: Mounting a Tach

7.0,hellyeah
10-19-04, 02:36 PM
I've got a '79 coupe deville and I was wondering if anyone else has a tach mounted in theirs. I want it at a place that will be visible and easy to look at but isnt in the way. I was thinking about the steering column maybe at like a 4 or 5 o'clock position. Theres no good dash space or center control space. Any other suggestions?

caddyladdy
10-20-04, 05:13 AM
My 74 coupe deville has a drop down ash tray that would be a dandy spot for some gauges. I don't know if your car has anything like that or not.

I have given serious thought to pulling the spedo out and using a couple of round gauges in mine. But what to do with the shift indicator kinda has me thinking no.

Insomniac
10-21-04, 09:27 PM
NOOOO!! don't take out the spedo, those are so cool! you'll just have to guess how fast your going after 85 ;) .

Night Wolf
10-22-04, 12:24 AM
that is a question...

witht he cable-driven speedos, if you go over 85 does that ruin the cbale, and therofre break the speedo? I have hear stories of people going faster then 85 on random older cars and then the speedo working...

.. for that reason I try to keep the speed under 90ish as my speedo on the '79 is perfect, harldy any flutter at all.. i don't want to ruin it...

... best place to mount a tach is right on the colum... the come with the bracket to do it, all you need is a pipe clamp thing, it woudln't be int he way either... IIRC 3-1/2" is the perfect one... then set the redline to a massive.... 4,200rpm :)

DaveSmed
10-22-04, 12:36 AM
Flutter is usually the sign of a speedo cable starting to go.... From what I have seen, it doesnt really do anything to the speedometer head. I have a friend who exceeded 85 regularly in his old Oldsmobile G-body. The gearing was all top end with that car too. Anyway, given the way the speedometers are driven, usually with a magnetic wheel turning a steel drum solely by magnetism, and the drum hed in check by a clock spring that the magnets must overcome, it would be hard to damage one by overspeeding, especially one where needle travel is limited by a pin or a sweep style. One of my friends learned how important that spring is when I had his gage cluster apart for some reason or another, and he picked it up and started playing with it. He removed the stop pin and spun it before I could stop him. After that, if you were doing about 25 mph, the speedometer in the truck showed 40.

evilrussian
10-23-04, 08:20 PM
Here's an idea...
http://kirill350.dyndns.org/images/000_0039.JPG

Night Wolf
10-23-04, 09:02 PM
I take it that car is not stock? (byt he red line mark on the tach)

looks to origanally be a HT4100 car...

... different, yes, but it does look nice..

evilrussian
10-23-04, 09:15 PM
I take it that car is not stock? (byt he red line mark on the tach)

looks to origanally be a HT4100 car...

... different, yes, but it does look nice..
Not 4100 anymore... Swapped for 350 out of a '92 caprice 9C1, carbed not TBI.

7.0,hellyeah
10-25-04, 09:41 PM
I do like the idea of the mounting above the sterio, but the leather wont hoold the tachs weight. Did you drill holes in it first or what. Right now my tach is temporarily mounted on my steering column, it won't be easy to mount it w/ a pipe clamp because all of the steering column stuff is in the way(turn signal, telescope adjustment, angle adjustment, some other thing). I was thinking about on the rotating part of the steering wheel but then the wires would twist.

Night Wolf
10-25-04, 09:54 PM
sicne you have a tach, what RPM does it shift form 1-2 and 2-3 at WOT? and what does it idel at? what does it turn over around 75 when curisng otn he highway?..... any other neat RPM info for us non-tach guys?

7.0,hellyeah
10-31-04, 12:03 PM
For my '79 deville its shifting at around 2500rpm. If you shift it you'll notice that taking it any higher wont yeild better results. The low rpm's are where all the power is. I dont know about 2-3 though.

cadillacdeville
10-31-04, 05:21 PM
maybe the up on the front left pillar if its not to big also pushing the needle past 85 doesn't hurt it I've taken my 77 deville up to around 100 where you could not see the needle at all slowed down and it works fine right on the dot