: Another broken rear window regulator... tips on replacing?

PJGross
07-17-11, 02:55 PM
I'm guessing this will be a more common issue as our cars age. My passenger rear window regulator pulley broke. The pulleys are plastic and as they age will tend to become more and more brittle until: snap.

I have the door apart, fished out the broken pieces of the top plastic pulley, zip tied the window up for now, and ordered a new regulator off of ebay.

Does anyone have a write up of the regulator swap? It appears that it will be a pain in the #@s because of its location in the door. Anyone who has done this have any tips?

I didn't see any writeups with a glance in the vfaq so I thought I'd post it up.

I thought I was done with GM plastic parts with my '96 Impala SS window sliders (plastic and broke) and seat sliders (plastic and broke) but I guess cheap is cheap and GM is GM.

-------------------------------------------

I have some extra dynomat I will add to the outer door skin, especially around the door handle to make it sound a bit nicer, but anything else to do while in there? Speakers would be great but I haven't decided which direction I'm going on speaker replacement so I'll probably just button everything back up for now without changes.

Thanks for any tips on the regulator,
PJ

darkman
07-17-11, 03:42 PM
See attached.

PJGross
07-17-11, 05:29 PM
That's it! Thanks. I must be a bad searcher.

So it is just a pain in the #@s, but at least now I should get the window seated correctly in the holder.

Thanks again,
PJ

ctsv154
07-17-11, 09:46 PM
They are really easy to change. I have had to replace both of mine.

LAYGO
07-17-11, 10:14 PM
I thought I was done with GM plastic parts with my '96 Impala SS window sliders (plastic and broke) and seat sliders (plastic and broke) but I guess cheap is cheap and GM is GM.

LOL, yea, my back windows in my Impala are droopy too. I even got the roller ones, not the sliders, but my mechanic thought they were wrong & ordered some from GM without telling me. He fixed the front, but not the back.

kevm14
07-18-11, 08:02 AM
Yup, replaced the sliders with rollers on my Caprice, a few times. Left rear window is frozen and has been for years...I really hope I don't have window issues in the V. I'm at 106k and no problems yet.

PJGross
07-23-11, 09:34 PM
Thanks Darkman for the drawing. Fixed this today.

Wow, it was like hitting the "easy" button. Shocking. My wife was even impressed.

I took off everything on the outside of the watershield, removed the watershield. Five bolts out, two loosened, and out it came.
Swapped the motor to the new one and replaced after putting sheets of constrained layer damper (dynomat like) everywhere, including around the door handle, on some of the inner door support, etc. Now I want the other side to break because the the door sounds more like a BMW now. :)

When the cable came off, it got into the shaft seal of the motor and tore it up. I put some grease in there and put the seal back in as best I could.

My new regulator has plastic pulleys again, but hopefully it will last several years.

Had time to do an oil change, clean the K&N and MAF, AND a rear diff fluid change, too. Should be good to go for a while, now.

-PJ

kjr6306
07-25-11, 12:50 AM
Dont worry, you other one will go soon. Just did the right side at the beginning of summer and the left one just broke tonight on my drive home.

kevm14
07-25-11, 09:26 AM
Geez. How much are these regulators? You guys are making me paranoid. 106k on my 05 and they are original...

darkman
07-25-11, 09:31 AM
MRSP is $356. Before this thread I did not even know whether the rear windows rolled down.

ctsv154
07-25-11, 07:08 PM
I bought the Chinese regulators minus motor for 35 shipped off ebay and they have been flawless. Not a single issue. Cheapest I could find a salvaged regulator for was over $100 but included motor. They would not separate.

darkman
07-25-11, 07:43 PM
I bought the Chinese regulators minus motor for 35 shipped off ebay and they have been flawless. Not a single issue. Cheapest I could find a salvaged regulator for was over $100 but included motor. They would not separate.

So, is everyone just breaking regulators and not motors? If yes, what part of the regulator breaks - can it be beefed up?

GDPossehl
07-27-11, 05:51 PM
Go to know this is an issue. My driver's rear window howls when it's used. I imagine my motor is going.

ctsv154
07-27-11, 09:36 PM
So, is everyone just breaking regulators and not motors? If yes, what part of the regulator breaks - can it be beefed up?

The plastic pulleys just get brittle and break. I dont think there is any way to beaf them up.

PJGross
07-29-11, 11:16 AM
^^^Yep. I just threw out the broken pulley, but still have the regulator. I could take a pic of the bottom pulley, its the same as the top. Each regulator has 3 plastic pulleys, 1 top, 1 bottom, and a multigrooved drive pulley in the middle. The top and bottom pulleys are what break causing the cable to tangle everywhere.

I had read that at least one person received a regulator with metal pulleys when they ordered. I have no idea what brand it was or how much. I just ordered mine as cheap as possible on ebay.

It really is an easy swap so when the new or old one breaks, it isn't a big deal to swap. A motor swap wouldn't be bad, either. It is attached to the regulator and comes out as one unit.

-PJ

darkman
07-29-11, 11:24 AM
Rock Auto sells two replacements (excluding the AC Delco which includes the motor). One is a Dorman for just under $60 and the other is Cardone for roughly $130. The Cardone claims to be improved with less brittle "gears."

awdtalon92
08-13-11, 02:16 AM
This is the first thing I had to do to my V. The right rear regulator broke the first day I got it a month ago. Sounded nasty with the wire getting crunched up in tere. Turned out to be a VERY easy job. Don't get the OEM, the Dorman replacement is fine, and you should be able to find it for ~$50 online. Try Amazon.com

The whole thing took me about 2 hours. 1 to take it out, order the part, and 1 to put it back in. Mind you, I had never been in a V prior to doing the work. The FAQ has great instructions on removing the door panels. Once it is all out, just jam a block of wood to hold up the glass, two bolts holding the regulator to the glass, and 5 bolts holding the regulator and 3 bolts attaching the motor. An Allen key works fine for removing the 3 torx bolts.

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the job went. Also, this being my first American car, surprised at how differently the Japanese put things together.

GDPossehl
08-28-11, 11:12 PM
So my pass side rear window decided to fall open Saturday. It only goes down about 4-5" and can be pushed up. I head the motor working, but it doesn't move. Does this sound like a broken regulator?

I don't want to order the part before I know I need it, but I don't want to not need it when I open it up. Conundrum.

darkman
08-28-11, 11:26 PM
It sounds like a regulator to me. For what it is worth, my local auto parts store (OReilly's) sells these albeit for a little more than online. The convenience of being able to return it locally if not needed might be worth the added cost.

awdtalon92
09-01-11, 01:18 AM
Do yourself a favor and pull open the door. Will only take 15 minutes, it's not hard at all.

Irs13
06-04-13, 08:26 PM
I just had my passenger side read window break last night. Is the attachment still available?

darkman
06-04-13, 08:50 PM
See attached.

PJGross
06-05-13, 11:48 AM
Look at that, an old thread of mine! What you will find is a garbled mess of wire b/c one of the pulleys on the old reguator likely broke and the non-tensioned wire just goes wherever. It doesn't matter if the regulator works or not, there is no fixing it. Once one of the plastic pulleys fails, that wire is a mess. I should have taken pictures but Darkman's files show it pretty well.

It really wasn't that hard of a job. Just make sure to plug in all the pigtails afterwords. Don't ask how I know that.

:)

-PJ

67electro
07-25-13, 12:54 PM
Hey Darkman, could you re attach the PDF for the rear window regulator replacement info? I am about to replace my Right Rear. rolled up the window and heard all kind of shattering pully noises coming out. and no window moving.
got the new one today.

lollygagger8
07-25-13, 01:32 PM
Ummm....where's your writeup with pics, PJ??

67electro
07-25-13, 02:22 PM
never mind, I figured it out. took me 1 hour to do.

you have to remove the plastic lock knob at the top, then pop out the plastic oval cover behind the door grab and remove 2 screws. then remove the bezel behind the door latch handle. you can youtube this.
then pop the door panel off working your way around starting at the bottom.

then you have to remove the door electrical socket plate, (4 nuts) then unclip the door control module and let hang. then peel back the plastic and use a razor blade to cut the gooo stuff as you peel back the plastic. it keeps it from being stringy and you can just re stick it back later.

the door glass is held in by two bolts, just loosen them, and use some SCOTCH tape on the outside of the glass to hold it in the all the way up position, it actually holds it self up with just the window seals, but the tape keeps it up for sure.

unhook motor wire, then remove the old regular by removing 5 bolts.
transfer motor to new regulator.
pre loosen the new regular to door glass clamp bolts (2)
install new regulator and leave all bolts loose until you get all 5 back in (pretty easy) then go ahead and tighten them.
then remove the tape from window glass, and slide the glass down into the new regulator clamps, check the rubber to make sure its touching the glass and not metal.
then use driver door to roll the window back up. then tighten the new regulator to glass clamp bolts.

put door back together.

hope this helps someone.

PJGross
07-26-13, 11:18 AM
Ummm....where's your writeup with pics, PJ??
dang, called out on a 2 yr old thread! Whatever I do now I take pics, just in case.
Randy wants pics of an on-car Maggie rear belt install..... I have pics, but not of that belt going on, not on my car anyway. :)
I'm pulling the Maggie tonight and guess what, yep, taking pics even though nobody cares.... but someone will always ask, "where are the pics" so I gotta burn some memory on the cam. ;)

Wow, called out on a 2 yr old thread..... ouch. :)

rand49er
07-26-13, 11:46 AM
dang, called out on a 2 yr old thread! Whatever I do now I take pics, just in case.
Randy wants pics of an on-car Maggie rear belt install..... I have pics, but not of that belt going on, not on my car anyway. :)
I'm pulling the Maggie tonight and guess what, yep, taking pics even though nobody cares.... but someone will always ask, "where are the pics" so I gotta burn some memory on the cam. ;)

Wow, called out on a 2 yr old thread..... ouch. :)I've upped my request. I wanna youtube vid. :cool:

wifesv
11-29-14, 03:15 PM
Darkman,

can you attach the regulator replacement again? mine just went...

darkman
11-29-14, 03:35 PM
See attached.

wifesv
11-29-14, 07:38 PM
thank you sir!