: weird forum rules

C5V2
07-19-11, 06:53 PM
how long before you can send a private message?

The Tony Show
07-19-11, 06:56 PM
PMs aren't activated until members have contributed a bit in an attempt to curb spam. It benefits everyone by preventing spammers from signing up and flooding your inbox with junk.

PhxTriode
07-19-11, 08:10 PM
There is also a secret handshake you must master first....

Just kidding,

Welcome to the forum

cbloveday
07-19-11, 08:38 PM
I think he blocked you with his handheld.

smackdownCTSV
07-19-11, 08:58 PM
The forum is money hungry, slip them $20 to become a Supporting Member and you won't have any problems. ;)

The Tony Show
07-20-11, 10:56 AM
Smackdown, I'm guessing you've never seen a monthly hosting bill for a forum with 122,000 members and 2,000,000 posts.

smackdownCTSV
07-20-11, 11:09 AM
Nope, cannot say that I have.

markrn
07-20-11, 12:14 PM
Smackdown, I'm guessing you've never seen a monthly hosting bill for a forum with 122,000 members and 2,000,000 posts.

How much would that be?

The Tony Show
07-20-11, 12:41 PM
Enough to warrant asking people to support the forum in return for utilizing the largest Cadillac knowledge base on the planet.

If this place consisted solely of the V forums then I doubt the costs of running it would exceed what the owner takes in from vendors, but it's not. The problem is that there's forums for every Cadillac ever made, from the Catera to the Cimmaron to the CTS, plus tech forums for old engines that get lots of traffic from guests and non-registered users.

It's real easy to make a tiny forum that caters to one very specific product and not need ads or membership fees, but this place is 50 forums combined into one under the umbrella of all Cadillacs, so the small income from network ads and membership fees has to support the ENTIRE PLACE, not just this little corner of it that you use.

If we had 120 vendors like ls1tech there wouldn't be a single ad, but we don't. If we had no one using this site all day except the owners of one Cadillac product there wouldn't be a single ad, but we have owners of EVERY Cadillac product EVER using this site. Hopefully that puts a few network ads and the request for support in context.