Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Brake Pedal Floors on Decelerate

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  jennings3 
#1 ·
'79 Fleetwood Brougham has been in the family since new, sits at mother's and driven on weekends. It is a beautiful car that I have to sell because I was laid off. The brakes were serviced about six months ago. Because of no income I need to try to fix this myself, if I can. I have changed pads/rotors on my other car, Ford Taurus but it is a lot newer (2002).

The brake pedal seems firm, then on slowing it suddenly goes to the floor. Sometimes seems like it happens on downshift. Other times I will be stopped and the car will roll forward, scary. Now it is parked but Taurus is in the shop so I don't have transportation.

I searched threads for a while and could not find a similar problem on a previous post. Please help with your suggestions. Many thanks, wjs

#2 ·
Check the brake fluid level. Sounds like you have a leak somewhere. Eventually it won't stop at all.

If the level is low, inspect the lines at each wheel for leaks as well as all of the lines from the master cylinder to their ultimate destinations. I'd bet on a rusted/popped line somewhere.

#3 ·
First I would check the inside of all the tires for brake fuild to see if there is a wheel cylinder leaking then look for drips from a bad brake line. If no leaks and it feels like you have brakes and then they are gone and you pump it again and they feel like they are back I would think that the seals in the mastercylinder are leaking...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.