: SRX memory seats

inspectorudy
07-22-11, 06:21 PM
I have a 2011 SRX and it came with memory seats. When I open the driver's door the seat slides back to the full rearward position which is normal. But when I open the door to get in with the seat back it starts to come forward BEFORE I can get in. Is this normal or is it a defect? From an engineering point of view it makes no sense.

larryk
07-23-11, 12:52 AM
You are correct, it makes no sense, but that is the way it is designed.
Don`t get me started on the memory seats, mine has to go in for the 6th time for repair, software updates for the seats.

rervf23
07-23-11, 12:20 PM
You are indeed correct. Why have the seat move forward before you enter the auto. On my wife's Mountaineer, the seat does not come forward until the key is inserted in the ignition. It would make more sense to have the seat move forward upon pressing the start button.

But, we also have the option of setting the remote seat buttons, then hitting either 1 or 2 when we are ready for the seat to move forward.

Bob

larryk
07-23-11, 05:36 PM
But, we also have the option of setting the remote seat buttons, then hitting either 1 or 2 when we are ready for the seat to move forward.

Bob
That is providing that one of your memory seat problems does not include the buttons forgetting their settings :annoyed:
I was told be the service rep, that there is a "new bezel" for around the memory seat switch on the drivers seat that is supposed to protect the buttons so that the bolster no longer depresses the switches upon exiting the vehicle. He has one on order for me, so we shall see...

inspectorudy
07-24-11, 11:52 AM
This is so blatant of an engineering screw up that I want to pursue it to the GM engineering level. Does anyone know how to contact the tech support at GM? I thought there were people who actually tested these cars BEFORE they went into production. All they would need to do would be to make the seat back/forward movement operate with the open/close door switch but use the door closed position as the forward motion upon the next entry. I know every auto maker has its own set of problems but this one needed scrutiny of only one person at the test lab. I just bought a Sony Walkman MP3 player and the on/off button works just the opposite of every other unit on the market. You have to HOLD the button to turn it off but only lightly touch it to turn it on. This means that if it is in your pocket it will come on by itself and be playing for as long as you do not notice it. Obviously it should work the same way for both on and off. But here is Sony making a stupid mistake like this. I am glad to hear about the new bezel and will ask my dealer about it. One other question about the SRX and that is, is there any way to remove and clean the two cup holder between the front seats if something sticky is spilled into it? Man oh man, if something like a milkshake or a big latte were spilled into it that little removable rubber floor cover wouldn't do very much to clean it out. I guess I'm getting old but it seems like there is no testing or common sense to what GM does anymore. The outside mirrors are another design for design sake and screw seeing to the rear approach. The center rear view mirror is almost worthless and the two outside mirrors are way too small to be useful. How about doing what all motorhomes with back up cameras do and allow you to turn on the rear view camera even when you are going forwward? It would only require a single button to do it. I'm not whining but making constructive comments since it seems no one at GM ever hears from us common folks. If we all write in and express our ideas maybe they will change their ways.

TheCaptain
07-25-11, 10:18 AM
Mirrors are too small and useless? What do you want, huge bus mirrors? I find the SRX's mirrors are perfect, not a blind spot behind me when adjusted right. And i don't want the big honkin Silverado mirrors hanging off the side of this beautiful unit!

And these mirrors performed just fine pulling a double wide Sea Doo trailer through downtown Winnipeg, and backing up at the lake's boat launch.

Smokin' SRX
07-25-11, 11:24 AM
Firstly, the seats are a mistake. Never heard about the bolster hitting the Memory buttons and screwing up the setting (I'm only 168lbs and bolster does not move enough to hit them I guess) But my 2004 previous, first Gen SRX had a programmable option to have seat move to desired driving position only when ignition key turned ON. I.E...you were already seated! Made lots sense. I have my 2010 programmed to move only when I press/hold the Memory Button. Pain, that a quick press won't do it......

The mirrors in ALL mid-size SUV's (except my "Yukon class' sled) are too small for OPTIMAL safety, IMHO. But I fixed for $5.95 Just added 2 small spot mirrors! Nobody goes unseen now! (see my album for how they look on SRX)

The cup holder is a dumb error that most car brands make. In my previous Buick Enclave, I "pried " the rubber insert out and it just sat above chrome dress ring, when reinserted. Almost same in my Yukon Denali. Works good and makes life easy. But most drivers of Denali's and Enclaves will NOT pry anything out (don't blame them) and suffer the difficult cleaning chore. With the SRX cup holder, I cannot get anything out, without perhaps removing entire center console top piece? I'm determined to try again with a bright light. Terrible design. I've noticed it in many, many brands Don't engineers drink coffee???? LOL

SS

cvettr/cts-v
07-25-11, 07:27 PM
That is providing that one of your memory seat problems does not include the buttons forgetting their settings :annoyed:
I was told be the service rep, that there is a "new bezel" for around the memory seat switch on the drivers seat that is supposed to protect the buttons so that the bolster no longer depresses the switches upon exiting the vehicle. He has one on order for me, so we shall see...

The next time you feel it has forgotten your preset try this... Move the seat a few inches forward and retry the memory # desired. If thet does not work try moving it a little more forward then retry. It seems wierd but someone else posted this little trick and it worked on the next time it seemed to loose the position. Also a side note it seems like it does it worse when driver 1 parks it and locks it then driver 2 drives it parks and locks it then goes back to driver 1. or vice versa. One other trick is everytime I drive my moms SRX before turning it off I use the memory button one let it uncomfortably adjust once it is done turn it off and easy exit feature allows egress and it has never done it again. yes it is a little uncomfortable for a few brief seconds but is a small price to pay to always have it go to her setting when she drives it next. I don't drive it much so the hassle is much smaller for me.

cvettr/cts-v
07-25-11, 07:38 PM
[QUOTE=inspectorudy;2662406]This is so blatant of an engineering screw up that I want to pursue it to the GM engineering level. 1. Does anyone know how to contact the tech support at GM? .
2. How about doing what all motorhomes with back up cameras do and allow you to turn on the rear view camera even when you are going forwward? It would only require a single button to do it.

1. 1-800-458-8006 they can get you there. Also there are a few gm employees that watch this forum in particular thet can report back to GM.
2. I guess it would be nice to have that option although I do not see a need for a rearword camera view while going forward. When going forward I want to see forward more than rearward. I guess it could be effectively used in some lane change situations but the distance perception and video quality is not that accurate to trust for something like that wholely.

inspectorudy
07-25-11, 08:47 PM
The use of the rear view camera in traffic as in bumper to bumper would be helpful to help recognise when some of the nonturn signal users are about to pass you. The center mirror in the SRX is of no use for anything lower than the rear seat headrests or the small space in between them. I added a temp/comp video rearview mirror to my Avalanche that works on back up but also lets you turn it on any time you feel the need. It's already there so why not? I too have added two small convex mirrors to both of the small outside mirrors for lane changing help. If any of you want to do this get the kind that has adjustment once the mirror is stuck to the bigger mirror. The first one I put on showed motly the side of the car and if I adjusted the car mirror then it became turned to far to the outside.

larryk
07-25-11, 09:01 PM
The next time you feel it has forgotten your preset try this... Move the seat a few inches forward and retry the memory # desired...
Oh Ya, that was me... Yes that does work, which of course proves that the memory positions have not been overwritten.

inspectorudy
07-26-11, 05:22 PM
cvetter, I called the phone # you posted and it is the general Cadillac info line. I got an Hispanic woman who spoke marginal English who looked it up in the owner's manual for me. I told her it would NOT be in there but after a 5 minute wait, she told me it wasn't in the manual. I remember GM well from before when I wanted an answer. They haven't changed a thing except management and union bosses pay. As usual customers come last. There has to be an explanation for them to build such a stupid product feature. If any of you GM types are reading this please help me out.

cvettr/cts-v
07-26-11, 07:52 PM
Correct it is the general customer service # sorry I thought they'd be more helpful and give you the proper contact information you seek. Maybe gmjim? i believe that is his name may read this and be able to provide a #.

sube5186
08-03-11, 10:44 PM

LarryK, did this bezel come in yet? Once you get it installed I'd be interested in the description on the work order so I can give it to my Service Manager. I need to get this done too. Thanks!

Sube

larryk
08-04-11, 07:24 PM
I am dropping the car off tomorrow, I. Will post back..

frankrizzo135
08-04-11, 11:09 PM
What is so bad about getting in and riding along in the seat until it reaches the memory point?

Smokin' SRX
08-05-11, 10:41 AM
Hi Frank. If I follow you, I do that myself (press and HOLD Memory button) as I drive away. Can be tricky when pedal moves while foot is on gas/brake, but I know it's coming so no biggie. Maybe that's why u have to HOLD the dang thing as opposed to it being full auto?? Even if the memory works (90% of the time it does) I hate having one hand dedicated , for 3-5 seconds , on getting my seats/ mirrors/pedals into place. At least my window goes down/up with a single touch.........

cvettr/cts-v
08-05-11, 11:44 AM
What is so bad about getting in and riding along in the seat until it reaches the memory point?

It is not the riding along that is an annoyance it is that they would ever think that someone especially short people would want their seat to adjust forward upon pressing unlock and before they get in the seat.

stevec5375
08-05-11, 12:47 PM
It is not the riding along that is an annoyance it is that they would ever think that someone especially short people would want their seat to adjust forward upon pressing unlock and before they get in the seat.

It does seem rather odd that the seat moves forward before you have a chance to get in the car with the seat is still back from when you last got out. The question is, when would the most appropriate time to move the seat forward actually be? You can't do it when you push the start button because that requires you to have your foot on the brake and a short person might not be able to reach the brake when the seat is back.

cvettr/cts-v
08-05-11, 06:23 PM
I see your point but that has not been an issue for her and she is 5'0" so either she is lucky or we have the easy exit set to a good point that she can still touch the brake enough or lastly and I have not checked but maybe once pedals are set maybe they do not retract on easy exit feature?

inspectorudy
10-18-11, 03:02 AM
I took my 2011 in for its first service and asked them to check the auto seat function. They said it was designed that way and there was no "Fix" for it. When I asked them if they had a number of someone in GM that I could talk to to see why a giant car company would design such a bad seat program, they said they would get back to me. I'm not holding my breath. How about the same function that sends the seat back? The door opening or closing? I can't imagine anyone trying to start their car before the door is closed or their seat belt is on. If anyone knows how to talk to GM about this please let me know.

cz9h3d
10-18-11, 02:50 PM
I'll play around with my vehicle tonight to ensure I have this right - but here are the memory seat highlights per the 2011 SRX owners manual.

2 button memory positions (#1, #2). You have to hold the button down to recall a set position.
2 RKE memory positions. These are based on the position of the seat when the vehicle is turned off, and associated with the remote fob being used.

Memory Recall: If this is set to "on" in the personalization settings, the seat will go to the position associated with an individual RKE fob when the vehicle is unlocked (or with keyless access, when you unlock/open the door).

Easy Exit Driver Seat: If set to "on" in the personalization settings, the seat will move rearward when the ignition is turned off.

You will want to ensure that you and your spouse are not mixing up keys - this could drive you crazy if you have different seating positions

It does not appear that there is an "easy entry" mode for the driver seat. It goes to the RKE fob memory position when the door is opened, assuming recall is set to on. It looks like the only option is to have "Easy Exit" set to on, and "Recall" set to off. Then you'll just have to hold the correct memory button down until your seat reaches your set position.

The thing I find strange, even if the bolster deformed to reset a memory button position (i.e. you used easy exit, and reset memory #1 to the easy exist setting), this really shouldn't interfere with the memory recall of a fob position, right? Unless setting this memory just confuses the position in regards to what the RKE memory setting was?

inspectorudy
10-18-11, 08:02 PM
The bottom line is if you have the "Recall" function set to "On" the seat will start forward when you OPEN the door. This means that you either have to try to sit on a moving seat or wait for it to stop at the forward position dictated by the FOB being used. How does something like this ever get out of the engineering department? What was their thinking about making it harder to get in your car? Was it a legal maneuver to prevent injury or unwanted starts? WTF!

Maxdmax
10-21-11, 07:20 AM
When we first got our SRX I noticed the seat moving forward, and after thinking about this for a few minutes I understood their logic completely. This is not a huge car inside and it is doing this to assure my 6' 6" friend does not get in and become compacted like a can of sardines. Think about it, my Wife is 5' 4" tall and my friend is 6 6" tall, if he had gotten in the car for the first time and not understanding where any of the seat controls were and the seat moved forward to fit my Wife he would have had some banged up knees at best. THIS IS A SAFTEY FEATURE and makes a lot of sense. The seat is timed nicely and moves slow enough so you can get in the car and have the convenience of the seat being back. I tested this on him last week. I threw him my Wife's keys and said lets go for a ride. When he opened up the door he saw the seat starting to move forward and of course he waited to see where it would stop. After it stopped he looked down and found the adjustment knob and put it backward far enough to get in. The first thing he said was he got into a friends SUV and started it and almost got crushed before he could find the control on the side and he said he really thought someone was being pretty smart to warn him BEFORE he got in. The feature is not an inconvenience to me and I understand why it works this way.

inspectorudy
10-21-11, 02:36 PM
I can live with that explanation but you would think GM would have the explanation ready for their manuals when printed. Or even the dealers knowing would be a help. The issue would only come up when your car was being driven by someone using a fob that was not programmed for their size. Thanks MM for the explanation.

JimmyH
10-21-11, 05:11 PM
When we first got our SRX I noticed the seat moving forward, and after thinking about this for a few minutes I understood their logic completely. This is not a huge car inside and it is doing this to assure my 6' 6" friend does not get in and become compacted like a can of sardines. Think about it, my Wife is 5' 4" tall and my friend is 6 6" tall, if he had gotten in the car for the first time and not understanding where any of the seat controls were and the seat moved forward to fit my Wife he would have had some banged up knees at best. THIS IS A SAFTEY FEATURE and makes a lot of sense. The seat is timed nicely and moves slow enough so you can get in the car and have the convenience of the seat being back. I tested this on him last week. I threw him my Wife's keys and said lets go for a ride. When he opened up the door he saw the seat starting to move forward and of course he waited to see where it would stop. After it stopped he looked down and found the adjustment knob and put it backward far enough to get in. The first thing he said was he got into a friends SUV and started it and almost got crushed before he could find the control on the side and he said he really thought someone was being pretty smart to warn him BEFORE he got in. The feature is not an inconvenience to me and I understand why it works this way.

makes sense