: Car decides it only likes even gears yesterday...

Bigron
07-19-11, 08:33 AM
At 60 mph on the hwy yesterday in 4th gear, I tried to shift into 5th. Nope, locked out, no forcing it in. Shifted into 6th, no problem. Tried 5th again, nope. Downshifted into 4th, yep. Tired into 3rd, locked out. Decided to get off the hwy. Downshift to second, no problem. Got under 15-20, no 1st either.
Come to a complete stop and bam. Everything is back working.
Anyone else have this? Diagnosis? Hopefully this goes away completely or easy to replicate, because I hate having anything in between.

mannyz
07-19-11, 09:21 AM
I never had that problem. But.....I have ran into something at the drag strip. Occasionally after a quick burnout, the car does not want to get into reverse. Maybe the synchros need to be aligned or something but I rev it, move forward a bit, and BAM....good to go.

The Tony Show
07-19-11, 09:22 AM
That's odd- I can't think of anything other than a physical obstruction that kept the gear shifter from moving forward (since all your odd number gears are forward) that dislodged itself when you stopped. Might want to take a peek under the shift boot and under the car.

garfin
07-19-11, 10:19 AM
I had something similar happen to the T-56 in my Camaro during an F-body event in Bowling Green a number of years ago. The lever got stuck in 4th and I was only able to get it back into neutral by getting the car up to about 50 mph on the highway, taking my foot off the gas and forcing the lever into neutral,. It would get stuck in 1st, 2nd and 4th if it would go into those gears at all, but for the most part, I was unable to engage those gears. I gave up trying to put the car into those gears ('cuz most of the time I'd be locked out - and if it did go in, I couldn't shift out of those gears!). I drove back to Toronto using 3rd, 5th and 6th.

Upon teardown, a broken "dog key" was found that was causing this. I still don't know exactlywhat that is, but it's very small (maybe 1/2" long) and it was preventing the lever from moving freely. No problems with any of the synchros.

Best regards,

Elie

thebigjimsho
07-27-11, 12:09 AM
Any word, ron?