: Oops....I did it again

lincolncadillac
07-20-11, 08:32 PM
89 grey Brougham with cragar star wires (which i hate and will be selling asap!)

was told the carburetor needs adjusting ( i dont think that is the problem but he said thats what his mechanic said ) when i got off the highway and parked it the engine started to surge

Body in good shape ( no major damage )

paint in good shape ( no clear coat damage )

roof in cood shape ( no cracks)

Has all service records

a/c appears to have a leak ( he told me he just filled it with freon )

coolant temp light was on for about 5 min on highway after driving for about 40 minutes, but soon as i got off and slowed down it disappeared....??????

i guess time will tell about what other surprises lay in wait

outsider
07-20-11, 09:13 PM
My 87's coolant temp light came on on the highway while I had the AC on. I shut the AC off and the light went off. Did you have the AC on?

cadillac kevin
07-20-11, 10:17 PM
ditch the cragar wires and got for either legit wires or some cadillac dish hubcaps.

edit:
have you checked the radiator for corrosion? my radiator (original) did that when I bought the car. about 2000 miles later it started running very very hot one day and the radiator finally blew up and spewed everywhere (when I was backing into my driveway thankfully).

lincolncadillac
07-20-11, 10:55 PM
My 87's coolant temp light came on on the highway while I had the AC on. I shut the AC off and the light went off. Did you have the AC on?

i had the a/c off. But i do remember him saying something about a light comeing on at about 75 mph, but i thought he said it had to do with the smog pump...?

lincolncadillac
07-20-11, 10:58 PM
ditch the cragar wires and got for either legit wires or some cadillac dish hubcaps.

edit:
have you checked the radiator for corrosion? my radiator (original) did that when I bought the car. about 2000 miles later it started running very very hot one day and the radiator finally blew up and spewed everywhere (when I was backing into my driveway thankfully).

Actually, i might give the cragars a chance to grow on me ( i dought it).

Havent checked the radiator yet.

77CDV
07-21-11, 03:33 AM
Congrats on your purchase. Figuring out a "new" car's secrets is half the fun! :)

mjs182004
07-21-11, 11:29 AM
I like these kinda threads! Congrats on the new ride!

lacville78
07-22-11, 06:20 AM
Nice find!!!

But I don't understand the bad rap about the Cragar wheels

I own the hubcaps and appliance spoked rims but I do like the look of the Cragar 30 spoke rims about the same as I like My Caddy Spoke wheels

(Maybe I just have bad taste tho!)

Does anyone on here know the history of the Cragar wheels? Did they ever come on stock, and did caddy use the appliance wheels stock?

Its kind of a mystery to me

I think some Cragars poked more than others, I prefer the ones that poke the most. I think the 84's

Can you get some pics up?

cadillac kevin
07-22-11, 09:24 AM
I've seen some cragar spokes that I like and some that I hate. It depends on the number of spokes and how far the spokes stick out.
cragars were never a factory option (although I guess it is possible some dealers installed them)
btw, what are appliance wheels?

lacville78
07-22-11, 07:18 PM
im no expert but I think they were the "legit" wires.
they are 70 spoked I think.

I'm sorry I dont have more info, but I'd bet someone else on here knows everything there is to know about Cadillac Wire Wheel options

lincolncadillac
07-22-11, 11:52 PM
cragar star wire 30 spokes or tru spoke 30 ( their is alot of confusion as to which is oem ) were a factory option for the 83 and 84 years. They call them "elbows" or "swangas". the 84's poked out more than the 83's.

I really dont like them much, but iam going to try and let them grow on me.