: interested in getting a CTS-V

simgolfer
07-23-11, 01:48 PM
I am a newbie to this forum and the Cadillac in general. I am interested in getting a CTS-V as my next vehicle but have some concerns that I hope someone can address for me.

1) Does the CTS-V come with the dreaded 1-4 skip shift like the Corvette?

2) What type of real world gas mileage are owners getting? My commute is not too long (7 miles one way) but mostly city streets so I typically am on the low end of MPG estimates in my prior vehicles.

3) Although Cadillac has a maintenance program now, are there issues with CTS-V's that I should be aware of that could make the car spend too much time at the dealer and not on the road with me? So far, I have read about differential issues.

Thanks for the advice.

muohio
07-23-11, 02:24 PM
The V does have the skip shift, but it's near impossible to trigger. The Vette gearing allows the rpms to build slower causing the chance of skip shift to occur. In 5 months, I've yet to see the skip light come on while I would trigger it once a day in my GTO and maybe once a week in the Grand Sport Vette.

My commute is 15 miles with half being in Atlanta city traffic. I average around 14-15 mpg consistently.

Nothing major that I'm aware of as most of the components have been perfected over the years. The LSx engines are solid, the CTS has had 4 years on the platform, the suspension and rear end of beefy.

MReiland
07-23-11, 03:03 PM
Rear diff issues are the previous generation V's

smackdownCTSV
07-23-11, 03:34 PM
Just get it.

Cub Cadet
07-23-11, 04:12 PM
1.) No skip shift feature that I have ever felt on my 6spd.
2.) In my 5.3 mile commute (one way in the city), I average 19mpg. When I get out on the freeway, I am up to 24mpg.
3.) Issues... I have had none. No isolator noise, no wheel click, no noises from my ultraview roof. Actually, the car has never been back to the dealer for anything, and I am picky about things and love using my warranty. However, no trips back for me. I love my 6spd manual car and love my standard seats :)

deckofficer
07-23-11, 04:13 PM
For the weight of 4300 lbs, it does move pretty good. It is slow in comparision to my Track-T, but so much more refined and its cornering is VERY good and DOESN'T have a stiff, harsh ride. IMHO, a very well engineered car.

jzchen
07-24-11, 08:10 AM
Get the wagon if you want more space/have a family. I wanted one but wasn't aware they were going to make one at the time. In fact I almost dropped the $1k deposit I made on the V sedan for a 3.6L DI wagon...

brlong23
07-24-11, 09:34 AM
If you're buying a V, your MPG shouldn't be a determining factor...IMO.

Domsz06
07-24-11, 10:59 AM
the car rocks get it, but if your worried about mpg well then....

You buy this car for a fast sedan, wagon, or coupe. It's luck of the draw with issues. I have an 09 and have had none of the dreaded issues people talk about.

There is a nice white one for sale in the classifieds, decent price too....

David Nicholas
07-24-11, 06:09 PM
I have a 2010 sedan and it has had no issues at all outside of the front wheels clicking, which is an easy fix I did myself. The car has never been back to the dealer since I drove it out of the showroom.
Of course, I avoided some of the issues that cause some of the nuisance complaints you've read here. I didn't like the Recaro seats so I don't have problems with aches, pains, creaks, or rocking.
I bought the automatic so I have full use of all gears any time I want, and avoided all of the complaints about the manual.
I also opted out of the moonroof. To me, a full-view moonroof does not belong in a car where chassis-stiffness is key to performance, (and you've probably read a few nagging complaints about them also.)
I have had no noises from the supercharger, no differential problems, no toe-rods loosening, no AC problems, etc. Car's been perfect.

Remember you tend only to read about the problems. GM has sold a lot of these cars and all-in-all, they seem to be pretty good.

As far as gas mileage, it has its good and bad features. The bad is, as you've read, in city driving 14 - 17 is about as good as you can do. The good is, that's about as bad as you can do also. The engine does not seem to suffer fuel consumption even if you're a rather agressive driver, (drag racing excluded, of course!)

Mike02z
07-24-11, 07:29 PM
I am a newbie to this forum and the Cadillac in general. I am interested in getting a CTS-V as my next vehicle but have some concerns that I hope someone can address for me.

1) Does the CTS-V come with the dreaded 1-4 skip shift like the Corvette?

2) What type of real world gas mileage are owners getting? My commute is not too long (7 miles one way) but mostly city streets so I typically am on the low end of MPG estimates in my prior vehicles.

3) Although Cadillac has a maintenance program now, are there issues with CTS-V's that I should be aware of that could make the car spend too much time at the dealer and not on the road with me? So far, I have read about differential issues.

Thanks for the advice.

Yes, it comes with the skip shift. Having had 3 other cars with this, the V's is the least noticeable. Every once and a while I will hit it but only if I'm driving like the grandma. Not even worth getting a skip shift module in my opinion. If I ever got it tuned I would have it tuned out.

I average about 17 mpg but 90% of my driving is highway doing 65 mph. I recently averaged 22 mpg over 500 miles going from my home to Albany, NY and back. I imagine if I drove more city I would see 14-15mpg. I will get into it once and a while but am certainly no boy racer.

I have heard about the clicking wheels issue but so far my 11 sedan does not have this issue. I have read about issues with the rear not having enough fluid from the factory and a few "my S/C sounds like it has marbles in it". The only other complaint I hear is about the Ultraview sunroof leaking. When I purchased mine the molding around the sunroof stuck up a little. The dealer fixed it and I have been through a few big storms and no leaks so far.

As someone else mentioned, you will typical read more negatives things than positive on a forum like this. Very few will start threads talking about how they have no no problems with their V's. I just try and keep that in mind when I'm reading about some of the issues people complain about. I'm not saying they are not legitimate issues, just people tend to post when they have a negative experience faster then when they have a positive one.

simgolfer
07-24-11, 11:06 PM
Thanks to everyone for a bunch of helpful replies. Fortuitously, spoke to a friend today who I had not seen or heard from in months and ends up he drove the CTS-V recently and loved it. Seems my mind is made up. I think a CTS-V wagon with manual transmission is the way to go. Just need to get past the moratorium I set up with my wife (can't change cars except every 2 years.. only a few months left!).

Caddy Wagon
07-25-11, 12:07 AM
...I bought the automatic so I have full use of all gears any time I want, and avoided all of the complaints about the manual...

I don't understand this one...what complaints about the manual? I have full use of all gears any time I want in the manual, I just shift it into the gear I want. :)

deckofficer
07-25-11, 05:44 AM
I bought the automatic so I have full use of all gears any time I want, and avoided all of the complaints about the manual.
!)

Yeah, I have a question too, does the automatic allow you to stay, say in 4th gear at 1800 rpms if you floor it, or will it downshift? The engine has some nice torque, but if the auto won't let you be full throttle in a higher gear at 1800 rpms you'll never get to feel it, then I would say you don't have much control over the auto's decision making for you.

smackdownCTSV
07-25-11, 09:33 AM
Yeah, I have a question too, does the automatic allow you to stay, say in 4th gear at 1800 rpms if you floor it, or will it downshift? The engine has some nice torque, but if the auto won't let you be full throttle in a higher gear at 1800 rpms you'll never get to feel it, then I would say you don't have much control over the auto's decision making for you.

The tranny is a little on the slow side, so I paddle shift down.

JFJr
07-25-11, 12:17 PM
Thanks to everyone for a bunch of helpful replies. Fortuitously, spoke to a friend today who I had not seen or heard from in months and ends up he drove the CTS-V recently and loved it. Seems my mind is made up. I think a CTS-V wagon with manual transmission is the way to go. Just need to get past the moratorium I set up with my wife (can't change cars except every 2 years.. only a few months left!).Remind her of the safety features such as better brakes, drivetrain and handling than a normal car. That should get you over the top. :lildevil:

RLJ676
07-25-11, 09:43 PM
Best all around car I've ever had.

I have an auto and get 14 on a 10 mile each way commute, mostly city. Other than mileage no real complaints, none of the "big issues" a few have posted.

Remember that if you have a problem w/ a car, you google the forum for that car to complain/look for answers and this shows up, meaning we probably see nearly every problem out of the 10K or so of these sold so far.. So as noted the problems that are seen here probably have a real IPTV (incidents per thousand vehicles) of like 2, which means the odds are tiny.