: Proud new owner of an STS

rdub1982
07-22-11, 08:53 PM
Hi guys,

I just purchased a 2009 White Diamond Cadillac STS V6 Navigation with 9700 miles. I got a smoking deal on the car because the driver side door had been repainted. I paid $19500 for the car and it has a clear title and no accidents on the carfax. I noticed the paint doesn't match exactly (it is very close). I also noticed that the passenger side front corner panel looks to have been repainted as well (you can only see it in certain lighting). There is no damage underneath. The dealer told me that an older couple traded it in for a Mercedes. The car drives great and the interior is immaculate! I called a local Cadillac dealer and they told me in order to get it to match, they needed to blend the adjacent panels and they would do the driver door and adjacent panels for $874. I know this paint color is extremely hard to match, so my question is, since I have to have work done on both sides of the car now, should I have the whole car repainted? How much would this cost? Or should I have them blend the driver door and passenger front corner panel seperately?

ddalder
07-22-11, 11:50 PM
There is nothing like factory paint. I would never get an entire paint job until absolutely necessary. They just can't bake the finish the way they do in the factory. Have the panels blended.

rdub1982
07-23-11, 12:04 AM
I'm leaning that way...my only concern is matching the white diamond tricoat paint. Can it be matched? Has anyone had any experience with this color?

ddalder
07-23-11, 12:55 AM
I have no experience with that colour, however I have had experience with various body shops. If you find someone reputable, you'll likely have good success.

When I picked a shop after a snow plow grazed the side of my other car, I visited a few (based on known reputation or recommendation from others), asked for some quotations and got a "first impression". Of the ones that didn't immediately scare me, I asked the manager for a tour of the facility. I looked at cleanliness, organization, equipment/technology and environmental responsibility. I asked for a description of how they handle cars from start to finish. I viewed some of their work in progress and finished vehicles waiting to be picked up. I also asked about years in business, warranty, how far ahead they were booking and whether appointments were required for estimates. I also checked with the Better Business Bureau for current or past complaints. I'm very upfront that my expectations will be substantially higher than the vast majority of their clients. I like to ensure there is no misunderstanding right from word one.

Shops that don't require appointments for estimates and don't know me but can "get the car in right away" do not see my business. The manager of the shop I selected spent about one and one half hours with me. Most will not put forward this type of time committment to someone "just looking for a shop". This, along with everything else I saw spoke volumes about how they do business. They aren't inexpensive by any means, but I believe (as a rule) you get what you pay for. In my case I want an excellent balance of quality and service. I want to develop working relationships and know where I can take my future business without concern. I've been there for a few items now and I've never been let down. All the front office staff know me by name and we've developed a mutual respect for each other.

Bad body work is one of those things you see everytime you get into your car. If it's not done well you're constantly reminded. Do your homework and you'll be pleased.

EChas3
07-27-11, 11:02 PM
^^^ Good advice, as usual DD.

This is why I prefer to say, "You always pay for what you get." The old cliche fails to encompass all the fakes and cheats that demand top dollar but produce poor results.

rdub1982
08-09-11, 10:11 AM
I got my car back yesterday:bouncy: It looks amazing. I took it to the local Cadillac dealer in Scottsdale and their painter did an awesome job of matching and blending the white diamond paint! You can not even tell it has been painted. I am in love with my new STS :cool2:

Angus Young
08-09-11, 03:20 PM
If this is your first STS you might want to pick up a code reader, Cadillac should have supplied all STS owners with one!