: Cars don't talk back they're just four wheeled friends now

jeepflambe
07-17-11, 10:04 PM
Hi:

I was going through a few google image searches for information on the intake manifold for my car and found this site.
I was pleased with the thread I happened upon because unlike that other Cadillac forum real and useful help was offered to the poster.

I just got finished fighting with the removal of my waterpump housing\manifold in order to replace a blown forst plug.
Man it sucks to forget a thing like anti-freeze in November!

Anyway in order to get the car mobile I had to see if there was any major damage tot he engine which required replacement of the plug. The one that sits behind the pump thankfully! I cannot imagine to sorrow of another being gone as I assume it would require the front cassette assembly of the car to be removed.

In for a penny in for a pound as they say.

No matter I love this car and can turn a wrench with some skill. But this thing was hard to remove. I cannot imagine putting it back together but that bridge must be crossed after a new plug is installed.

It is always nice to wrench on old cars and find all the malfeasant and idiotic thing that POs have done ( or previous shortcut, quick buck mechanics ) I do not know how the car contained its coolant as the seals were nearly dead. They must have gotten cooked in a major overheating once upon a time for they could never be re-used.

People think I am quite mad and say I should pay to have it hauled away but when I drive it "Radar Love" plays in my head and Honda Civic tuner kiddies cower in the wake of my disdain for them and for environmentalists.

just doing cursory searches has yielded so much on this site. The links to suspension components to replace the prohibitively expensive OEM bits is fabulous.

So howdy. I know I need the manual but it would cost more than I paid for the car.
1500 for a dream.

Stingroo
07-17-11, 10:06 PM
You'd be surprised how cheap the manuals are on eBay. I found the one for my wagon for like $8. Give it a shot!

Welcome to the forums. Post some pics.

:postpics:

Ranger
07-17-11, 10:23 PM
:welcome: :yeah:

cadillac kevin
07-17-11, 10:25 PM
ebay is your friend for manuals. the one for my caddy fwb cost me $15 shipped.
just type in factory service manual and the year and model for your car and see what comes up. if that doesnt work, look for a manual for the year before or after your car was made.

amunderdog
07-17-11, 10:25 PM
:Danielle:Hi:welcome:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-17-11, 10:53 PM
Nice Queen reference! Welcome!

Jesda
07-17-11, 11:13 PM
Sounds like you'll fit in well here :cool:

jeepflambe
07-18-11, 01:03 AM
I will take some pictures. it is dark and may be raining but you will get to see my redneck mayhem.
I need to disconnect the fuel line to do a full removal. I just needed the intake out of the way to get to the coolant manifold.
It is actually embarassing but I am a redneck.[77998

I notice a bit of orange sealant on the bolt threads 9 this may be normal ) but the stuff on the seals should not be there, at least i do not think so.

Aron9000
07-19-11, 02:04 AM
Actually the price on the manual depends on the make of the car. One for my Fleetwood was $15. One for my Toyota truck was $100, that was the cheapest I could find it anywhere. F that noise, damn truck is a flinstones-mobile compared to the complexity of a Cadillac.

Anyways, welcome, and I hope you have your Caddy back on the road soon!

Stingroo
07-19-11, 02:06 AM
Yeah, just depends on how lucky you get on any given day.

Still worth a look.

jeepflambe
07-31-13, 10:53 PM
Well that took a lot longer than I thought it would. Two years is a long time to wait and I am thinking maybe some mice may have set up house in the block.
I am finally in the process of getting around to Dis Connecting the fuel lines. I think I had a lot on the go and lost track of things.

Anyway its odd serendipity in that Rock Auto sent me a link to close out sales for my car.

I have a really good memory but would really benefit from any photo essays members have made of their engine bays.

CadillacLuke24
07-31-13, 11:32 PM
Welcome! Glad you like the Caddy :thumbsup:

Go check out the Northstar engine section. Plenty of engine bay goodies over there.

jeepflambe
08-01-13, 01:21 AM
Many thanks CadillacLuke24

Faith76
08-01-13, 01:39 AM
Howdy!

bigm57ict
08-01-13, 09:34 AM
Welcome back :)

jeepflambe
08-03-13, 11:42 PM
I am looking at manuals on ebay and cannot seem to get a full 3 volume set.
Anyone ween these in full sets?

jeepflambe
08-13-13, 02:25 PM
Well I found me a nice parts diagram place on a vendor website. Who needs a manual when you have a big picture?
I used my nice new fuel line disconnects today and was able to lift the plenum and throttle body from the car as a single unit. I consider this to be preferable to just removing the throttle body though some might argue against it. One bonus of doing so was that I found a small nest in Vee beside the starter.

SO I have dry fitted my new gaskets and forced my recollection of what bolts go where. Now I need the dreaded green Silicone hoses to proceed as they surely be put on once the Coolant Crossover pipe is bolted in.

Does anyone have an easy online source? I hate dealerships.

jeepflambe
08-14-13, 03:44 PM
Well www.napaonline.com shows the hose as a 3/4 inch Silicone part number H506
I probably just re-invented the wheel on this one but I got a one foot length from my local NAPA stroe for about 18 bucks.
The guy even asked what I was working on. I think this hose is only used in a few exotic locations on cars thus the price.

According to the NAPA guy the Green Silicone hose is terrific stuff to work with.
My old stuff basically fell apart and the new is shockingly pliable. It will work a treat when installing.

jeepflambe
08-14-13, 09:25 PM
Well I got the ole crossover trussed up and ready for basting.
Its gonna be tight for sure. I am sure I am not the first to have tried this.
I am a bit leery about snipping the wire off once I start threading a bolt.
Comment, Questions, Observations?

jeepflambe
08-15-13, 04:33 PM
Well after wrestling with the beast for a while I realized that the wiring harness over the tranny hump had to be removed or moved a far distance aside and forward.
I could see no other ready means of doing this with minimal disconnection of parts than to snip a heavy grey wire that was attached to what looked like the steel part of the rearward cylinder bank.

Doing this allowed an almost complete pulling of the thick harness forward enough to easily clear both the front and rear lower gasket bolts. A very pleasing site to see especially since I removed one of my twist ties prematurely for the bottom front gasket. With the harness moved I could easily slip my fingers behind and flip the gasket into correct alignment.

I am very pleased with todays 3 hours work of fiddling about trying to do the least harm. 8 bolts are now partially installed and the gaskets aligned the rest is easy and will be done on a cloudy day. I am off on my motor bike. Will post a pic of the engine compartment later it is still splayed out.

jeepflambe
08-16-13, 02:26 PM
So this is a pic of the myster wire. It looks like it is just a ground. I hope its not anything more than that as I will probably have to call the wreckers if it is.

93DevilleUSMC
08-16-13, 02:54 PM
Are you sure they don't talk back? I seem to remember my Deville saying, "Not tonight, I have a headache"...or at least, I think that's what the "Security" light means when you try to crank your car.....

talismandave
08-16-13, 06:00 PM
Interesting thread, looks like a real pain. Keep on plugging away at it!:thumbsup:

jeepflambe
08-16-13, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the kind words folks but what of the grey mystery wire?

talismandave
08-16-13, 11:50 PM
If I had anything to offer I would be glad to help. This is Community Lounge, you might have better luck posting in the appropriate forum section for your model and year. This area is primarily for chatting not tech advice.

jeepflambe
08-17-13, 12:33 AM
I understand now I am in the wrong section. I should have realized this belongs more in the Northstar related section.
Any moderators available to move my Thread?