: A little helpful advice.

brandondeleo
07-17-11, 04:34 AM
When staying at a hotel, NEVER book with sources like Expedia, Hotwire, of Travelocity. They often cost more than the rates at the hotel would be, and they often make mistakes in the booking process. Next, ALWAYS call or visit the hotel directly. The desk manager has complete control over the rates and booking processes. If you have any problems with your room, NEVER be a bitch to the desk manager. They will not help you and possibly mess things up for you just for fun if you are an *******. Best thing to do, be very friendly to the desk manager at all times, because it pays off. Just a bit of advice.

ben.gators
07-17-11, 05:11 AM
edited....

brandondeleo
07-17-11, 05:17 AM
^Understood.

Jesda
07-17-11, 06:02 AM
Nope.

hueterm
07-17-11, 09:08 AM
Jesda, if you had to book w/the hotel (instead of through James Tiberius Kirk), you'd be sleeping in the back of Ducky w/Newton's anal glands WAY too close to your face...

:histeric:

brandondeleo
07-17-11, 09:12 AM
I can't imagine the back of a Saab is very comfortable... Especially when put that way. Haha

Ranger
07-17-11, 01:31 PM
NEVER book with sources like Expedia, Hotwire, of Travelocity. They often cost more than the rates at the hotel would be
They are always more. That's how they make money.

vincentm
07-17-11, 01:45 PM
I worked front desk at hotels for years and I can say booking directly though the hotel is best, hotwire etc can find you some deals but you mainly save when you purchase travel packes from said companies, I know all the ins amd outs of hotels, did it for so many years

Jesda
07-17-11, 02:37 PM
Calling the hotel gets you the list price. You can ask for AAA or AARP discount, but you won't save that much.

Doubletree in Columbus Ohio: Lists for $109/night before tax
Priceline: $60 with tax and booking fees

Skip the BS with the desk jockey and let Priceline earn $5 for saving you the trouble. The hotel doesnt want to give you its lowest price over the phone because it doesnt have to.

orconn
07-17-11, 03:11 PM
^^^What say, Vincent?

Playdrv4me
07-17-11, 07:30 PM
Priceline or Motel 6. Expedia is good for flights but worthless for hotels.

The good thing about PLN is that each hotel submits their minimum bid for that night anyway, so if it's a busy weekend or holiday you won't save much, but better than the front desk would offer.

Ranger
07-17-11, 08:58 PM
Some of you may remember in June my buddy and I went on the Hot Rod Power Tour. For those who don't know what that is, it is probably the largest traveling muscle car show in the U.S. It started out in Fla. (where it ended last year) and ended up in Detroit. They travel about 250 mi. per day and whatever predetermined city they stop at has another car show. There are literally hundreds of cars. We picked it up in Indy where it took over the speedway. Next day we went up to Muskegon Mi. (ran into GismoQ there). My buddy tried to get a hotel in Muskegon, but they where all booked so he called one of the above mentioned places (I don't recall which, lets call it Expedia) and got 2 rooms 12 miles away in Whitehall for $99 each. When we checked out we asked for a receipt and the desk clerk told us we'd have to get it from Expedia since we booked with them and they do not want us to know what they charged you for the room. Now this was a very small independent motel and had a small lobby and the owner happened to be sitting there having coffee. He made some comment about them selling "unsold rooms" and rolled his eyes. He said I'll bet they charged you around $99 (bingo). When I asked what his price was, he said $75. That's my story and I'm stick'in too it. Made a believer out of me.

Playdrv4me
07-17-11, 09:31 PM
Keep in mind that PLN and Expedia function in totally different ways. Expedia (and Priceline if you just go to the public price page), Hotwire etc. post pre-determined prices based on what they negotiate and like you mentioned, there's certainly nothing stopping them from negotiating a cheap price with the hotel and then selling it for more based on market conditions. However, Priceline's bid service works a little differently. Hotels submit the lowest amounts they'd accept for a given night or period of time, and the user submits the lowest bid he thinks will fly. I imagine that the way Priceline makes a killing on Name Your Price is that the vast majority of people *probably* bid WAAY too high to begin with, and thus Priceline rakes in the difference between the hotel's minimum and what the user actually offered. And you have to be careful, because you are only allowed to bid a certain number of times before you're locked out for 24 hours, so this also prevents people from bidding too low right off the bat. If you do a little research though, you can usually nail it right at the "sweet spot" and get a great price.

brandondeleo
07-18-11, 12:49 AM
I worked front desk at hotels for years and I can say booking directly though the hotel is best, hotwire etc can find you some deals but you mainly save when you purchase travel packes from said companies, I know all the ins amd outs of hotels, did it for so many years In the same boat here. I am the front desk manager at a Holiday Inn Express.

Playdrv4me
07-18-11, 01:10 AM
In the same boat here. I am the front desk manager at a Holiday Inn Express.

Ahh, that explains the late night posting!

My brother was the Night Manager for a Hilton hotel in town for a few years also.

brandondeleo
07-18-11, 01:12 AM
Exactly. All of my activity on this site is between midnight and five in the morning because I am the night manager. Haha. I post things and comment on things, then I see the replies the next night. Being nocturnal is interesting. Lol

Playdrv4me
07-18-11, 01:14 AM
He's long since moved into the corporate world since then, but he has frequently told me that he fondly remembers his time at that Hilton as one of the most fun and interesting jobs he ever had.

brandondeleo
07-18-11, 01:18 AM
The words of Hilton himself, "There are two ways to get to where I have gotten. You can go to school, get a business degree, get into the hotel business and work your way up, or you can get into the hotel business and work your way up!". Lol. I am working on a degree right now, but I am doing the latter until my hard work at the university pays off. :P

Aron9000
07-18-11, 01:30 AM
I work at a 4 diamond/4 star hotel and can tell you that Priceline customers do get better rates. The thing about that name your own price service is you don't know at which hotel you'll end up. I scored a nice room at the Marriott Marquis in downtown Atlanta for $80 using price line, it was a DAMN nice 1000 room convention hotel.

And I agree about being nice to the front desk agent. I know the ones where I work will put you in a shitty room if you're a jerk. All the rooms that end in 17 are tiny, and are jokingly called the ******* rooms.

Playdrv4me
07-18-11, 01:39 AM
I work at a 4 diamond/4 star hotel and can tell you that Priceline customers do get better rates. The thing about that name your own price service is you don't know at which hotel you'll end up. I scored a nice room at the Marriott Marquis in downtown Atlanta for $80 using price line, it was a DAMN nice 1000 room convention hotel.

And I agree about being nice to the front desk agent. I know the ones where I work will put you in a shitty room if you're a jerk. All the rooms that end in 17 are tiny, and are jokingly called the ******* rooms.

When I was in Vegas the girl put me in the room next to the noisy elevator mechanical room, so I called the front desk and asked nicely to be moved and I got a higher floor and an even better view.

gdwriter
07-18-11, 02:01 AM
I NEVER treat the desk clerk, waiter/waitress or bartender rudely. First, I was raised to have good manners. Second, being an arrogant a**hole usually results in worse service. If I have a complaint, I make every effort to be polite and reasonable. But I hate it when I get attitude in return. Then all bets are off.

ben.gators
07-18-11, 02:20 AM
Night manager at a hotel... I bet such a job should come with interesting stories...... lol

Jesda
07-18-11, 02:51 AM
Being nice to the front desk person scores you an extra cookie at the Doubletree (usually by simply saying "may I please have another cookie?")

If I could live in a Doubletree, I would. Of all the hotel chains, its the most warm and inviting. I may be biased because I worked at one when I was a kid. Lots of wacky stuff happened. Robberies, naked people, suicides, parties, etc. Never a dull night.

brandondeleo
07-18-11, 04:05 AM
Night manager at a hotel... I bet such a job should come with interesting stories...... lolYou have no idea. Lol. If you come to my hotel and you are pleasant, I have been known to give free upgrades to bigger rooms and suites, discounts (sometimes substantial), and free merchandise (candy, sodas and water, cookies). I can tell you one thing, though. There is nothing like being the only staff member on site and having the fire alarm go off in a 100 room hotel at 2 in the morning. That was an interesting night... False alarm, too. I had to comp. like 70 rooms that night. That was at Super 8 when I worked there.

Jesda
07-18-11, 05:06 AM
I was at a friend's apartment and had a fire alarm wake me up. I put the pillow over my head and attempted to sleep through it.

I'll be damned if some flames get in the way of my slumber.

Ranger
07-18-11, 11:51 AM
Deleted.

brandondeleo
07-18-11, 02:42 PM
Deleted....?

Ranger
07-19-11, 11:10 AM
What I had posted had already been said. Once I realized it, I deleted my post.

brandondeleo
07-19-11, 09:50 PM
What I had posted had already been said. Once I realized it, I deleted my post.Oh, ok. I was confused. Lol.

thebigjimsho
08-02-11, 02:35 PM
I'll be damned if some flamers get in the way of my slumber.So you just let them go at it?