: I still love my caddies...

creeker
07-18-11, 12:21 AM
but I've always had a thing for Jaguars too, I've been doing some research on them, I want to spend around $5000.00 on one,
With the info. i've come up with, the 1995-97 XJ6 seems like a good model, everything I've found on them is very positive,
has anyone here had any hands on experience or knowledge of the cars? Thanks

orconn
07-18-11, 12:45 AM
Yes, I have had extensive experience with Jags. Let just say that the first thing you will need upon acquiring your $5000. Jag is a knowledgeable and reliable Jaguar mechanic. It is also important that you set aside $3000. to $4000. a year for maintenance and repairs (it helps if you can do some of the work yourself). The good news is that there are plenty of Jaguar parts available from specialty parts houses, the bad news is the cost a bit more than Caddy parts.

I personally have enjoyed Jaguars in various forms for over forty years and certainly understand their appeal, but I have to approve of Sub's "caveat" if you can't afford one new you probably can't afford a used one. Remember the price of parts and labor to work on these cars is geared to there original new retail price, not what you can pick up a clapped out example for used. It is the same situation as an older Cadillac, except more so!

Sorry if I am a bit too "realistic" about maintaining these lovely old crocks, but reality is reality. If you are prepared to put up with the cost and head aches a nice Jag will provide some really fine motoring!

creeker
07-18-11, 12:57 AM
Thanks for being realistic, I know they have their quirks, there is a nice 97 XJ6 in my area for sale, 70,000 miles for $5200. I will think on it.

Playdrv4me
07-18-11, 01:11 AM
Actually, that generation of XJ is a *little* different from the traditional ages old thinking on your traditional Jag. Jag was well into Ford's ownership by that time, and as far as JAGS are concerned, those generation XJs are fairly stout. The only trouble I know if in particular with them (and only because I see them on CL with some frequency) is head gaskets on the V6 motor. I'm sure you're aware Destroyer (Nick) on here has had a near flawless experience with his 2003 XJ8 which is the last iteration of the X300 body style. Find a good mechanic, find the most pristine example you can, and enjoy.

Jesda
07-18-11, 01:27 AM
And the head gasket issue is only on the XJR.

Jesda
07-18-11, 01:27 AM
There's an old XJ on Top Gear right now!

creeker
07-18-11, 01:39 AM

I just got off line from researching the 95-97 engine, it's an inline 6, thanks for the info., the more I read about the 95-97 XJ6, they really seem like a pretty safe bet,(not that I'm trying to convince myself).

Playdrv4me
07-18-11, 02:30 AM

I've seen more than a few "free" X300 6 cylinders (yes 4.0L I6 not V6) on CL because of a bad headgasket. I'm sure it's not as common as say, the N*, and maybe it's just luck of the draw I landed on those listings... Nonetheless, just something to keep in mind when looking at a potential find. Overall a fairly reliable car though. If I'm not mistaken much of the Lucas electrics had been excised by 1995.

Aron9000
07-18-11, 02:37 AM
^ A headgasket job should be a walk in the park on that inline six cylinder motor for an experienced Jag mechanic. Everything is where you can get to it easily, unlike the whole drop the whole subframe routine on a N* Caddy.

Playdrv4me
07-18-11, 02:41 AM
Yea, definitely. Don't know why those particular Jag owners didn't want to repair them. Maybe there was block damage... no idea.

Jesda
07-18-11, 02:41 AM
Its only $1500 to fix. Thats chump change on an old luxury car.

orconn
07-18-11, 02:51 AM
Its only $1500 to fix. Thats chump change on an old luxury car.

Many "old" Jag owners can't afford to fix a $1500. repair. It wouldn't surprise me if a power window on an old Jag would cost $1200., or more, to fix.

Also keep in mind that Jaguar dealers do not like working on Jags over ten years old and may well refuse to service them and also probably will not have parts to fix cars that are over ten years old. We ran into many such cases with members cars in the Jaguar Club of Virginia.

brandondeleo
07-18-11, 05:13 AM
I have always loved the look of the late '80s early '90s Vanden Plas Jags. Very classy cars.

Bro-Ham
07-19-11, 01:05 PM
I agree with Orr, make sure you have an amount of $$$ equal to the purchase price set aside for parts and fixing, every year. The romantic idea of owning a Jaguar will quickly end when you cross the line of the unexpected problems becoming the expected norm.

I've only owned one Jag, a 99 Vanden Plas, a nightmare, although I've owned 5 Rolls-Royces and one Bentley; British luxury cars have the look, presence, feel, even smell that can make you fall hopelessly in love. You simply need at least a gold or platinum AMEX to make it all work, you will find out they really do have limits, so you can drive the car and not just look at it, broken, in your garage.

I knew I was in trouble when I owned fancy Brit cars when the mechanics and dealers I knew lived in FARRRRRR fancier houses than me. :)

Jesda
07-19-11, 06:13 PM
Many "old" Jag owners can't afford to fix a $1500. repair. It wouldn't surprise me if a power window on an old Jag would cost $1200., or more, to fix.

Fortunately for them, there's plenty of these out there:
http://www.samarins.com/reviews/img/corolla_98.jpg

:)

orconn
07-19-11, 06:26 PM
Fortunately for them, there's plenty of these out there:
http://www.samarins.com/reviews/img/corolla_98.jpg

:)

Realistically speaking, you are right!

creeker
07-19-11, 06:38 PM
Check out "carsurvey.org" for the 95-97 XJ6 jaguar, nothing but positive owner reviews.

orconn
07-19-11, 07:21 PM
Creeker, I think you should get a Jaguar. Obviously this is something you want and being fully advised as to the potential costs you are comfortable dealing with. I don't doubt that some of the modifications that Ford made to the brand have yielded better reliabilty.

If a two to three thousand dollar repair bill, whether it is for a something like an engine repair, or for something more mundane like the air conditioning system or a broken seat or window, doesn't bother you then welcome to Jag ownership! You will enjoy the experience; they are lovelly cars!

Playdrv4me
07-19-11, 11:29 PM
Agree with Orconn. Keep in mind those are positive reviews... for a jag owner. And Jag owners typically go in *expecting* problems. Like I said before though, its a fairly reliable car for what it is.

Destroyer
07-19-11, 11:44 PM
I just got off line from researching the 95-97 engine, it's an inline 6, thanks for the info., the more I read about the 95-97 XJ6, they really seem like a pretty safe bet,(not that I'm trying to convince myself).I'll chime in here. A good friend of mine has a '96 model with 280k miles on it and his car is freakishly reliable. My '03 XJ8 is right around 110k miles right now and I can't believe how reliable it's been (90k when we got it a year ago). I praise my E250 extended van to high hell but truth is the Jag has given LESS problems. I bought my E250 the same month last year I got the Jag and put almost the same miles on it. The E250 needed a battery and now an A/C compressor. The Jag needed a headlight bulb and an alignment. Point is, the E250 with the 5.4 is considered a very reliable vehicle and the Jaguar isn't (because of earlier model problems). This makes the Jag's one of the biggest bargains out there. :) The repairs aren't cheap from what I hear. Don't get a pre-'02 XJ8 but do get an XJ6. They are great cars and can't really be compared to Cadillacs. The feeling is completely different.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/DSC00065.jpg

creeker
07-19-11, 11:47 PM
Thank you both for your comments, I've been trying to find out about fords involvement with jaguar, were they involved with 95-97 XJ6?, mainly who actually made the
engine. Thanks

Jesda
07-20-11, 12:59 AM
The 4.0 I-6 was used in the mid to late 80s (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and chassis of the X300 is a partial carryover. Ford's role was to simplify manufacturing, improve quality control, and reduce cost and complexity, which in turn resulted in better reliability and safety.

Short version:
Its an all-Jaguar motor.

creeker
07-20-11, 01:05 AM
Thanks for all the comments, I will stop bugging you guys.

Aron9000
07-20-11, 02:07 AM
The Jag inline six is a great motor. It makes cool noises, good power output, and is oh so silky smooth.

rock&vintage
12-20-11, 10:49 PM
well iff you do love jaggs i know a friend of mine that have a lh XJ6 limited edition in great condition iff you are interested it would be a great car for your collection however you would have to spend like more $6000.00 dollars to import to US once that this jagg is in SPAIN