: Introduciton

David C
07-21-11, 02:52 PM
Hello,

I am a new user to this forum. Call me Dave.

I stumbled across while investigating some issues I was having with my 1995 Cadillac Eldorado ETC. (Slow speed stalling; Idle Air Control Value corrected the issue)

I have found that most of the members seem to be very knowledgeable and passionate on Cadillac brand and North Star power train. Maybe now that I am a member I can use the N*?

I used to work on cars all the time, and was that guy that everyone asked to help them. That was in the late 80's.

I donít know what I can contribute, but if something jumps out that I may have knowledge, I will certainly chime in.

I have some experience with the CAN systems; I work as an engineer with a major automotive supplier mainly on audio.

I have very limited experience with OBD1, this was using a paper clip to jump cavities in the OBD portal and count the check engine lights.

We would than look them up in the good old Hayes book.

OBD-2, a little experience.

That said, I am sure I will need some guidance in the forums etiquette. So please forgive me of any transgression in my learning curve and let me know if I am causing disruption to what seems to be a very useful site.

First question, can any of the members suggest a compliant scan tool for OBD 1 and OBD 2 that will read on a 1995 Cadillac Eldorado ETC with the higher horsepower N* ? I understand that 1995 is the transition year OBD 1 to 2, and wonder if Cadillac was on the ball or not.

Bro-Ham
07-21-11, 03:01 PM
Welcome Dave! I'm Dave too. You'll find plenty of good people on the forum to give you advice, and you'll be surprised at how you'll be able to help others with the nuggets of information that you have that someone else desperately needs. All part of the fun! :)

David C
07-21-11, 03:13 PM
Help when I can,

Ranger
07-21-11, 03:17 PM
:welcome:

Check out the Technical Archive at the top left of the forum page. You'll find some interesting and useful info there.

Your car has a built in code reader (on board diagnostics). '96 was the transition year so read the DTC sticky and then use the OBDI link to decipher the codes.

OBDI does so much more. You can enter parameters and overrides for diagnostics that OBDII does not have. Dump the Haynes manual and get a FSM by Helm Inc. Ebay is your friend and it is worth it's weight in gold even at the new price.

orconn
07-21-11, 03:24 PM
Welcome to the Forums!

77CDV
07-22-11, 12:52 AM
I am a new user to this forum. Call me Dave.

:welcome:
Better "Dave" than "Ishmael". :lol:

David C
07-22-11, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys, I will investigated the archive as suggested. –Dave-

david31
07-22-11, 11:23 AM
Hi! Welcome to the forum.

Submariner409
07-22-11, 11:38 AM
David C, Hi............. At the top of the Seville/Eldorado and Deville forums thread pages are several "sticky" - permanent position - threads. One of them is "How to pull codes" using your car's built-in code reader/scanner/memory. Study the entire post and then practice. The post also contains links to a Master Index of all code definitions: post any definitions with your codes of interest.

After you study the entire Cadillac Technical Archive up in the black bar ^^^, go down to Discussions, Item Specific and wade through posts of interest in the whole Cadillac Tech Tips forum.