: would you run a patched tire on a road course ?

vseries
07-17-11, 09:08 PM
Got a screw in my front tire with only 3 k on it , replace or patch it ? I do a couple track events a year.

newcadman
07-17-11, 09:53 PM
FWIW, for your total peace of mind might be best to replace.

MotownPimp
07-17-11, 10:04 PM
If I was going to be north of three digit speeds, I ain't gonna wanna be wondering if that patch was perfectly done. New tire for me.

Particularly on a front, as in that is what steers the car, wheel.

SRTVIPER03
07-17-11, 10:19 PM
Not if I'm on it with you!

buddyg
07-17-11, 11:37 PM
How much is your car and your life worth ? I hope more than the cost of a new tire.

baabootoo
07-18-11, 12:03 AM
Wow, the myths are running wild tonight. :) I'm guessing these are from guys that haven't seen an inside patch done. I would run, and did run, last year. This area will be tougher than the rest of the tire too. This was the least of my worries when Road America last year! Our tires are (Y) rated; in excess of 186 MPH. If you plan on running at this speed for many, many miles, then yes, I might also.

CTSHORE
07-18-11, 09:17 AM
As long as it's a "mushroom" style plug I don't see any risk. If you are talking about the Autozone junk that looks like a greased pretzel stick, not a chance.

EVIL_C5
07-18-11, 09:41 AM
wow, that sucks Benny. I had a nail in my rear tire after V-Day, luckily i wont be on the road course till next V-Day and have drag radials for the track.

M5eater
07-18-11, 11:09 AM
As long as it's a "mushroom" style plug I don't see any risk. If you are talking about the Autozone junk that looks like a greased pretzel stick, not a chance.

I agree, the kind that they take the tire off to plug from the reverse side and pull through the hole is good, the DIY kits... imply a certain quality.

Prof
07-18-11, 11:10 AM
NO....on second thought...NO.

vseries
07-18-11, 02:23 PM
I was never considering a plug but rather a patch from the inside that will not spread the chords, Ill price out a new tire by the end of the week just incase

EVIL_C5
07-18-11, 04:14 PM
you could track your GN instead.....lol

shchow
07-18-11, 04:46 PM
No, probably not...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=77

Busabob
07-18-11, 07:41 PM
I don't think I would.

jwa999
07-18-11, 11:19 PM
Last year i had 4 holes i my 996 turbo in one tire. I plugged them all myself with the "autozone" plugs. Never had a problem for the next 9 months till they wore out. And i regularly run 150+ in that thing at 44psi.

MotownPimp
07-19-11, 02:13 AM
Some of you guys have bigger balls than I do.

Or,.............................

:D

Busabob
07-19-11, 06:45 AM
Last year i had 4 holes i my 996 turbo in one tire. I plugged them all myself with the "autozone" plugs. Never had a problem for the next 9 months till they wore out. And i regularly run 150+ in that thing at 44psi.

Wow!! Good on ya.... I knew guys who would run big-bore motorcycles well north of 150 with screwn in plugs. Not for the un/under insured!

dvandentop
07-20-11, 09:35 PM
never had a problem running a plug

cbloveday
07-20-11, 10:47 PM
I just fixed my first flat today since I was 16 years old. I turned it into a learning session with my step son, who is 11.
I saw this morning where my DIC showed the rear passenger tire was at 30 psi and I said "Oh NO". I took a look with a flash light and sure enough, a completely embedded nail head. I pulled it out with pliers and it was 2 inches long. Did the autozone plug per instructions and she held for the drive to work and back today. Sprayed her with soapy water as well to check for a leak. Glad I check the tire pressure all the time and this occurred in the garage.

So back to the story, I took some extra time to explain what I was doing at each step to my step son. He seemed to really enjoyed it.

jzchen
07-21-11, 01:57 AM
My wife's car had a nail in the thread outside of the repairable area. I told her to take it home. I plugged it with a plug from Walmart with some of the rubber cement they sell for tires as well. I gave her the warning that this is not supposed to be safe. She/We have driven it for several thousands of miles and I've actually hit 100mph on it. It leaks at 0.5 psi faster every two weeks. (I check every two weeks.) So far so good...

thebigjimsho
07-26-11, 11:29 PM
Never.

zinner
07-27-11, 12:01 AM
Never had a tire with a plug fail, I have 2 or 3 tires plugged at the tire store off wheel.

thebigjimsho
07-27-11, 12:39 AM
And I suppose you have tested that at 145 on the straights of VIR or Summit Point?

vseries
08-09-11, 11:09 PM
ok with the instilled fear you guys have put into me I have ordered a new tire!! :cool2: thanks for all the input

Ronsv
08-09-11, 11:59 PM
If it was a patch done by a competent tire tech it should be fine, so long as the nail puncture was somewhat in the center of the tire and did not encroach on the side wall at all. I have run my last V (V1) with a patch at lime-rock and I'm still here, but that is not a crazy high speed track. I would probably limit speeds to 130 or below. Now if we are talking about a plug, then I would say no way.

V-Love
08-10-11, 01:02 AM
I've done it but I'm CRAZY!!! (plugged)

JOEYCTS-V
08-10-11, 07:13 AM
I can't say I haven't done it myself. My camaro had a tire with 2 plugs in it and I raced the shit out of that car. When we were young and stupid........

SRTVIPER03
08-10-11, 12:03 PM
ok with the instilled fear you guys have put into me I have ordered a new tire!! :cool2: thanks for all the input

Good Man! I worry enough about new tires on the race track. I'd hate to think I was racing next to someone with repaired tires. I raced my NASCAR Cup Car at CA Speedway last month and a piece of metal sliced a brand new Goodyear race tire coming out of the banking on turn 2. Luckily it held until I turned into the infield before it let go. The walls are Very hard and the price of a new tire is cheap in comparison to the cost of an accident. Besides, if you can't afford a new tire you shouldn't be racing the car anyway.