Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Someone used my limo's interior pics for their Craigslist Ad

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  turbojimmy 
#1 ·
It pisses me off a little. The exterior pic of the car, a black '96 6-door limo, as well as the driver's side interior appear to be legit, but the passenger compartment is a pic I took of my car back in October. There's no mistaking it. I stumbled across it while listing my own car for sale (looking at that bigger '94).

So I don't know what kind of scam the guy is trying to pull, but I don't want my pics to be part of it. I asked them to remove the picture but they didn't. I sent a complaint to Craigslist. It's funny because his interior is blue - it's plain as day that my interior is black.

Here's the ad: http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/2494001394.html

That 3rd pic is mine, not the car he listed.

Anyway, I listed my car but it's not appearing in a search of keywords. I e-mailed them about that, too.

I'm going to look at the '94 on Friday. Hopefully it's as nice as it appears to be in the pics....

#5 ·
Yes. The picture is not his car. The 24-hour middle seat option is pretty rare, and each coach builder had a different twist on the theme. Superior did it one way, Federal did it another. My car is a Superior, his is not. He may have just unbolted the middle seat in his car and turned it around, which would mean that the safety belts are in the wrong place or non-existent.

No matter how you look at it, he's misrepresented the car in the listing. Maybe all the pics are bogus? Dunno, but I don't want him using my pic. I hate lazy people, and hate scammers even more.

#8 ·
I didnt realize the different variations in that type of car. If I were to sell my Cadillac and someone had the exact same car for sale with pictures listed then I see no problem with using the pics someone else already posted, as long as its the exact same car. Some might say its lazy, other might say its good time management.

#10 ·
Yeah, if it were identical I could see it. But it isn't. I can see in the pic that it's not a Superior car which means that even if the middle seat has the "24-hour" option, it wouldn't be like my car. The vast majority of the 6-door limos had a fixed center seat that faces forward. Seat belts were regular shoulder belts where you would expect them to be. On the 24-hour cars, the seats slid on a track and lock into place. They flip so they could face both forward and backward. When facing backward, there is another set of seat belts. I've seen a lot of 6-door cars where the owners simply unbolt the middle seat and turn it around, which technically can be dangerous because there's no seat belts in that scenario.

I'm a little anal about it because I did my homework and searched high and low for a legitimate 24-hour arrangement. This guy might have one too, but it's not likely.

#9 ·
If I am selling a brand new product and use a syandard file photo to represent said product that is OK. When selling a used product you should only show a picture of that actual item OR make sure you add a disclaimer. Anything else is dishonest. And with a car you want to see what actually is for sale, not a reasonable facsimle.

#13 ·
I don't get how someone has access to the internet to post on Craigslist, but doesn't have a means of capturing an image electronically and posting it on the site? Everyone has a digital camera, cell phone, etc. these days, or know someone who does. It takes like 60 seconds to snap a pic and upload it. At best it's laziness, at worst a scam.

#15 ·
I agree that using somebody else´s pics is not the proper way to do things:

1- Probably he´s trying to hide something or everything of what turbojimmy suspects. That is dangerous for people considering this car as a real option. They could waste time and money to go and check the car is not what is advertised, as outsider told. If he has any trouble with his seats, why doesn´t he upload an official pic of the builder´s catalog? Anyway, a honest seller shows the car "as it is".
2- Maybe in the future Turbojimmy advertises his car. When he uploads his pic someone could think that it´s him who is taking another one´s photo, so he would be appearing as the scammer.

I would report the ad, no doubt. They will have to remove it.

#16 ·
Maybe in the future Turbojimmy advertises his car. When he uploads his pic someone could think that it´s him who is taking another one´s photo, so he would be appearing as the scammer.

I would report the ad, no doubt. They will have to remove it.
That's exactly what happened. I listed my car for sale with the same pic. Someone looking for a '96 Fleetwood Limo in this part of the country is going to find both listings with the same interior shot.

I flagged the ad, but it looks like it's still there (for now).

#19 ·
You're exactly right with your frustration . I would do the same as well . At least they should have said that those images were representative purposes only not "the real deal"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.