: Dealer refuses to give loaner car during multi-day warranty repairs

DATDAMNGOOD
07-20-11, 12:08 PM
I recently moved so I took my 2010 into a dealership near my new house for a warranty issue. The part they needed was on back order so they had to keep the truck for multiple days. They would not give me a loaner car since I did not purchase the vehicle from them. I tried to explain that I'd purchased 2 vehicles from my prior dealership and now that I moved would be looking for a new dealership. Their refusal just knocked them out of the running for those purchases. Does anyone else believe this is a horrible business practice?

North49
07-20-11, 12:23 PM
I not only get a loaner, I get a Cadillac. I would make them famous for their unacceptable customer service practices.

dkozloski
07-20-11, 03:18 PM
My dealer gives you a ride home in an old rattletrap van with a senile driver that keeps getting lost. You have to find your own way back to pick up your car.

icejava
07-20-11, 03:19 PM
Thats ridiculous! I goto different a dealership for warranty than where I purchased and I always get a loaner... usually a Cadillac. I thought it was included in the warranty.

fivepix
07-20-11, 03:25 PM
I don't think dealers are obligated to provide customers with a loaner at least here in Canada anyways, most will provide some sort of shuttle service.

I've asked for cars if the repair takes more than a few hours and they have always said yes, I've gotten a CTS before, but if it's a warranty job they will give me a rental which is usually a Tahoe or similar, that's only because the rental company doesn't carry any Escalades.

I would try a different dealer if possible.

DATDAMNGOOD
07-20-11, 04:20 PM
i actually ended up taking the car to my old dealer, 1.5 hours away. they gave me an srx.

i could understand if the repair was going to take a few hours, but we're talking days. it actually ended up taking 5.

evois
07-20-11, 06:52 PM
they don't owe you since you did not buy it from them. sounds fair!

smiley47
07-20-11, 08:13 PM
I think you should give the name and location of the dealer so the rest of us can avoid that dealership.

MrHolland
07-20-11, 08:42 PM
they don't owe you since you did not buy it from them. sounds fair!

I do not agree with this thought process at all. They are charging the warranty work to Cadillac and can just as easily charge a rental car to Cadillac. Although customer pay is the preferred method of payment, warranty work still pays. Cadillac owes you something to drive while they repair their discrepancies. I would most certainly look for a dealership that appreciates my business, and by that I mean goes that extra mile to ensure the repair process is as streamlined and painless as possible. After all, the only fault I have is paying thousands of dollars for a car that is in need of repairs…………

fivepix
07-20-11, 10:31 PM
I do not agree with this thought process at all. They are charging the warranty work to Cadillac and can just as easily charge a rental car to Cadillac. Although customer pay is the preferred method of payment, warranty work still pays. Cadillac owes you something to drive while they repair their discrepancies. I would most certainly look for a dealership that appreciates my business, and by that I mean goes that extra mile to ensure the repair process is as streamlined and painless as possible. After all, the only fault I have is paying thousands of dollars for a car that is in need of repairs…………

I agree with you, just because you didn't purchase your vehicle from their dealership doesn't mean you should get sub-par customer service. I've been going to a dealership near my work to get service done from warranty to simple oil changes, I didn't purchase my truck there but they treat me a lot better than the dealership were I bought my Escalade from. I will be purchasing my next Cadillac at their dealership for sure!

tony abbott
07-20-11, 11:05 PM
I absolutely agree they should supply a loaner - and it should be a Cadillac. I am in Canada and have had this conversation with my dealer. They give loaners but not Cadillac loaners. My wife drives a Lexus and gets a brand new demo even when she only takes it in for an oil change - and it comes back cleaned....and oil changes are about all it ever has needed in four years!

hannity
07-21-11, 12:19 AM
I absolutely agree they should supply a loaner - and it should be a Cadillac. I am in Canada and have had this conversation with my dealer. They give loaners but not Cadillac loaners. My wife drives a Lexus and gets a brand new demo even when she only takes it in for an oil change - and it comes back cleaned....and oil changes are about all it ever has needed in four years!

Not to be nosey, but did she buy the Lexus brand new? When my mom bought hers,Lexus sent her a bottle of wine and a fruit basket. The salesman even called her either the end of the week or the following week (I don't remember) to ask her if she was enjoying the car. When I bought my platinum I didn't even get so much as a phone call. gm can't even compete with customer service of Nissan. When I had my old Maxima and if I took it in for anything which was mostly routine maintenance I never had problems. With my platinum I take it in for warranty repairs and quality issues. It ha's been solid now for 6 weeks knock on wood. But when I do take it in, I mostly get handled like I am bothering the service advisors.

MrSplenda
07-21-11, 04:53 AM
That is ridiculous that you did not get a loaner! I get a loaner every time I bring my Escalade in to my dealership, granted; I bought my car there. I would expect the same service at any dealership though. These are high end vehicles and we should all expect high end treatment. For me, the service is a make or break for me as to whether I am going to buy another vehicles from this car maker. So far, their service at my dealership as exceeded my expectations. I would call Cadillac Customer Care and report your issue. Stand up for yourself, call, and write a letter to Cadillac Customer Care.

hcvone
07-21-11, 07:50 AM
It clearly states in the 2010 sales catalog "Courtesy transportation is also available whenever your vehicle is in for warranted repairs" this is listed under Cadillac Owner Privileges

Big Windy Ext
07-21-11, 09:47 AM
Courtesy transportation can be the short bus with the senile blind guy . My dealer supplies loaners if you make a service appointment . We always get a Cadillac,the only Caddy we haven't driven is the STS which isn't in their fleet. Did you have an appointment and request a loaner?

rjm
07-21-11, 11:11 AM
The Mercedes dealer here is that way. One of the reasons why I have an Escalade and not a GL. They will only provide a loaner car if you purchased/leased from them regardless of the the car being under warranty and having scheduled an appointment for service. I asked about people being transferred here for their job, and they said we'll give a loaner but you pay our daily rental fee or we can call Enterprise and you can pay them. They seemed annoyed when I brought it up since I would be purchasing from them. I pointed out that it showed they weren't focused on the customer, just their bottom line, and I'd take my business elsewhere...which I did.

This is also the type of dealer the bankruptcy cull should've eliminated. The vehicle is under warranty, Cadillac will reimburse them, so whats the problem. Even if they didn't want to provide a car from their fleet, Enterprise is more than willing/able.

DATDAMNGOOD
07-21-11, 11:45 AM
Courtesy transportation can be the short bus with the senile blind guy . My dealer supplies loaners if you make a service appointment . We always get a Cadillac,the only Caddy we haven't driven is the STS which isn't in their fleet. Did you have an appointment and request a loaner?

Yes. I had an appointment. It went down like this.

First, I called and made an appointment. They then called a few hours before the appointment and cancelled because they didn't have a loaner car to give me. We rescheduled for the next day. When I showed up the next day, the service advisor told me that his service manager passed a new rule that prevented the service advisors from giving cars to customers who didn't purchase the vehicle at that dealership. I asked to speak to the service manager and tried to explain why this was a horrible business decision and why they wouldn't be getting any of my business in the future.

I called my old dealership, made an appointment, and drove 1.5 hours to take them the vehicle. They gave me a loaner SRX.

On another note, is this an official Cadillac site? I've been poking around here since 06 but always thought it was a fan site. Someone PMed asking for my personal information so that they could file a complaint on my behalf. I'm generally leary about those sorts of things over the internet.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-21-11, 01:01 PM
DATDAMNGOOD,

This is not an official Cadillac website, you are correct. I am on here to assist customers with getting their vehicle issues resolved. I do understand it sounds kind of fishy to have someone asking for such personal information like your address and things. I can assure you that I am real and that I am a Social Media/Customer Service Agent. As I said in the message, you don’t have to provide me with your information. I am not going to force you to give me your information so I can file a complaint on that dealership. You can always call Cadillac Customer Assistance to file the complaint. I have assisted many users on the forum and they can let you know that I am legit.

Thank you,
Elizabeth, Cadillac Customer Service

DATDAMNGOOD
07-21-11, 01:07 PM
I hope it didn't sound as though I thought you were trying to force me to give my info. Quite the opposite. I thought your communications to me were very professional and potentially helpful. Just wanted others opinion on the matter. Thanks.

DATDAMNGOOD,

This is not an official Cadillac website, you are correct. I am on here to assist customers with getting their vehicle issues resolved. I do understand it sounds kind of fishy to have someone asking for such personal information like your address and things. I can assure you that I am real and that I am a Social Media/Customer Service Agent. As I said in the message, you don’t have to provide me with your information. I am not going to force you to give me your information so I can file a complaint on that dealership. You can always call Cadillac Customer Assistance to file the complaint. I have assisted many users on the forum and they can let you know that I am legit.

Thank you,

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-21-11, 03:03 PM
DATDAMNGOOD,

I completely understand. I didn’t think you thought I was trying to force information out of you. I just wanted to make it clear that you do not have to provide me with anything if you don’t want to. I am here to help. I just want everyone to know that I am willing to look into any situation and try to find the best possible resolution.

Thank you,

MrHolland
07-21-11, 07:32 PM
DATDAMNGOOD,

Thank you,

Elizabeth with Cadillac Customer Service is legit and has not only helped me but many others in the forum. Look for the post with Stock 22 Rub on page two, thats the thread that I requested help with. Good luck sir!!!

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-22-11, 11:07 AM
Mrholland,

Thank you for the support!

PeteKT
07-22-11, 05:33 PM
Sounds to me like they scammed you, Cadillac pays them for a CADILLAC rental, they proably pocketed the money and didnt give you the rental, id call and complain about the dealership

RippyPartsDept
07-22-11, 06:39 PM
definitely get with Elizabeth and start a case/complaint

these types of dealers end up giving a bad name to all of us dealers even when we try and go above and beyond in regards to cust svc

i get flak all the time from people who think i'm just like their local dealer (who is more like your local dealer)
i'm sure elizabeth gets similar initial knee-jerk reactions from some people who think she's just like the last non-helpful cust svc person they spoke with at their phone or cable company etc

it is a stereotype that isn't just in the auto industry but across many business types where customer service is involved
cadillac (through myself, elizabeth, and others like us) is trying really hard to turn that stereotype into a thing of the past
judging by the anecdotal evidence posted here by many forum members i think that we're off to a good start in the last couple years
and if people like you who have bad experiences don't speak up and just give up then there won't be any feedback as for where the improvement is needed

like the saying goes "it only takes one rotten apple to spoil the bunch"

so thanks for making a stink - we deserved it ... but please don't give up on us (as a whole) just yet

cheers,
chris

smiley47
07-22-11, 07:06 PM
I would still like to know who the dealer is.

DonGib
07-22-11, 07:17 PM
I bought my used 2007 XLR from a Chevrolet dealer and have been going to my local Cadillac dealer for service work. They had the car for over 2 weeks fixing an oil leak (under warranty) and I had a 2011 Cadillac to drive. I have been back for two more repairs and again had a new Cadillac each time.

h2kool4tn
07-23-11, 12:28 PM
I got an SRX for a repair that took maybe 4 hours, at a different dealer from where I bought my car from. Perfect customer service.

tony abbott
07-24-11, 11:17 AM
Actually it was a demo that was operated by the dealership owners mother - great car. No problem with loaners even when taking it in for maintenance at a different dealership.
Cadillac could learn from Lexus regarding customer service.

Big Windy Ext
07-24-11, 09:22 PM
It really comes down to the dealer,I hate being treated like pond scum.You have been too kind not blurbing the dealers name,I imagine your stuck using this dealership.I hope they set this straight for you .

DATDAMNGOOD
07-26-11, 06:30 PM
Stewart Cadillac in Houston Texas.

I'm in the process of filing complaint.

Squiggly
07-27-11, 10:13 AM
If i don't want to drive down, my dealer will come to my house, my work, or wherever I tell them I will be. They will bring a Cadillac loaner with them for me (occasionally a CTS-V), and when the repair is done they will drop it off wherever I am at that time. This is a free service. That dealer sounds like it isn't going to last long...

CadzillaTN
07-27-11, 10:11 PM
Read your warranty fine print folks.

Dealers are covered by gm for X amount of days based on X amount of labor hours on warranty repairs, and they are gambling on reimbursement including your loaner cost until they find that part actually faulty.

Part shipping time and down time are not covered, although in certain cases the warranty company will make exceptions. Sometimes it just takes the writer calling and asking on your behalf.

Usually, any additional days come out of the dealers pocket.

I learned early on that if you work with your dealer on issues like this, it makes them more apt to help you when you need it, such as when their repair/replace decision could go either way based on how someone is feeling that day.

Dealers operate on a p/l like every other business, not a blank check from gm...

RippyPartsDept
07-27-11, 10:54 PM
:yeah:

krieghoff
08-16-11, 08:43 AM
I took my ESV to the dealer to get some work done and as soon as I pulled in he ask me if I needed a car to drive!