: What's up with "JDM" guys stretching skinny tires onto wide rims??

WesH8398
07-19-11, 11:25 AM
I was googling fender rolling how-to's the other day and YouTube's suggested/related videos grabbed me. A bunch of videos on how to put 225 wide tires onto 10" wide rims, for example - WTF?? Then there were all kinds of vids showing import tuners rolling around SUPER LOW with these wheel/tire set ups. Some were SUPER nice cars too, but these wheels and tires looked just ridiculous to me.

Example:
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=CA#/watch?v=k40KGIqrn8o

EdmundGTP
07-19-11, 02:00 PM
Stretch and Poke.. It's........ Clownish if you ask me.. But whatever..

Skidmarcx
07-19-11, 05:12 PM
LOL yea a different trend that's for sure

repenttokyo
07-19-11, 05:37 PM
it's not just JDM, VW guys love to do it too.

AAIIIC
07-19-11, 07:04 PM
Yeah, stretched tires have been around long before the whole "JDM" craze began. VW guys have been stretching tires forever, low rider pickups have been doing it for years, low rider / air ride / hopping cars have been doing it for years, etc.

I concur that it's looks clownish to me, but to each his own.

dr.duct_mossburg
07-19-11, 11:23 PM
Being a former S4 owner, I can say that it is BIG in the german car scene. If you don't have power than you stretch and poke.

http://daseighty.net/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=3268

This was a StgIII car, around 400whp+...

http://daseighty.net/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=3253

Then you have some guys who just do it WAY to much and it looks stupid, but if it is done right in looks good imo.

lollygagger8
07-20-11, 09:37 AM
I hope they have curb feelers lolz

Skidmarcx
07-20-11, 03:03 PM
I hope they have curb feelers lolz

you just learn to drive cautiously LOL...

shadybx7
07-20-11, 05:22 PM
this thread needzz pics so it can turn into another spam thread
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/04_2606/_DSC0365.jpg
to each his own..
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/04_2606/_DSC0322.jpg

dr.duct_mossburg
07-20-11, 06:07 PM
German guys call it "poking" or "stretching", JDM guys call it "VIP".

exesivefire
07-20-11, 06:26 PM
German guys call it "poking" or "stretching", JDM guys call it "VIP".

Lol that's not exactly right

Poke is how far the rim pokes out, stretch is just what it sounds like.

"stanced" is usually the term. Some people take it to extremes just like anything else, but generally the idea is get the wheel as close as possible to the wheel well opening

Generally lowering stretching of tires and camber are involved to create that look

VIP usually refers to a larger luxury car that has been stanced.

Different strokes for different folks, personally I have seen it look really good if done right.

KING03
07-20-11, 09:23 PM
JDM guys call it Hella Flush, allows you to run wider rims while having no gap, these kids usually go through tires fast

JimmyH
07-20-11, 09:41 PM
With those rubber band sidewalls, they probably go through wheels too.

WesH8398
07-22-11, 09:23 AM
I'm all about aggressive, wide stances but this stretch and poke thing just doesn't do it for me. Certainly interesting though! Glad I could post an off-topic that entertained a few folks.

perfect
07-22-11, 09:54 AM
I bet a lot of those hella flush JDM guys wouldn't understand or agree with us making our Cadillac luxury cars sound and drive like NASCAR vehicles.

To each their own, right?

I respect any car modder who pushes the envelope in the pursuit of something that they love and are passionate about. I have seen it done right as well and I think it can look pretty good but would personally not want any of my vehicles to have that look.

KaMaSuTrA
07-22-11, 11:38 AM
It's one thing to mod a car for performance, it's another to just go for looks. That's what seperated tuners from ricers and this is no different. These stance trends are a cleaner form of rice IMO. Can't make the car fast, make it look fast mentality.

RADEoN
07-22-11, 09:42 PM
http://ekhatch.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/b.jpg

what the **** is wrong with people

WesH8398
07-22-11, 10:34 PM
http://ekhatch.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/b.jpg

WOW, that is wild. I can't say I'd feel very safe going for a road trip on those things.

JimmyH
07-22-11, 11:27 PM
not intended for highway use

dowlatij
07-23-11, 02:32 PM
I bet a lot of those hella flush JDM guys wouldn't understand or agree with us making our Cadillac luxury cars sound and drive like NASCAR vehicles.

To each their own, right?

I respect any car modder who pushes the envelope in the pursuit of something that they love and are passionate about. I have seen it done right as well and I think it can look pretty good but would personally not want any of my vehicles to have that look.

++1 I mean who cares what others do, it isn't rice it is just a new way and style. I mean if they can't go fast they would rather make it look nice. There's the VIP guys who do the luxury sedans and make them look amazing in my opinion who cares if it is for speed or for looks being a car guy you just appreciate the hard work and passion put into it.

You should look at some of these build threads and see the time and effort put into some of these cars to achieve those looks. It is not easy stuff and they push the limits! They spend hours redoing their body and suspension work to make it just right. It is just like you guys who build the crazy V's! for the track imagine all the time you put in your car! Ricers are those who just slap something on their car such as stickers and other random things and boast about how amazing their car is! These guys are just car guys in a different category!

Think about us, I mean building a Cadillac to go fast and be a track car while weighing about 4000 pounds!?
Try to talk to some of these guys! You could learn some new stuff like building a widebody for your car or other unique things you guys have wanted to do :) I mean their forums helped me with opening my headlights and some of the other work I have done to my car. To each his own!

liqidvenom
07-24-11, 06:15 PM
++1 I mean who cares what others do, it isn't rice it is just a new way and style. I mean if they can't go fast they would rather make it look nice. There's the VIP guys who do the luxury sedans and make them look amazing in my opinion who cares if it is for speed or for looks being a car guy you just appreciate the hard work and passion put into it.

You should look at some of these build threads and see the time and effort put into some of these cars to achieve those looks. It is not easy stuff and they push the limits! They spend hours redoing their body and suspension work to make it just right. It is just like you guys who build the crazy V's! for the track imagine all the time you put in your car! Ricers are those who just slap something on their car such as stickers and other random things and boast about how amazing their car is! These guys are just car guys in a different category!

Think about us, I mean building a Cadillac to go fast and be a track car while weighing about 4000 pounds!?
Try to talk to some of these guys! You could learn some new stuff like building a widebody for your car or other unique things you guys have wanted to do :) I mean their forums helped me with opening my headlights and some of the other work I have done to my car. To each his own!

this is basically it.

RADEoN
07-25-11, 07:39 AM
most of the JDM guys love the V.