: 94-95 Versus 96

turbojimmy
07-19-11, 02:26 PM
It's been asked before, but....here goes....

I'm considering another stretch. This one is a '94 Federal 62" stretch. It's all black like my '96, but it has a partition which is nice. It's a 6-door, but without any exterior handles on the middle doors. Middle seat flips both ways like mine. The extra 18" is nice and the partition gives me more audio/video options than my current 'Wood.

So I'm aware of the following differences between the '94 and '96:

- exterior side mirrors are different
- center console in the front is different
- Audio wiring is different with an external amp in the rear
- OBD-I engine management

I'm a little hesitant because I like the OBD-II engine management on the '96. I can tune it easily myself and state inspection is just a plug-n-play event. I'd want to eliminate the AIR injection and probably EVAP system on the car. Can the OBD-I PCM be tuned to eliminate these things.

The owner says the fuel gauge doesn't work. I assume it's the fuel sender, which isn't a big deal.

The '94 has about 20k fewer miles than my car and the body is in a bit better shape.

Drivetrain-wise, the '94 is identical right (except for the engine management)?

Unfortunately, I'd have to sell the '96. I don't have room for 2 of them here. Big decision.....

Cadillacboy
07-19-11, 06:17 PM
As far as I know, pre '96 cars were easier to modify and it was one of the reasons why Katshot bought a '95 . Well, I would keep your '96 unless you come across something special like factory armored

turbojimmy
07-19-11, 07:47 PM
As far as I know, pre '96 cars were easier to modify and it was one of the reasons why Katshot bought a '95 . Well, I would keep your '96 unless you come across something special like factory armored

I dunno, this Federal is pretty nice. The body appears to be in better shape. The vinyl top was cheesily repaired, but otherwise it looks good. My brother said if I bought it, no one would even notice the difference between it and my '96. Federal did a nicer job on the center seat, too. It also has glassware storage and an ice chest built into the center doors, equipped with wooden roll-top-desk-like doors.

The 62" stretches had the rear HVAC mounted between the front and middle seats, freeing up trunk space too. I'm going to take a look at it Friday night.

I did a lot of work to my '96 that would be tough to duplicate on the '94, but I consider the '94 a clean canvas to work with. Lots of potential.

MoistCabbage
07-19-11, 08:20 PM
Federal 62" stretch. It's all black like my '96, but it has a partition which is nice. It's a 6-door, but without any exterior handles on the middle doors. Middle seat flips both ways.

One of my dream cars, in that configuration, only find them for sale once in a while.

turbojimmy
07-19-11, 10:08 PM
One of my dream cars, in that configuration, only find them for sale once in a while.

Ahhh, someone who gets it. Most everyone else thinks I'm nuts.