: Paint / Dye vinyl top

lincolncadillac
07-22-11, 11:07 PM
Iam thinking about changing the color of my top from a light grey to a dark grey or charcoal.

Any body sucessfully accomplished this on your own?

What products did you use?

jayoldschool
07-23-11, 12:04 AM
SEM makes a great dye for this exact purpose. I have some in white in my garage.

lincolncadillac
07-23-11, 07:26 AM
SEM makes a great dye for this exact purpose. I have some in white in my garage.

Looks like a good product. Have you used it yet?

lincolncadillac
07-23-11, 07:27 AM
Anybody got input on the duplicolor vinyl & fabric spray?

outsider
07-23-11, 01:01 PM
I'm using the duplicolor vinyl and fabric spray right now on my 69's interior and I have to say it is not perfect. It comes out much harder and feels almost crusty when it dries.

Barrister_07101
07-29-11, 09:38 AM
I used duplicolor on my black vinyl after trying others ... and it was perfect. Usually things look good then five or six washes later and the paint is showing signs of wear/coming off. But not the duplicolor so far.

outsider
07-29-11, 09:42 AM
I also want to take back my complaint about the duplicolor stuff...after a few days of drying the hard feeling went away. maybe it just needs that time to sink into the vinyl

robb257731
08-02-11, 08:59 AM
My 92 started off with Sapphire Mist paint and a blue top. At some point in it's life it was painted grey and the top was somehow dyed grey...it was soft and supple, but it didn't look right, and in spots the blue was showing through, but who knows how long ago it had been dyed. The dye had a hard time on the hard surface vinyl surrounding the window on the back door...that was where the blue came through the most.