Cadillac Owners Forum banner

68 deville valve cover bolt sequence and torque

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  sheryarsb 
#1 ·
Hi all,

New here and desperate for some help. I need the bolt sequence and torque setting for installing the valve covers. I have both the workshop manual but for some odd reason, it has no information on this. Can anyone please help!!! Thanks

Cheers

#2 ·
I don't think there is one.

It is not under a lot of pressure from the oil.

You just want to snug the bolts, not murder them or the gasket will not work as well.

I would just start with the end bolts, or center bolts. Then go back and forth, corner to corner, on opposite bolts like you would with the intake manifold.

If your cover leakes around the bolts. Take a tapered rod or the like and wack the bolt hole out a bit. That way the bolt will get a better bite.

These flat covers holes need a little flange to them.

#3 ·
Good advice from dirty. A little more:
With the cover off and the mounting flange clean and dry, check the gasket flange for flatness on a flat table. If there are any high spots, knock those down with a hammer and a piece of wood so it is flat. Then, flip it over, and run a bead of RTV around the gasket flange. Do a circle around each bolt holt. Then, glue you gasket on to the cover. Leave it over night to dry. Install on the head with no RTV between the gasket and the head. Also, don't use cork gaskets. Get the expensive rubber ones with the metal cores.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.