: 50 Worst Cars of All Time. (Cimarron's on there. Lol)

brandondeleo
07-17-11, 07:00 AM
http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/completelist/0,,1658545,00.html Check this out. Lots of fun.

SDCaddyLacky
07-17-11, 07:19 AM
I don't agree with the Chrysler Airflow being on their. Today that things is beloved by many. I can't believe the 81 Fleetwood is in the list! Sure the engine is crappy, but they are overlooking the bigger picture here. It's styling, size and it's other quality's. If any Cadillac should be on the list, it should of been all the 80's FWD Cads. You can't completely fault a car based on 1 or 2 things. Every car has it's particular issues, TIME Mag has some right, and others wrong.

brandondeleo
07-17-11, 07:41 AM
Very true. I just find it entertaining to read their commentaries on the cars. The Airflow is a gorgeous car. The '80s FWD Cadillacs, idk. Other than the 4.1L shitboxes and the disastrous V8-6-4, they were good vehicles. The worst Cadillacs ever made (in my opinion) were the Cimarron (verrrrry confident on that one) and the Catera (slightly underrated, but still a lump of shit).

brandondeleo
07-17-11, 07:48 AM
The V8-6-4 in the '81 Fleetwood is a horrendous piece of equipment, though.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-17-11, 09:44 AM
Yeah dude, this list sucks.

Stingroo
07-17-11, 10:06 AM
This list sucks big time. Lots of cars I love.

:(

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-17-11, 10:13 AM
For example, the '71 Imperial. The only reason they don't like this one is because they find it's design to be tacky. It's all opinion!!

The worst cars list should be based off of cars with major safety issues that caused many injuries or deaths. Cars like the Pinto, etc.

brandondeleo
07-17-11, 10:46 AM
I disagree with most of these, being that it is mostly opinion, except for the especially bad ones, like the Pinto, Cimarron, Chevette, Yugo, Pacer, Morgan Propane, Midget, and Zunndapp. Lol... I like the Lambo LMoo2, SSR, DeLorean, and Excursion.

HAZZARDJOHN
07-17-11, 12:15 PM
A worst automobile list with a Model T listed should be immediately discounted as rubbish.

vincentm
07-17-11, 01:51 PM
58Edsel? What the fuks are they smoking? 81 fleetwood? Is it because the HT4100

Jesda
07-17-11, 02:33 PM
I have a die cast Chrysler Airflow sitting here on my desk. :)

orconn
07-17-11, 03:08 PM
A "Pulitzer Price'" winner for "automotive journalism" should be the tip off here. The list seems to have been compiled, as is so often the case, by people who have had no real experience with the cars they are judging. Probably some young guys sitting around a bar in L.A.'s Chinatown trying to produce a list, with cars nobody else has used for a list like this before, so they can win points with a bored editor.

It's not just journalist that do this though, we often see folks making judgments about cars that they have only read about in some car mag, but have never had really had any real personal experience.

ThumperPup
07-17-11, 03:13 PM
I dont agree with the Lambo LM002 on the list
i think it was a sweet awesome ride
when you mention that model vehicle to about 95 Percent of the Population they have no idea that it even ever exsisted i think the reason it is so underated is becausse of that itself not many even knew about them
i think Lambo did make a mistake with trying to make a off Road vehicle but that actualy turned out preatty nice
I have had rides in 1 that a friend has in Israel near the Egyptio boarder
we covered good off road ground in that back in 2004 from Eilat Desert to Cairo Egypt and back

OMG i just love that they got the 02 BWM 7 serries on there lol that car sucked big time

Im not so sure i agre with them having the SSR on there
I know personaly id love to have an SSR i think had a thread going a few months back about the SSR i love that little trucklin lol

ga_etc
07-17-11, 09:39 PM
58Edsel? What the fuks are they smoking? 81 fleetwood? Is it because the HT4100

The '81 Fleetwood didn't have the 4100. The HT4100 wasn't introduced until '82. The engine that everyone is complaining about the is the 368 big block equipped with fuel injection and a pioneering effort at displacement on demand. The problem is the cylinder deactivation system was trouble prone. This was an easy fix though, by simply cutting a single wire. The engine itself was rock solid, as well as the car around the engine.

They also named the '95 Explorer as being one of the worst cars because it sold SO WELL that it started the craze of everyone wanting a bigger tougher feeling vehicle. Nothing wrong with the truck itself, but because it was the catalyst for the trend that so many people frown upon now it inherently sucks? What a friggen crock.

thestig8
07-20-11, 01:26 AM
How is the BMW 7-Series on there?

Aron9000
07-20-11, 01:44 AM
The 2002 7 series was a downright ugly car IMO. Plus it had an impossible to use interface with the main control screen and reliability for those first year cars sucked. BMW has been on a major slide since the introduction of that car IMO.

Playdrv4me
07-21-11, 02:14 AM
How is the BMW 7-Series on there?

That particular generation of 7 was a low point for BMW in every possible respect. They gambled on giving near full creative design control to Chris Bangle and he nearly destroyed the entire car in one fell swoop. I'll be honest, I don't completely hate certain aspects of the design, but the front end began that horrid trend of over-plastification on everything. It's also one of the most quickly aging designs ever produced. It became "old" really quickly.

Even in this photo I grabbed from Wikipedia, you can see how poorly the front end fits together with variable panel gaps as you get close to the headlights. I really hate when design elements make a car look as though it's been wrecked even when its brand new on the showroom floor...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cd/BMW_745i_2_--_04-22-2010.jpg/800px-BMW_745i_2_--_04-22-2010.jpg

What's worse, the mechanicals and electronics were nothing short of disastrous. The N62 V8 (introduced on the 7 but used in many other vehicles) is prone to an internal coolant leak in literally a 10 cent crossover pipe o-ring that essentially requires removal and reassembly of the ENTIRE front end of the engine. If you are out of warranty, this repair can book at 40+ hours and easily reach 5-8000.00 at a dealer. The 6 speed transmission was known for slamming into gear, not shifting correctly, and a bunch of other anomalies. The fiber optic bus was a new innovation for BMW at the time and frequently caused strange errors to display, or certain functions to fail altogether for no reason. And these weren't just first year quibbles, this continued on pretty much throughout the entire run of the E65 and 66. Some guys had flawless '02s, and some guys had '06s that were ready for the junk heap. That's without even touching upon the much maligned iDrive, which as a nerd, I found perfectly acceptable... though I understand why many did not.

Essentially, the 2002 7 Series marked the beginning of the end for "classic" BMW.

orconn
07-21-11, 11:30 AM
That particular generation of 7 was a low point for BMW in every possible respect. They gambled on giving near full creative design control to Chris Bangle and he nearly destroyed the entire car in one fell swoop. I'll be honest, I don't completely hate certain aspects of the design, but the front end began that horrid trend of over-plastification on everything. It's also one of the most quickly aging designs ever produced. It became "old" really quickly.

Even in this photo I grabbed from Wikipedia, you can see how poorly the front end fits together with variable panel gaps as you get close to the headlights. I really hate when design elements make a car look as though it's been wrecked even when its brand new on the showroom floor...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cd/BMW_745i_2_--_04-22-2010.jpg/800px-BMW_745i_2_--_04-22-2010.jpg

What's worse, the mechanicals and electronics were nothing short of disastrous. The N62 V8 (introduced on the 7 but used in many other vehicles) is prone to an internal coolant leak in literally a 10 cent crossover pipe o-ring that essentially requires removal and reassembly of the ENTIRE front end of the engine. If you are out of warranty, this repair can book at 40+ hours and easily reach 5-8000.00 at a dealer. The 6 speed transmission was known for slamming into gear, not shifting correctly, and a bunch of other anomalies. The fiber optic bus was a new innovation for BMW at the time and frequently caused strange errors to display, or certain functions to fail altogether for no reason. And these weren't just first year quibbles, this continued on pretty much throughout the entire run of the E65 and 66. Some guys had flawless '02s, and some guys had '06s that were ready for the junk heap. That's without even touching upon the much maligned iDrive, which as a nerd, I found perfectly acceptable... though I understand why many did not.

Essentially, the 2002 7 Series marked the beginning of the end for "classic" BMW.

I agree, unfortunately a very good friend of mine bought one othese 7's for European delivery, right after they came out. I agree the "Bangled" BMW's were a low point for BMW, I'm not sure the company has recovered as yet!

Stingroo
07-21-11, 11:45 AM
Honestly I don't really see where it looks that bad. It looks like pretty much every other BMW product to me, just longer.

gary88
07-21-11, 12:37 PM
Actually Bangle didn't pen the car, current design head Adrian Von Hooydonk did and it was just approved under Bangle at the time.

I think mid-cycle refresh of the E65/6 looks pretty decent as it addresses some of the questionable design areas, although it still doesn't look like anything special.

http://i.imgur.com/X9xMI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/N6Rqd.jpg

The Alpina version on the other hand :drool:

http://i.imgur.com/wdCTL.jpg

Dusten
07-21-11, 02:25 PM
some of the cars on the list are there for stupid reasons.

Stingroo
07-21-11, 02:40 PM
Looks like all they did was add a front lip spoiler. Not impressed.

orconn
07-21-11, 03:22 PM
With the wide swing of automotive sentiment exhibited by those that chose the aforementioned list, with all their attempts a automotive historical sophistication, how could they have omitted the Wartburg?

Citing the 1958 Edsel is a bit sophomoric seeing as the Edsel was just a re skin of the highly successful 1957 Ford.

Jesda
07-21-11, 05:56 PM
Characterless, emotionless, and blobby. Burn in hell BMW.

Like everything I used to enjoy, it went to shit at the end of the 90s.

thebigjimsho
08-02-11, 03:38 PM
Mutha-bleepin' liberals! I can't believe I wasted my time on this list as I went from newer to older. The Model T is listed mainly because it caused every American to buy a car and now air quality is bad and we have soldiers in the middle east because of oil demand?

Garbage, garbage, garbage...

thebigjimsho
08-02-11, 03:40 PM
The 2002 7 series was a downright ugly car IMO. Plus it had an impossible to use interface with the main control screen and reliability for those first year cars sucked. BMW has been on a major slide since the introduction of that car IMO.I disagree. Newer iDrives have been praised for being user friendly. I also think the current 7 series to be quite attractive. I also think the new 5 series among the best looking sedans ever built by anyone.

brandondeleo
08-02-11, 03:49 PM
The new 5 series is one of the most BORING cars ever produced in my opinion, but yes, the iDrive system has improved greatly over the years and the new 7 series is a big improvement over the hit and miss '02.

orconn
08-02-11, 04:05 PM
The new 5 series is one of the most BORING cars ever produced in my opinion, but yes, the iDrive system has improved greatly over the years and the new 7 series is a big improvement over the hit and miss '02.

I take it you have personal experience with the foibles of the various renditions of I-Drive.

brandondeleo
08-02-11, 04:12 PM
I've used both the newer and older versions. The newer iDrive isn't as bad as the old one, but it still sucks.

Aron9000
08-03-11, 01:01 AM
I disagree. Newer iDrives have been praised for being user friendly. I also think the current 7 series to be quite attractive. I also think the new 5 series among the best looking sedans ever built by anyone.

Guess we'll have to disagree. The new 5 and 7 just look so boring and blob like IMO. Its like they took that rounded, blob like look from a 90's Chrysler or Buick and put it on their new cars. I love the older 80's/90's/early 2000's BMW because the cars were angular, hard edged, and looked slightly angry. Depending on the model(e39 M5, E24 6 series, E38 7 series especially) and color scheme, they looked flat out pissed off like they were coming over to kick your ass.

Stingroo
08-03-11, 08:03 AM
Now they look like Droopy.

http://www.annuaire.droopy.free.fr/img/droopy_4.gif
Hi, I'm a 5 series!

thebigjimsho
08-03-11, 12:37 PM
I think the new 5 series is much more like the original than the previous gen. Droopy? It's sheetmetal is tightly sculptured like it's skin was tightened. Very sleek.

thebigjimsho
08-03-11, 12:49 PM
As for me, if I could have any car south of $150K, I'd want an '88 M6 in blue with white leather interior.

Thank you, Bob Lutz!

gary88
08-03-11, 12:49 PM
F10 makes the E60 look like p00p in comparison

http://s2.desktopmachine.com/pics/BMW_5-2010_1174_1024x768.jpg

thebigjimsho
08-03-11, 01:23 PM
http://www.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/550i-M-Sport-1.jpg

http://thebmwblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/P90062174.jpg

http://cdn.egmcartech.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/2011_bmw_5_series_m_package_leak_images_003.jpg

Get your eyes checked, Roo. There is nothing droopy about this design. The ass end of your wagon? That's droopy...

gary88
08-03-11, 01:42 PM
http://s2.desktopmachine.com/pics/BMW_M5_2011_20_1024x768.jpg

That guy is thinking "I wish this car wasn't so droopy."

orconn
08-03-11, 01:44 PM
Droopy may not be the word, but heavy and dull wouldn't be far off. These cars look like they would stick to the road in a bad way!

thebigjimsho
08-03-11, 02:07 PM
Go see one in person, then.

Stingroo
08-03-11, 02:23 PM
All the hood creases in the world don't make it look any better to my eye. It's just "meh."

thebigjimsho
08-03-11, 06:11 PM
Your eye is meh.

gary88
08-03-11, 06:51 PM
:eye:

cadillac kevin
08-03-11, 10:08 PM

after the 4th one they keep getting progressively uglier.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-04-11, 07:26 AM
I agree that the F10 is better looking than the E60, but I also agree that the pinnacle of the 5 Series is the E39. It was just such a clean, simple, handsome design that will always look good.

ThumperPup
08-04-11, 10:37 AM

the only ones i have ever liked where 2 and 3

gdwriter
08-05-11, 02:06 PM
I prefer the 5-Series from two generations back, but the current model is definitely an improvement over the generation that immediately preceded it. But honestly, since I'll never own one, I don't much care.

drewsdeville
08-05-11, 04:09 PM
after the 3th one they keep getting progressively uglier.

Fixed

Stingroo
08-05-11, 06:52 PM
3th, Drew? :suspect:

drewsdeville
08-05-11, 09:03 PM
after the 3rd one they keep getting progressively uglier.

Fixed, again :thumbsup:.