: 2008 STS4 "Shit to Park" light on but car is in park?

adpelletter
07-22-11, 06:55 PM
What is going on here? I don't have time to sit around play with buttons when I need to get out..

Can anybody help with a fix? Thanks

ddalder
07-22-11, 07:09 PM
The most likely cause is the shift control linkage requires adjustment. You need to be able to get under the vehicle to do this.

adpelletter
07-22-11, 07:16 PM
Does this need to be done at the dealership?

ddalder
07-22-11, 07:21 PM
No, any shop should be able to do this, the big part is being able to hoist the vehicle for proper access. There are some other possible causes which can be much more expensive and involved, but this is by far the best starting point and what is recommended as the first step in the factory service manual.

adpelletter
07-22-11, 07:24 PM
Thanks

chazglenn3
07-23-11, 10:19 AM
Wow...I sure hope my car never asks me to shit to park...sounds nasty! :rofl:

Snts545
07-23-11, 02:22 PM
there are two screws in your fuse box under the hood, make sure those are tight first.......i went through hell trying to fix that exact thing on mine and it turned out being those stupid screws

MacMuse
07-23-11, 03:53 PM
For my recent flurry of Shift to Park message the dealer replaced the Shift Control Assembly in the center console. Haven't seen the message since.

porkfarm
07-27-11, 08:43 AM
For my recent flurry of Shift to Park message the dealer replaced the Shift Control Assembly in the center console. Haven't seen the message since.

Same here on 2007 V6 AWD

CHICADDY
08-21-11, 10:01 PM
I currently have this same problem on my 2010 SRX... will be taking it in to the dealer soon. Sometimes I have to restart the car and re-shift into park before I can get out of the car.

Cadjiek
08-22-11, 03:49 PM
Mine has been replaced twice within the 20,000 miles I have owned the car. Even after filling the flux capacitor. Someone on this forum also suggested the disconfigurator. It was neither. Go with the Shift Control Assembly.

Texas Veteran
01-20-12, 06:23 PM
Just joined the Forum so I hope my post is not too late and someone finds some benefit out of it. My 2008 STS had the same issue covered under warranty I didnít hesitate to take it in. The description of service and parts paperwork stated that (Vehicle inspection found shifter would not go into park, inspected shift shaft adjustment and found to be slightly adjusted and test drove vehicle and found at times it would still not go into park, removed shift lever control and found micro switch on shift lever not making proper contact). The report further adds that the floor shift control assembly was replaced. It was serviced at a Chevrolet dealer since it about 50 miles closer than the nearest Cadillac dealer. Everything seems to work properly now since the service. The "shift to park" message and the beeping of the vehicle were annoying, had to mess with the gears until park would engage sometimes for several minutes; however, more importantly I think itís a safety issue that could easily turn dangerous if the vehicle is rested on an inclined surface because park does not engage correctly. I also spoke to two STS owners at a local car show with the same issue, I wonder what it will take before GM makes it a recall. So far it seems this specific issue has a high percentage amongst STS owners.

Thanks for posting and best wishes.

----------

Also if anyone has this issue after your warranty expires, we can all file paperwork to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. (check owner's manual on reporting safety defects to US government). In order to initiate a fair recall to replace and service the shift control assembly at no cost..