: 64 Fleetwood - Power Seat Not Working

yabadaba
07-22-11, 05:30 AM
Hi guys, this is my first post here so hello to everyone - my name's David and I'm from the UK.

I've found a 1964 Fleetwood 60 Special that I'm interested in buying and shipping over here, but the owner has informed me that the power bench seat is not working...he says he can hear the motor running, but the seat doesn't actually move. Now, I'd definitely want to get that repaired so was wondering if anyone on here could let me know what the problem might be...is there anything in particular that commonly fails? Just trying to get an idea of how much of a headache this may be and how many $$$ (or in my case ) this may cost to get sorted.

The radio's not working, too, but otherwise the car seems in pretty good condition, especially for the asking price.

csbuckn
07-22-11, 11:48 AM
You may be able to see something moving under the seat. If the motor work then its probably the linkage to the tracks or something. I don't know about your year but there are cables that come from the motor to the gears, they will come off sometimes.

77CDV
07-22-11, 11:23 PM
Expect to spend a few hundred quid to have it fixed no matter what the problem is. Also, there are people who repair/rebuild older car radios. Look for them in Hemmings Motor News or just google them. The 64 Fleetwood interior is one of my favorites, with all that great wood veneer on the dash and door panels. I bet you won't see many (or any) others on the roads in England. If you do buy it, make sure you also buy a factory service manual. It will make trouble shooting a lot easier.

yabadaba
07-23-11, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the replies. I decided to go for it, regardless of the power seat problem - I'll just be anxious to get that fixed as soon as I can. Looks like it will come with a service manual as one of the photos shows a "Cadillac 1964 Shop Manual" laying in the trunk.

77CDV
07-23-11, 12:25 AM
:woohoo: Post pics as soon as you're able. The autoroute will never be the same!

cadillac_al
07-23-11, 09:41 AM
I say the motor working is a good thing. It is probably a cable or a gearbox/actuator (?). When I bought my 78 Seville from a 350 lb guy all the seat actuators here destroyed and disintegrated. It was just basic parts replacement. Show us some pics when you get a chance.

gloverisland
07-24-11, 10:37 PM
the cables on these units are similiar to the speed/odometer cables . They are square on both ends and just pull out.So one may have come out / In oder to check it proper;y you will have to unbolt the seat from the electric seat guide. By the way if you need parts google Classic Caddies " Don Horton" I just received my order from him no problem. If your switch is faulty you can move the seat by placing one of the square ends in the end of a drill and the other in the gear where it came out. You will have to move one slider at a time this way