: Back from Vacation With the Limo

turbojimmy
07-18-11, 10:43 PM
Took the limo on a 450-miles-each-way trip to the Outer Banks last week. It was a blast. We had 6 people in the car - 3 adults and 3 kids. Plenty of room for everyone (and they each had their own door). Let's face it - it's an old car. It ran great and was a pleasure to pilot and to ride in. I actually got to spend some time in the back for once while my brother drove.

My only complaint is that I wish I had discovered the leaky rear shocks earlier. There wasn't time to swap them out and the ride was a bit bouncy at times.

The ride back sucked - swung by Hershey, PA to drop my girlfriend's son off. That meant an extra 100 miles and hours of stop-n-go traffic on I-95. We spent 12 hours in the car yesterday. Being able to stretch out a bit helped a lot and the A/C worked decent in the 100-degree heat.

The house had a concrete driveway and I was pleased to see that the car didn't drip a drop of anything all week.

It was covered in that salty-film from sitting by the ocean all week. I gave it a bath and a day of rest today. I love this car! I'm seriously looking for another one, though a bit longer :-)

Pics:

http://turbojimmy.4t.com/limo_beach-2.jpg

http://turbojimmy.4t.com/limo_beach-1.jpg

http://turbojimmy.4t.com/limo_beach-3.jpg

Bro-Ham
07-18-11, 11:53 PM
Jimmy, Looks like that's the ONLY way to travel! Summer is all about field trips and driving in a car you really love makes the adventure all the more fun! :) :) :)

turbojimmy
07-19-11, 08:42 AM
Jimmy, Looks like that's the ONLY way to travel! Summer is all about field trips and driving in a car you really love makes the adventure all the more fun! :) :) :)

I was telling my GF that. We could've flown down there, or anywhere for that matter. But driving allows you to see so much more of the U.S. (good, bad or otherwise).

It got 20 MPG, too, which isn't bad for its size and age. I'm thinking if I put 6 people and their luggage in a Suburban the mileage would be the same or less, and the ride wouldn't be as comfortable.

outsider
07-19-11, 09:48 AM
nice, sounds like a fun trip. Cadillacs are perfect road trip machines!

mjs182004
07-19-11, 10:47 AM
Sounds like a fun time! 20mpg is amazing, and I really like the pic of the Cadillac facing the Atlantic Ocean. Also dirty Dicks is a fun place to eat at!

sven914
07-19-11, 11:20 AM
I just realized... Rear suicide doors would look awesome on a six door limo. Looking at the first picture, I almost thought yours had them, but then I remembered it was a normal.

PRdeVille
07-19-11, 04:36 PM
I know I've said this before, but your limo freaking ROCKS!!!

Cadillacboy
07-19-11, 06:19 PM
Hey , I love your limo , this is the finest looking limo I have seen on the net
:highfive:

Well, I think we should replace our shocks too lol

turbojimmy
07-19-11, 07:41 PM
Thanks all!

Suicide doors on the back would be cool, actually. I'll have to add that to the to-do list :-)

Regarding the shocks....the bridge off of the island was a roller coaster ride. Each 100-foot (or thereabouts) section of concrete was bowed so it was uuuuppp and doowwwwn, uuuuppp and doowwnnn the whole way across it. We were bouncing pretty bad, but then so was everyone else. It was comical, but a little nauseating.

My next adventure is the Motley Crue/Poison/New York Dolls concert on 7/31. Me, 6 dudes/friends and my GF. VIP parking at the event. Tailgating in the limo. I'm thinking of getting a bigger power inverter so I can run my 800-watt PA system. Makes a lot of noise.

csbuckn
07-19-11, 09:22 PM
Your inverter is hardwired, right? If not, probably a good idea. Love the skyview, looks like the car is flaring up at something.

turbojimmy
07-19-11, 09:39 PM
Your inverter is hardwired, right? If not, probably a good idea. Love the skyview, looks like the car is flaring up at something.

Yes, hardwired with 4-gauge. I can do 800 watts with that. I'm gonna plug it in and see what the existing 410 watt inverter can take. Wally World has a 750 watt inverter pretty cheap. It will drop right in there.

The skyview was cool, thanks. It's a rooftop deck at the house we were staying at. It was the highest point as far as I could see. Definitely a cool feature of that house.

jsherid1
07-29-11, 12:10 PM
20 mpg is about the best my wife's Escalade can do and it does not have the interior room of your limo!