: What do these engine codes mean?

WVESV
07-19-11, 11:20 AM
My check engine light came on so I used the code reader I have to read the codes. The codes that came back were P0030, P0053, and P0135. I think they are related to the O2 sensor but wanted to throw something on the board before I started changing parts. Anyone see these codes before?

hcvone
07-19-11, 03:03 PM
My check engine light came on so I used the code reader I have to read the codes. The codes that came back were P0030, P0053, and P0135. I think they are related to the O2 sensor but wanted to throw something on the board before I started changing parts. Anyone see these codes before?

P0030 heater control circuit bank 1
P0053 heater resistance bank 1
P0135 heater performance bank 1

All are releated to O2 sensors on the same side

darhef
07-19-11, 03:27 PM
Does the computer store these codes? The reason I am asking is because I had an engine light come on and it went out after some time. So I go to the dealer they scan the computer and come up with no codes what so ever. I've also heard that disconnecting the battery will clear the engine light, will it clear the codes as well?

WVESV
07-19-11, 04:00 PM
The disconnecting the battery method does not work on the newer OBD II vehicles. I clear the codes with my hand-held scanner.

WVESV
07-19-11, 04:03 PM
How do I tell if it is the upstream or downstream sensor? Are there multiple sensors upstream...one for each side of the engine?

hcvone
07-20-11, 09:39 AM
Trying to get to look into that today

darhef
07-22-11, 10:50 AM
The disconnecting the battery method does not work on the newer OBD II vehicles. I clear the codes with my hand-held scanner.

I'm looking at buying one. What type of scanner do you have, and what type would you suggest? I don't want to pay some ridiculous amount, something reasonable.

BIG85JEEP
07-25-11, 11:52 PM
Careful, I had some codes and it turned out NOTHING was wrong with the parts they were pointing to. Turned out one of the wiring harnesses for something was rubbing on the front driveshaft and caused a short and threw the CEL