: XLR Questions Newcomers Want Answered (work in progress)

Lord Cadillac
07-18-11, 12:14 PM
Okay so we have a short list of important questions. Would anyone care to provide more? Or even answers to the questions? When all is said and done, I want to post a sticky with information and/or links to information posted around the forum.

- How many of my car were made? So, straight facts on production numbers would be a key. How many of each year, each color offered, each interior/exterior combo, etc.

- 04-05 XLR owners will want to know everything there is about the Headlight issue.

- A list of every recall that was issued on each year

- What are the common failure/problematic issues. What are tips of maintenance to help avoid any further issues.

- What similarities does the XLR have with other vehs? We know it shares the same platform as the C6, but let's get specific. What exactly is the same and what appears to be but is not? What parts are interchangeable?

- What are the tricks of the trade with this car? Meaning... hold this button and that button at the same time for 10 seconds and (x) will be reset.

- What does XLR even stand for? (Is it.. eXperimental Luxury Roadster?)

- What bolt pattern and offset are needed for aftermarket rims? How big of a rim can you go? How wide? How big of a tire can you stuff out back?

- Horsepower... tell me how I can make more! What other options do we have other than D3 Performance? Do they own the market? What are all the basic bolt-on options? Who can tune these cars?

ccclarke
07-23-11, 06:06 PM
Dear Lord,

Sort of like harvesting all the XLR info from the other XLR sites and pasting it here? Major faux pau. I wouldn't loot from this website either. I'm not implying you're advocating this, just that how else are you to get more posts here to upgrade the XLR section? I suggest setting the XLR section up to be populated properly and the data will trickle in. WIP indeed.

Many of the questions in your post are already contained within the XLR threads. A FAQ is what's needed --just like what the Gen 1 CTS-V has. Many readers don't use the search function, so a FAQ is a nice, one-stop shop to get the major questions answered. In contrast to the rabid CTS-V owners, the XLR section has never had a strong knowledge base of owners due to its complexity and relative rarity (and this site has always been weak in that respect.) The majority of the knowledgeable owners here are those of us who come over from the other XLR sites to help out. As a moderator on one of them, it pains me to see frustrated owners waiting for answers here that are readily available elsewhere, though it's considered bad form to provide re-directs tp those sites.

CC

Lord Cadillac
07-25-11, 12:28 PM
Hi CC,

First I need to ask... What in my post gave you the idea I wanted to harvest information from other sites? I never do that. We have plenty of information here to build an FAQ based on our own questions and answers. We may not have the most thorough set of XLR information, but I feel we're at least adequate... And I feel we can answer most of the basic questions a new or potential XLR owner will ask. So what I'd like to do is put that all together (from here) and create a sticky FAQ... That's all...

The XLR isn't made any more. It's only a matter of time before all the information we need is here via knowledgeable members who care to share their experiences and learned information...

Dear Lord,

Sort of like harvesting all the XLR info from the other XLR sites and pasting it here? Major faux pau. I wouldn't loot from this website either. I'm not implying you're advocating this, just that how else are you to get more posts here to upgrade the XLR section? I suggest setting the XLR section up to be populated properly and the data will trickle in. WIP indeed.

Many of the questions in your post are already contained within the XLR threads. A FAQ is what's needed --just like what the Gen 1 CTS-V has. Many readers don't use the search function, so a FAQ is a nice, one-stop shop to get the major questions answered. In contrast to the rabid CTS-V owners, the XLR section has never had a strong knowledge base of owners due to its complexity and relative rarity (and this site has always been weak in that respect.) The majority of the knowledgeable owners here are those of us who come over from the other XLR sites to help out. As a moderator on one of them, it pains me to see frustrated owners waiting for answers here that are readily available elsewhere, though it's considered bad form to provide re-directs tp those sites.

CC

ccclarke
07-25-11, 07:39 PM
Dear Lord,

Please re-read sentence four in my post. Aloud if necessary. I meant no offence.

What I wish to deter are any efforts by anyone to wholesale cut and paste info from other XLR sites here to populate the questions you pose. I’ve seen it done elsewhere, and it’s a detriment to all.

You are right –public information is just that, though the content and quality of that information is what draws members to any site. This site is no exception, as a lot of useful XLR info and related answers to the questions you pose already exist –it just needs someone to collect it and fill in the blanks. I know I’ve posted many times regarding what issues new and prospective owners should be aware of.
Take XLR production figures for example. Good luck finding them anywhere but a single XLR site –they were imported from the XLR section of Bowling Green Assembly website (since shut down.) Anyone can transpose the data; --it isn’t proprietary. But another well-known XLR site chooses not to and I respect that. If each site offers something unique, it becomes more valuable in the eyes of its members. I prefer diversity as it encourages quality. The aerospace world is a great example. Where there used to be a dozen big-name corporations producing military aircraft, now you have three. The taxpayers ultimately lose out.

As full-featured as this site aspires to be, (and it does encompass what I think is the broadest collection of all-Cadillac model info anywhere) it is unlikely to compete with a site that specializes in one model only, with a notable exception: The V series. The traffic specs speak for themselves.
Maybe you have this already on the backburner, --if not, I suggest offering an XLR FAQ—just like what is available for the CTS-V. It exists nowhere else. This is something I would be more than willing to contribute to, and I’m sure others would do the same. What say you?

v/r,

CC

Lord Cadillac
07-25-11, 07:52 PM
Sort of like harvesting all the XLR info from the other XLR sites and pasting it here? Major faux pau. I wouldn't loot from this website either. I'm not implying you're advocating this, just that how else are you to get more posts here to upgrade the XLR section?

I read your message very carefully before replying. I did see that you said you weren't implying I'd steal the content from other sites.

Am I looking to harvest information from other sites? No. How else can I get more posts here to upgrade the XLR section? By simply existing and gaining new members as XLR owners step up.

I do agree with you that an XLR FAQ is a good idea - but it's not something I have time to do on my own. If people wanted to help out, I could provide the platform, the domain, the web space and hosting - otherwise, my time is mostly spent taking care of this place. I think our own XLR areas can become very robust if people share their knowledge over time.

Jesda
07-26-11, 08:15 AM
Since this is an eventual FAQ, someone should post the procedure for unlocking the vehicle when the battery is dead. Could be handy.

Cadillac Tony
07-26-11, 10:35 AM
There's a lot more good info here on these forums than you think. Take this bit of info posted by helpful forum member Sandy which supposedly "doesn't exist anywhere":

371 - Xenon Blue
1,311 - Black Raven
630 - Satin Nickel
816 - Light Platinum
914 - Crimson Red
243 - Thunder Gray
102 - Magnetic Amethyst
4,387 - TOTAL

253 - Xenon Blue
1,161 - Black Raven
560 - Satin Nickel
819 - Light Platinum
1,017 - Thunder Gray
380 - Crimson Peal
4,190 - TOTAL

250 - Star Black
168 - Xenon Blue
1,247 - Black Raven
903 - Light Platinum
335 - Gold Mist
1,123 - InfraRed
110 - Blue Steel
4,136 - TOTAL

66 - LeMans Blue
38 - Golden Quartz
548 - Black Raven
3 - Gold-Mist
307 - Machine Silver
250 - Passion Red
293 - Monterey Red
1,505 - TOTAL

259 - Alpine White
75 - Goldstream
0 - Liquid Amethyst
473 - Black Raven
237 - Light Platinum
79 - Elektra Blue
410 - Crystal Claret
9 - Golden Quartz
1,542 - TOTAL

An afternoon of searching the forums and compiling useful posts like this one into a FAQ is probably all that's needed.

alarmu12
07-30-11, 09:17 PM
There is a plug in the left hand side of your rear bumper. Pop it off and use your key in the key switch to open the trunk. Now on the lh side behind the carpeted panel is a lever to pull. I never have tried it, but it is supposed to work per the book. I always keep my key in my billfold.

RADARB8
08-17-11, 03:15 AM
I am thinking about buying a 2004 with 63k on her..silver with black interior...for 23grand...showroom condition..
what bolt ons will give me better mileage on the 4.6L and better performance..I didn't want to go hog wild or i would be looking at an XLR-V...Also what does the XLR have in common with a C6?? It doesn't have a torque tube does it?? It is not an LS2 or LS3 etc. I own a very fast 06 CTS-V that is also the same color...Even though i like the red and black better, I want matching Caddy's.....:D:D

- What similarities does the XLR have with other vehs? We know it shares the same platform as the C6, but let's get specific. What exactly is the same and what appears to be but is not? What parts are interchangeable?

ccclarke
08-18-11, 03:00 AM
I've got an '04 CTS-V with just over 25k on it and an XLR with 60k. I hardly drive the CTS-V anymore. It isn't as fast, but the XLR is a lot more comfortable. Learn as much as you can about the problems with the 04-05's and make sure they've been resolved, or the $23k won't be such a great deal. Always have a dealer run the maintenance history. "Showroom" condition may be cosmetically sound, but mechanically and electrically, you need to make sure the car is good to go before you buy, or risk serious buyer's remorse. The XLR will eat you alive with repair bills if you inheirit a problem child.

CC

RADARB8
08-18-11, 04:53 AM
thanks...It has a clean faxs, but not sure about the maint. recs.??? I still don't see any comparisons to a C6.....I did a search and saw the XLR had 5 recalls...That's a lot...Also is the rear just as bad in these XLR's as the CTS-V gen.1?????I did not like the post i saw about the roof seals leaking causing corrision to the electrical system,, like #-4 grand worth of damage..That sucks...Wonder if that is common or just a freak thing....I own an 06 CTS-V and it rides pretty smooth, but like u said the XLR is a much better ride... The XLR also gets a lot of looks and attention....I know when i see one on the road which is rare,i almost get into an accident stareing it down...I used to own a show C5 and the XLR imo is a much more stylish car...

ccclarke
08-20-11, 12:32 AM
The XLR doesn't suffer from a glass rear end like the Gen 1 CTS-Vs. It may not have as many ponies, but it gets up and goes. And best of all, no stick to fuss with. (You can drive it as a clutchless manual using DSC though.)

There are over a hundred TSBs out on the '04s, but that's to be expected with a first year model.

Any dealer can run a maintenance history if provided with a grin and a VIN. You NEED to know what's been done to it so you can anticipate the other problems that are common to the year you're interested in. The latest one is cracks in the gas tanks for the '04. Just had one replaced two weeks ago. GM is covering it for ten years, which is good. Otherwise it could have been a $2500 repair bill!

If you're on a budget: pass. If not, enjoy and be ready to shell out a few bucks every now and then. It's still a great car.

Download an owners manual and test every function before you buy it. In fact, make a checklist so you're acquainted with the car before you run the tests.

Rear decklid leaks are easy to fix (covered in a TSB.) There are countless instances of owners not checking the drain line in the left/rear electronics bay. THAT is why the modules get fried if water accumulates in there.

No matter what kind of good deal you got when you paid for it, the XLR becomes a $75,000+ car again whenever it goes to the dealer. And if it's an 04-05, it will.

The XLR is definately a head-turner and is sure to start a conversation nearly every time you fill up. There's no comparison to the CTS-V in terms of ride, convenience, or comfort, but the graphics on the LCD for the infotainment and Nav system are pretty lame. Upgrading to an aftermarket head unit is very difficult to retain the full XLR functionality. The CTS-V does blow it away in handling, and during a roll-on, but since I'm not out there trying to attract the attention of the CHP, that's not an issue. You can add a C6 (or XLR-V) rear stabilizer bar yourself for less than $200, which improves the handling considerably.

CC

RADARB8
08-20-11, 02:20 AM
thanks CC, much appreciated...The XLR is being sold locally.I will look at it and drive it b/4 i buy...And will take your advice on having the dealer giving me the all maintainence records....