: Slipping Transmission

j-ack
07-18-11, 12:28 AM
I have a 2007 ESV with 56K. Last month the transmission slipped and would not shift into gear. Finally, after shifting into neutral and back to drive, the trans shifted into gear. The dealer told me that it "threw a code" but couldn't tell me much more than that. Since then the dealer has had the truck 3 times and has upgraded the software, changed the fluid, topped off the fluid and another software upgrade.

The first slippage incident has never repeated to the same degree but the transmission consistantly slips before engaging. It happens at varing times without regard to the gear its in, the speed or the rate of acceleration.

Up to this point the dealer has told me that he thinks its a software issue and that the computer needs to learn my driving style which takes about 200 miles after an upgrade. We have now driven it more than the 200 miles with it still occurring.

Has anyone else out there had this issue or any ideas as to what is going on?

Thanks

North49
07-18-11, 10:06 AM
I have a 2007 ESV with 56K. Last month the transmission slipped and would not shift into gear. Finally, after shifting into neutral and back to drive, the trans shifted into gear. The dealer told me that it "threw a code" but couldn't tell me much more than that. Since then the dealer has had the truck 3 times and has upgraded the software, changed the fluid, topped off the fluid and another software upgrade.

The first slippage incident has never repeated to the same degree but the transmission consistantly slips before engaging. It happens at varing times without regard to the gear its in, the speed or the rate of acceleration.

Up to this point the dealer has told me that he thinks its a software issue and that the computer needs to learn my driving style which takes about 200 miles after an upgrade. We have now driven it more than the 200 miles with it still occurring.

Has anyone else out there had this issue or any ideas as to what is going on?

Thanks

I am taking mine in today. This is the third time for a sloppy 2-3 shift. They tried all the programming and changed some faulty seals that were a known issue. They are going to replace the entire valve body now. Still waiting for some success as the factory wants to try one thing at a time. Its slowly driving me crazy as this has been ongoing now for 15k miles!

j-ack
07-18-11, 11:13 AM
Yesterday I pulled my boat abut 250 miles and it was the worst it has been. don't know if I should have some else look at it before I go home Saturday.

Thanks and let me know how it goes.

Naf
07-19-11, 07:10 AM
does the trans oil smell burnt?

Also when you start off initially does it lag a little before moving?

If the dealer isnt sharing any info go to another garage that specializes in trannies...They will give you an answer

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-19-11, 10:47 AM
j-ack,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. Have you been to any other dealership about this issue? If so, what did they say? If not, I would like to collect some information from you so I can look into this further for you. I would need your full name, address, phone number, VIN and current mileage.

Thank you

Elizabeth, Cadillac Customer Service

North49
07-19-11, 11:41 AM
I just came back from the dealership. The good news is that I'm getting a new transmission under warranty as they do not want to keep throwing money at it. (The next choice would have been a valve body and apparently about 2 grand including labor)

You have the customer service person listening now ..... but it still sounds like you need a transmission. Send her your info anyway as she may be able to point you to the proper people to get good service.

MissLisha
07-19-11, 10:30 PM
I am experiencing the same exact issue and the dealership gave me the same run around. Took the vehicle in and said he reprogrammed the transmission. It's been far past 200 miles and it seems it has gotten worse now. :( Makes me wonder...

j-ack
07-20-11, 09:39 AM
No I haven't been to another dealer about this.

James Ackerman
14601 E Sundance
Wichita, KS 67230

316-648-6841
1GYFK66807R356856
Mileage-56664

Thanks

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-20-11, 01:11 PM
North49,

Please let me know if you experience any other issues with your transmission.

J-ack,

I will be sending you a private message once I get everything set up for you.

Thank you,

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-20-11, 04:10 PM
MissLisha,

Have you let your dealership know you have gone over 200 miles and you are still experiencing the issue?

Thank you,

j-ack
07-20-11, 06:26 PM
Thanks Elizabeth, appreciate your help

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-21-11, 04:15 PM
j-ack,

You’re welcome. If you need anything else just let me know!

Thank you,

MissLisha
08-01-11, 01:53 AM
Yes, I have let the dealership know. I was told that my transmission was reprogrammed and that it needed to learn the driver. After going back again for the same issue I am still dissatisfied with my transmissions performance. It actually seems worse.

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-01-11, 12:09 PM
MissLisha,

I am sorry to hear that. Have you been into contact with Cadillac Customer Assistance about this issue?

Thank you,

MissLisha
08-18-11, 09:33 PM
No I have not contacted Customer Support, but will do so in the morning because the problem seems to be getting worse. Is there a specific number that I should call regarding this issue... Also, my outside door handle is popping off....?????

MrHolland
08-18-11, 09:57 PM
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is on of the more ridiculous things I've read in the forum... You computer needs to learn your driving style???????,,,,,,,,my laptop didnt need to learn my surfing style and my car certainly didnt need to learn my driving style when it was brand new and was functioning properly. WHAT A SCAM!!!!!!!!!! If the dealer wants you to road test the car for 200mi then they should just ask you instead of making up some story about the your car. Another way for the dealer to push you out the door and "hope" all is good.

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-19-11, 11:12 AM
The phone number to contact them at is 800-458-8006. They're open between 8 am and 9pm Monday through Saturday and closed on Sundays. I hope this helps you.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service