: Adding Aftermarket Radio/Nav to 2006 w/ Factory Nav?

Frikiton
07-19-11, 12:32 AM
Is it possible to replace the the Factory Navigation for an Aftermarket one?

My CD Changer damaged and to replace I will need to buy the whole unit which the cheapest around is about $600. Has anyone done this before or recommends not to? My current iPod integration with factory nav really sucks cuz some of the steering wheel buttons don't do the same function as it would do with radio/cd music.

ddalder
07-19-11, 01:04 AM
You'll lose your warning chimes, OnStar, steering wheel control (audio) and XM radio. You will require additional aftermarket modules to get some of these back, but even at that, you won't have full functionality. You'll also lose the ability to change personalization settings for your car.

IMO, not worth the trade-off. A lot to give up for what is really a pretty good sound system.

Frikiton
07-20-11, 01:37 AM
You'll lose your warning chimes, OnStar, steering wheel control (audio) and XM radio. You will require additional aftermarket modules to get some of these back, but even at that, you won't have full functionality. You'll also lose the ability to change personalization settings for your car.

IMO, not worth the trade-off. A lot to give up for what is really a pretty good sound system.
I guess I'll just continue using my ipod and forget about cds and/or keep looking for 1 day replacing the whole unit then

Thanks

Subsailor613
07-20-11, 02:45 PM
I asked on here if the 2008 radio is interchangeable with the 2005, so it will include,
Blue Tooth, and Speed Volume (Which I miss a lot), but no one knew if they are ? :cool2::cool2::cool2:
ddalder above is a heavy dude on knowledge of our cars !!! EChas also....
Our cars support MP-3 CD's,on all 6 CD's=1200 songs....or more....If and when you get if fixed, or exchanged..
Good Luck and Have Fun !

EChas3
07-20-11, 10:13 PM
Anything CAN be done. If you do go aftermarket, plan on replacing all your speakers and customizing the center-stack. Some forum members posted some great looking mods a few years ago. The OEM head-end can also be wired-in from the trunk to preserve functionality but...

Facing this situation, I'd set a reminder on Ebay and give it some time (while checking my local recycler's parts network). I'd rather not adopt the Turnne Philosophy and trade an otherwise outstanding car.

Frikiton
07-23-11, 04:23 AM