: I'm a little lazy so please help...

daddie2k3
07-21-11, 10:28 PM
I know the answer to this question is in the owner manual so I'm lazy but I would like to know other people input on the use also

So for the people with FWD SRX how do you access the trailer hitch and what do you have to buy to make it work for a regular motorcycle trailer and is it fairly easy to take it out or cover whatever you have to do to access???

Sorry in advance to the people who think I should just find in manual but when I looked it didnt answer ALL my questions

GMJim
07-22-11, 06:39 AM
Lazy,
A forum is all about people helping people. Very few here, are not willing to help, and suggest the owners manual. But ya know..............
Anyway.
Unless you put a hitch on, the vehicle didn't come with one, or a wiring harness. To access where a hitch should be, there are two thumb screws on the bottom of the access door.
Turn them a half a turn, and remove the door.

this from Captains post of the access door:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-classifieds/cadillac-parts2f-accessories-for-sale/p7803-2010-2011-cadillac-srx-hitch-cover-pn-19172271.html

daddie2k3
07-22-11, 08:49 AM
Thank you so much because I know I see post where people say just check manual but what I did fail to do was you search button haha sorry but thanks and I'm sure this might help somebody else too...

sube5186
07-22-11, 11:16 AM
Not to nitpick, but the thumb screws only come with the "optional" rear fascia cover. The original fascia cover presently attached to your SRX will have two Phillips head screws.

Sube

GMJim
07-22-11, 12:27 PM
Good point, Pickey. lol

sube5186
07-22-11, 01:45 PM
Good point, Pickey. lol

He, he, he. I didn't want him to think he'd gotten gypped when he discovered no thump screws. :D

Sube

daddie2k3
07-22-11, 03:37 PM
Lol I will satisfied with the Phillip screws...thanks everybody

@last
06-12-12, 01:19 PM
Picking up on an old post about this trailer hitch - I’m in the market for a 2012 SRX. I would like to get one with a hitch, but I’m having trouble finding one locally with the combination of trim, color and options I would like. I have a couple of questions about the factory installed Trailering Equipment or having the hitch installed after market.

I cannot find a picture of the factory installed Trailering Equipment. I assumed it is covered. Anyone have a picture?

I saw in an earlier post there was a link to a cover that could be purchased from Cadillac. Is that the same as the cover that would come with the factory installed Trailering Equipment?

I’m thinking I’ll end up getting the SRX I want without the Trailering Equipment and have a hitch installed aftermarket. I saw the hitch advertised by etrailer on this site. Anyone have this hitch installed after market? Any issues?

Thanks

Soon to Be Owner

sube5186
06-12-12, 02:49 PM
On the SRX, trailer hitch installation is really a breeze. There's no cutting, exhaust system removal or modification of any kind. You simply remove the rear fascia door and the two spacer blocks. Then, just secure the hitch via six bolts. Presto, you're done! Please don't waste a few hundred dollars paying for the factory installed hitch. It's a complete waste of money. I installed the Hidden Hitch myself and it went smoothly. The only con I suffered was a crick in my neck from lying on my back during the process. I didn't have a creeper. Installation of the Curt hitch is the same. I opted to get the HH because I've seen at least two reviews of the Curt which stated one of the holes didn't line up and required some modification. Didn't want that hassle. Read the reviews and watch both videos at the link below.

http://www.etrailer.com/p-87573.html?search=1

Sube

@last
06-13-12, 09:33 AM
It doesn't seem that you would save that much - Trailering Equipment as an option is $440. Buying aftermarket the hitch is $140, wiring harness is $65 and the hitch fascia cover is $130. And then the time to install... I wouldn't mind paying the $440 and feeling a little better about the warranty, but most of the ones I find with the trailering option have AWD and plus other options piled on.

@last
06-22-12, 03:08 PM
Well I’ve jumped in – Just took delivery of a 2012 SRX Performance / Gray Flannel Metallic. By the way what marketing nerd thought “Gray Flannel” was a cool name for a color? What about gunmetal or steel.
I could not find an SRX locally with the Trailering Equipment Option. To get it installed by the dealer they wanted $1,400. The sales rep rightfully recommended I have it done at a local shop he’s send others to. He said they’ll do it for about $500.

I looked at the videos on etailer. Installing the hitch looks the be a no brainer, but the wiring harness seems to be a bit of a task. I can work a wrench, but I’m not real good with wires. Anyone have a personnel experience with the wiring harness? I thought I saw one set on instruction where there was a plug on the harness that plugged into a plug on the car, but may have been Gen I SRX instructions.

I’ve only put 40 miles on it so far, but I could not be more pleased with the car.

TheCaptain
06-22-12, 06:48 PM
@last, a simple google search of this forum brought up a few trailering threads including this one, of which I even have pictures of the plug and play electrical four pin connection location (not the actual block, but its a dead ended wire set with a plug in it right near the hitch closeout).

Hitch recommendations (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/220328-trailer-hitch-recommendations-2011-srx.html)

cadmanchris
07-07-12, 11:14 PM
Not sure if this is known, but when we do the dealer installed hitch, it comes with an auxiliary trans cooler also, hence the $1400 price tag.

phunter1
07-08-12, 12:21 PM
As mentioned, installing the hitch is a piece of cake. Took about 20 minutes to put my Curt hitch on. It lined up perfectly. The aftermarket wiring harness is another matter. Connecting into the rear light is fairly easy, but you will need to run a wire to the + terminal on the battery. This means getting under the car, so you'll need to raise the car. At least I needed to. Also, the wiring harness has an electrical box that goes behind the tail light. I have been unable to get my tail light to fit flush with this box behind it. I have had the tail light off several times trying to find a spot for the box so that it does not cause a poor tail light fit. I am thinking about removing the wiring harness an installing the box under the car, but need to figure out a location where it won't get wet.

Phil