: differential fluid change question/amsoil severe gear

jojipoji
07-17-11, 07:17 PM
I did a search and it didnt come back conclusive. Should I be adding .4 qts of the gm additive or does the amsoil severe gear oil 75w90 already have that in? Someone mentioned that it does, but most others add the Gm stuff in. Thanks in advance. Also could someone explain why there is the GM additive in the first place? My miata/s2000 and evo did not need an additive with the differential fluid change. I know they didnt have 550 lbs of torque either. thanks!

newcadman
07-17-11, 07:26 PM
The Amsoil 75w90 diff fluid does not have the additive in it. Amsoil's version of the additive is called Slip Lock and says their 4 oz. tube treats 2 to 4 quarts of gear lube. BTW, the diff takes one and a half quarts to refill.

jojipoji
07-17-11, 07:36 PM
thanks for the answer. Without going underneath, I also need the 10mm hex male socket also to change the differential fluid? what about the transmission? thanks in advance

newcadman
07-17-11, 08:41 PM
thanks for the answer. Without going underneath, I also need the 10mm hex male socket also to change the differential fluid? what about the transmission? thanks in advance

Might want to consider having the tranny done at a shop where they have a machine that sucks out the old fluid and fills it with new.

baabootoo
07-18-11, 01:14 AM

Why will you change the trans fluid?