to die for.

fmatiyat
07-26-11, 11:07 PM
Every once in a while it seems as if mine blows warm for a lil longer than normal ......gets me ???
It happens with me too at times, especially after short stops where I turn off the car and come back to it within an hour or so. Takes time for the cold air to kick in. It happened 3 times within 2 months!

fmatiyat
07-26-11, 11:18 PM

But how to bypass the heater core? :)

Q8 6.2
07-27-11, 04:14 PM
But how to bypass the heater core? :)

You can do what I did to permanently stop hot water from entering passenger compartment remove the two heater hoses and connect them together making a loop in the engine.. Or you culd just install a valve on one hose open it in winter.

Domsz06
07-27-11, 04:22 PM
the problem with this car Ac it was designed for the v6 then they put a big V8 and didnt do a good job with the Ac routings... I think the motor trans and ac cooling on this car is under sized and needs to be lil bigger From the factory.

After I added a heat exchanger it's even worse with the whole lower grill blocked the Ac the radiator and even the trans have all shot up.so I think people who complain about the Ac have all got heat exchangers :)

I have a HX and mine is cold, :confused:

Q8 6.2
07-28-11, 05:58 AM
I have a HX and mine is cold, :confused:

Oh no don't get me wrong my Ac is cold at night and freeway driving only in the day stop and go traffic it's warm.and cuts out all the time

Domsz06
07-28-11, 09:20 AM
Oh no don't get me wrong my Ac is cold at night and freeway driving only in the day stop and go traffic it's warm.and cuts out all the time

I see. I guess I'm lucky. mine is still ice cold after a few min in any weather I have driven so far and any traffic pattern.

CTSVeee
07-28-11, 04:40 PM
I live in South Florida where it is above 88 degrees for about 7 months per year. My white V sits out in the center of the parking lot for 9+ hours per day in the very hot sub-tropical Florida sunshine. Even with my dark tint the interior is quite hot when I first sit inside as the sun shines directly overhead and then hits the entire driver's side as it heads towards the horizon. However, within seconds of starting the car up at 5 pm (usually 92 degrees or so) it cools off quite nicely. I've never had a problem.

I've never had a problem with doing multiple short trips and experiencing decreased A/C performance when parked for 20 minutes.

The A/C in this car matches right up with my Corvette, which had a lot less interior to cool.

baabootoo
07-29-11, 01:25 AM
You can do what I did to permanently stop hot water from entering passenger compartment remove the two heater hoses and connect them together making a loop in the engine.. Or you culd just install a valve on one hose open it in winter.

Should people really have to jerry rig like this on anew car though???????

Q8 6.2
07-29-11, 12:11 PM
Don't get me wrong I love the ac in my v now My car has an ice cold Ac now it blows ice cold immediately the problem is the Ac heat exchanger is very small in heavy traffic the compressor heats up cuts off to protect it then it's start to blow lil cold not ice cold it's in the tune.

To get it ice cold I had to cut hot water hoses from firewall and I tuned the fans to run at 100% all the time someone also told me to wrap all the ac cold pipes with Ac insulating tape I will do that soon..

JFJr
08-14-11, 08:55 PM
i think these cars have probably the worst A/C system of any car i've ever owned.Wow! I didn't know ice road truckers' vehicles were valid comparisons! Mine seems to handle the hellish Florida climate fine.

Mr.MPH
08-15-11, 09:16 AM
I have had mine at the dealer twice, dealer cant find anything wrong.
Mine works fine unless heat soaked and outside ambient temps over 100+.
I think the interior electronics wig out at the high interior temps.
I have been cracking my windows and opening the moon roof when I park and I am not seeing the issue as often.

This topic should not be on a Cadillac forum!!!! I AM PISSED AT CADILLAC!!!!!!

RogersV
08-15-11, 02:15 PM
Wow! Mine seems to handle the hellish Florida climate fine.
Same here, works great, no complaints.

shade
08-15-11, 03:02 PM
I have had mine at the dealer twice, dealer cant find anything wrong.
Mine works fine unless heat soaked and outside ambient temps over 100+.
I think the interior electronics wig out at the high interior temps.
I have been cracking my windows and opening the moon roof when I park and I am not seeing the issue as often.

This topic should not be on a Cadillac forum!!!! I AM PISSED AT CADILLAC!!!!!!

While its heat soaked is key - the hot radiator fluid runs through the heat core compartment on the inside of the car. This is for the dual climate control system.
If you bypass the heater core by looping the lines together outside the firewall this problem goes away. Leaving it like it is from factory makes your AC always have to work harder and overcome the heat from the coolant.
I already bypassed mine and while it will never get colder than 43*....it doesn't get hotter after stop and go traffic, powering the car off for a few minutes then driving again, etc.
In the winter when I want to use the heat again I will put the loop back.

cdog533
08-15-11, 03:25 PM
Dude, you don't have to bypass the heater core to get the A/C to work. I would call that pretty extreme unless you live in an area where you will never need heat again (Hawaii maybe).

I think most people are getting their systems to work fine. Those that have issues perhaps need additional coolant or have a compressor malfunction. My 2010 will go from 100+ degrees (in sun in parking lot) to 75 in a minute or two with the A/C on full blast.

shade
08-15-11, 06:56 PM
Dude, you don't have to bypass the heater core to get the A/C to work. I would call that pretty extreme unless you live in an area where you will never need heat again (Hawaii maybe).

I think most people are getting their systems to work fine. Those that have issues perhaps need additional coolant or have a compressor malfunction. My 2010 will go from 100+ degrees (in sun in parking lot) to 75 in a minute or two with the A/C on full blast.

I live in AZ so its pretty extreme. Its also easy to swap it back when the cooler weather comes around.

V-Love
08-15-11, 07:17 PM
^^^ Prolly what FlyingV has. It must be a safety control keeping the compressor off(thermal overload in compressor). Could easily be a pressure switch. Whatever it is, its keeping the compressor off until certain conditions are met. If it starts to work at highway speeds, my opinion without performing diagnostics, its the pressure control. Internal overload on the compressor shouldn't be a problem at initial start up. Even if its baking in the hot sun. The new refrigerants run much higher pressures. Check for the proper charge, then the pressure control operation to make sure it drops out and kicks on at the right pressures, then the thermal overload on compressor.

baabootoo
08-15-11, 07:47 PM
Take it to a good AC shop and bring the estimate to Cadi then.