: Didn't plan to, but pulled the trigger tonight

deckofficer
07-23-11, 02:29 AM
It was dark when I brought it home tonight, so no pictures. Hadn't even planned on buying it today. I wanted to order a 2012 so I could get the interior that I wanted, but the dealership without applying any pressure did have some quiet incentives to meet certain sales figures for the month. And when less than 1 in 10 buy a stick, they figured I was their best hope of moving the V with the stick. Kelly Blue Book says for this car, MSRP is only a bit more than $4000.00 above invoice. The car stickered $70,285.00 and they kept coming down in price to convince me not to order a 2012 but to take their stick home. When they returned with $65,300.00, they knew they got my attention, so they went one step further and offered 0.0% for 36 months, deal done. Since I had no intention on buying tonight, I didn't even have my checkbook, but they had no problem with me using my VISA for $18,000.00 down. I will return to the dealer tomorrow with a check because I hate to see a greedy bank pull 1.75% of that $18K, and the dealer is all for that.

Now on to the performance of a 556 hp Caddy, it has smooth power, but having to propel 4300 lbs, it isn't anywhere near as fast as my Track-T. But to its credit, corners very flat but doesn't have a harsh ride that one would expect in ANY car that corners that good. I crunched some numbers, and for the Caddy to have the same power to weight ratio as the T, it would require 1,075 hp. Gave it one full throttle blast in 3rd up to 5000, and it CAN move all that mass at a decent clip.

alq80
07-23-11, 03:52 AM
congratulations! what color and options did you get? the car is definitely a beast

deckofficer
07-23-11, 06:38 AM
Red, sunroof, coupe, Recaro, 6 speed manual, midnight sapele wood trim package, sueded steering wheel and shifter, and of course the option I could do without, $1300.00 gas guzzler tax.

Bowtye8
07-23-11, 07:10 AM
Nice ride and a grat dela for a new ride! Congrats and enjoy you new V!!

Dennis

alq80
07-23-11, 07:22 AM
congrats again. the recaros and 6mt really make the car! have fun be safe

smackdownCTSV
07-23-11, 11:27 AM
1.75% is a pretty good interest rate for a credit card, but if you have the cash, might as well cut them a check.

jj0822
07-23-11, 11:41 AM
I've been lurking for awhile here. I think its the car in Dublin that you purchased correct? If so, did you happen to check out the used 2011 6MT Wagon they had there? I've been thinking about driving up to test drive it, but wondering what shape its in coming from MI. Congrats on the car!

GM-4-LIFE
07-23-11, 11:48 AM
Congrats on your purchase! Give it a few thousand miles to open up. The V doesn't feel that crazy fast when it's new, but once you get a few thousand miles on it, it will feel much faster. Right now, the engine is tight.

deckofficer
07-23-11, 12:15 PM
1.75% is a pretty good interest rate for a credit card, but if you have the cash, might as well cut them a check.

No, 1.75% is what the card would charge the dealer. I have the typical 12 % rate but am heading down today to drop off a trade in and write the down payment check.

deckofficer
07-23-11, 12:17 PM
This was NOT a dealer swap, but was at the Sacramento dealer's lot. 134 miles on the clock for the start of the test drive, delivery mileage at purchase 155 miles. Now 208.

deckofficer
07-23-11, 12:19 PM
Congrats on your purchase! Give it a few thousand miles to open up. The V doesn't feel that crazy fast when it's new, but once you get a few thousand miles on it, it will feel much faster. Right now, the engine is tight.

I know it will get a bit better, but I'm comparing it to a car that if the Caddy matched the power to weight ratio would need 1,075 hp, so I am a bit jaded.

smackdownCTSV
07-23-11, 01:19 PM
No, 1.75% is what the card would charge the dealer. I have the typical 12 % rate but am heading down today to drop off a trade in and write the down payment check.

1.75% is pretty low. Probably low because of all the volume they do. It's usually 2%-3%. But WTF do you care unless the dealer is giving you half of it?

deckofficer
07-23-11, 04:17 PM
No, but I would rather the dealer get it than some greedy assed bank.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/deckofficer/CTS-V/DSC004571014x760.jpghttp://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/deckofficer/CTS-V/DSC004581014x760.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/deckofficer/CTS-V/DSC004591014x760.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/deckofficer/CTS-V/DSC004601014x760.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/deckofficer/CTS-V/DSC004611014x760.jpg

deckofficer
07-23-11, 04:33 PM
1.75% is pretty low. Probably low because of all the volume they do. It's usually 2%-3%. But WTF do you care unless the dealer is giving you half of it?

The rate is a sliding scale tied to the amount of the purchase. Small purchase amounts can be as high as 6%. I arrived in Northern Yukon Territories for consulting work and a new Excursion was to be waiting for me to use. Prior to my arrival, some kids got a D8 fired up and proceeded to turn that Ford 4X4 into a wheel chock. I went to a dealer and bought a 1 year old 4X4 Suburban and charged it to my VISA, and at that time for that amount, it was 1%.

On the Caddy, it is financed for 3 years at 0.0%, so I just put down $18,000.00, but since I didn't intend to buy last night, didn't have my check book and the dealer was not set up for wire transfer, so just put it on the card, and today saved the dealer $315.00 by returning and writing him a check.

ecorpuz12
07-23-11, 10:48 PM
i was in the same boat as you a few yrs ago...wasn't planning on buying but 72mos @ 0%+ interest + invoice price was too good to pass up. congrats on the ride, enjoy it!

deckofficer
07-23-11, 11:20 PM
The deals that are being made on such a great car, that is NOT like Detroit and their dealers with the old "dealer packs" and mark ups on the good cars. What gives?

Jay Sheppard
07-24-11, 01:26 AM
i was in the same boat as you a few yrs ago...wasn't planning on buying but 72mos @ 0%+ interest + invoice price was too good to pass up. congrats on the ride, enjoy it!

wow.. WTF.. how did you get this deal?

smackdownCTSV
07-24-11, 10:23 AM
Invoice dealers aren't hard to find and Cadillac/GM offered the 0% APR last summer too. Should happen next month too.

elevated
07-24-11, 01:07 PM
GM is offering 0% right now, up to 60 months. Any specific reason why you chose 36 months? Since its interest free money, I probably would have chosen 60 even I only needed 36.

AMRAAM4
07-24-11, 02:10 PM
^^ yep, 0% up to 60 now, and $65,xxx is close to invoice. Plus, I know there is $2000 on top of that for Employee vehicle allowance so perhaps they pulled that out from somewhere too.

Last year at this time I had a deal on the table for a $70k MSRP at GMS of roughly $66k, plus $2500 employee vehicle allowance ($63,500), plus 0% for 72. Pickins were slim in the northeast near this time and the dealer killed the deal by getting rude and obnoxious when I wanted to work out a way to get the polished wheels. I just couldn't buy after the way they acted, and then the well dried up on cars meeting my desire.

This year, GM definitely picked up production I see, or they haven't been selling, don't know haven't been following it. But I know there are a ton of V's on lots within a 150 mile radius of northern MD/DE area compared to last year. I currently have the new 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 on order (ordered 3rd day available), but rumors of the pricing and the lack of production that was suppose to start last week are causing me to consider going back to getting a V. If rumors are correct, my new Jeep SRT8 is going to MSRP at $61k !!!! (P.S. I don't need a SUV)

deckofficer
07-24-11, 08:52 PM
Dealer only offered 36 months. I agree with the "free money" aspect, and would have taken 60 months if offered, as the only reason I financed is I've been looking for a long time for a GT40, and as you know, a purchase like that is a cash buy.

ItsJustMyCaddy
07-24-11, 09:32 PM
The rate is a sliding scale tied to the amount of the purchase.

Actually, it depends on the pricing that the dealership has with their CC provider. You are refering to a tiered pricing program. "Interchange pricing" is becoming much more popular, where there is just a flat mark-up on the transaction amount (likely anywhere from 7-50 basis points), in addition to a fee per transaction. Either way, you are definitely doing the dealership a favor. Congratulations!!

deckofficer
07-24-11, 10:23 PM
I would have taken the car home and booked a flight with the cc points, but i know what its like to pay cc fee's and would appreciate a customer returning with a check.

Before I retired, I both offered my customers a better cash deal, and when purchasing myself would offer to split the savings of fees 50/50 for me buying with cash. As I said earlier, "I'm not a fan of greedy ***** banks".

ecorpuz12
07-24-11, 10:54 PM
wow.. WTF.. how did you get this deal?

that was what GM was offering at the time. had to finance through GMAC to get the 72mos 0%.

deckofficer
07-24-11, 11:24 PM
I wish more people had your beliefs

What, the belief of " I hate greedy banks"? I think in the last two years a lot of folks feel that way, but the banks don't care.

smackdownCTSV
07-25-11, 09:30 AM
that was what GM was offering at the time. had to finance through GMAC to get the 72mos 0%.

You mean Ally?

ecorpuz12
07-25-11, 10:40 AM
You mean Ally?

haha yeah....i'm still in denial

deckofficer
07-26-11, 03:12 PM
Gmac, pre Ally, offered the best interest rates on your savings than brick and mortar banks. Ally did also, but has dropped to 1%. Hard to complain against Ally, as that 1% is still 10 times greater than my brick and mortar bank. On a different note, I'm sure looking forward to driving my new V, but just haven't had the time. Drove it once back to the dealer to drop of my down payment check and cancel the VISA charge and that was fun. Still have the original gas, but in a week it hasn't seen the light of day.